Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just bought 2013 Charger (manufactured 12/2012) RT Plus, 5-speed auto, 30k miles. I noticed the steering wheel can be operated by a pinky if I so desired, it's very friction-less.

I'm in Europe and I'm not very used to US cars, most cars here have some heft to the steering wheel, you sort of feel the mass moving. In Charger however, it gives me very low resistance. Is this normal?

Picture included for noticing :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I had a 2013, but cannot remember if there was a sport setting for the steering...look in the Uconnect menu to see if you have "Sport Mode" available. The pre 2015's use an electro-hydraulic system (pump powered by an electric motor) the 2015 and up are all electric (no pump) and there are three modes available (I set my 2016's to sport).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have Sport mode in Uconnect, but that has no effect on steering, or at least I couldn't notice. The sport mode doesn't allow for any individual settings, just on/off.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Then you are likely stuck with the sloppy steering :( Sport mode generally just uses a lot more gas by holding the transmission in gear longer, it is not intended for full time use.

Nice looking car by the way.. Is that a Czech license plate?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The European cars I have driven were rack & pinion without any power steering. Most USA cars have power steering & it does not take any effort to turn the wheel ... especially when the car is moving.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My 2013 R/T Plus is electric power steering. I forget what the system is called but the steering will give you more feedback the faster you go.
If you want sport mode by the way, look into AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking car by the way.. Is that a Czech license plate?
Thanks! It is Czech, we get a decent supply of US cars here in EU, since Germany has the Ramstein AFB with tens of thousands of American personnel and they like to drive "domestic" :)

The European cars I have driven were rack & pinion without any power steering. Most USA cars have power steering & it does not take any effort to turn the wheel ... especially when the car is moving.
I also had 2006 Mustang GT few years back and it was the same story. I was just surprised to see it on 2013 Charger, since my 2007 BMW E91 330xi came standard with variable resistance steering.

If you want sport mode by the way, look into AlfaOBD.
Yes! Found this and it's exactly what I needed. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts