Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the flex fuel conversion on my 06' RT.

Took about 20 minutes, and it now gets 113 miles to the petroleum gallon (still gets the same mileage, but only 15% is gasoline). Why would anybody drive a Prius when you can be clean and have a bad A** car. I can't wait for the Predators to come out. With E85 at 105 octane right out of the pump I can't wait to turn up the global spark advance! Plus E85 is cheaper than GAS!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
E85 means it's 85% gas (15% ethanol).
Didn't know they had a conversion kit out, didn't know you could.
Enlighten us, pictures, write-up, etc.!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hmm, same here, didn't even know it was possible with our Chargers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
E85 may be cheaper than gas but you will not get the same mpg as running normal 89 octane. E85 burns less efficient than normal gas so unless you somehow made your motor run more efficiently then your mpg will drop about 15 to 20%. I do love the fact that it is 100+ octane.....I always thought that the newer sports cars should be flex fuel to take advantage of this. That way you can have the extra power whenever you decide to run E85 but can still get decent mpg when you put in 89 octane. keep us posted on how your mileage turns out running E85 because I'm curious as to how much it will drop with our MDS system.

·
Registered
245 Posts
E85 means it's 85% gas (15% ethanol).
Didn't know they had a conversion kit out, didn't know you could.
Enlighten us, pictures, write-up, etc.!
You've got it backwards, E85 if 85% ethanol, and 15% gas.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i recall the manual stating do not use e85 or any mixture with ethanol. the charger was not designed for it, essentially voiding your warranty if used. just like if you filled up with diesel. but if there really is a conversion kit, lets see some information/pics.

3 years ago my senior design project was to design an ethanol production plant using corn. At 15MG/yr, it wasnt going to be profitable in the 10yr forecast. At 50MG/yr it was close to breaking even. Only way was if the government subsidized capital costs and special grants, etc. and then there is the distribution problem. The US has pipelines across the whole country, but can't be used for e85. So it has be trucked or carried by rail, which raises the cost of e85. Unless they miracally install thousands of miles of new pipeline.

And yeah its true, less mpg is achieved with e85.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I've been looking at different kits myself, and pondering installing one. The only problem is...there are no ethanol stations in my area (there are 2, but they are for government use only :( )

If this is true,
i recall the manual stating do not use e85 or any mixture with ethanol. the charger was not designed for it, essentially voiding your warranty if used.
, I'll have to rethink things. Gotta go look at my manual.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Just finished the flex fuel conversion on my 06' RT.

Took about 20 minutes, and it now gets 113 miles to the petroleum gallon (still gets the same mileage, but only 15% is gasoline). Why would anybody drive a Prius when you can be clean and have a bad A** car. I can't wait for the Predators to come out. With E85 at 105 octane right out of the pump I can't wait to turn up the global spark advance! Plus E85 is cheaper than GAS!!!

113 MPG? Am I missing something??

I used it when I was in the midwest and dropped 4 mpg.:(
Added to the fact that it was more expensive than super unleaded I don't like it.:no:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Yes, you are missing something.

He is only burning 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol, so he can go 115 miles per gallon of GAS!

He is still getting say 23 mpg, but of that , only 15 % is gas being burned

·
Registered
122 Posts
My first thought was - "This has got to be BS!". But a little Live Search returned a number of links including this one:

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Detail?no=129

which would indicate that it is possible. The cost is $500 and while the E85 is cheaper it is not as efficient so your MPG goes down as does the performance but we do have 390 f/p so you might feel okay about wasting a bit of that. I haven't got used to being able to go uphill like a rocketship - maybe I convert when the novelty wears off. Yeah, right!

One really important advantage of E85: It can be produced locally which means that we wouldn't lose gas production and get stiffed with bogus price rises every time a cloud passes over the rigs in the Gulf.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
screw the "environment". why dont you take a stand against something that we can actually effect. like exctintion of species. preservation of artifacts.

when are all these hippies gonna get it thru their head that humans have virtually no effect on global warming?

weve only had machines capable of producing these gases for a hundred years now? sorry. but what we have done to this earth is virtually nothing.

since the very first engine was built, since the invention of the very first item in teh world that produced ANY sort of emmissions, the total ammount that humans have contributed to global warming is somewhere around 1%. as opposed to teh otehr 99% that is caused by the earth (over that same span of time). **ok these numbers arent exact. but close nuff**

whats next? try to stop the ice age?

this is a cycle the planet goes thru. why dont you go look up the ammount of carbon dioxide that all other organisms in the world give off. humans and what we do pales in comparison.

ill stick to my 93 octane high revving super power v8 and continue having no REAL affect on this planets atmosphere.

the thought of having a fuel cell to power my car is depressing. im gonna miss my big blocks. hopefully theyll fly tho. that might make up for it.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
One really important advantage of E85: It can be produced locally which means that we wouldn't lose gas production and get stiffed with bogus price rises every time a cloud passes over the rigs in the Gulf.
This all sounds good until you actually do the math. If EVERY acre of the United States was dedicated to corn production and we used EVERY kernel for ethanol production (nevermind the animal feed or human consumption), we could replace maybe 5-10% of imported petroleum. E85 is a feel good press stunt that is a non-starter in terms of having the ability to make any dent in the problem whatsoever.

Best,

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
screw the "environment". why dont you take a stand against something that we can actually effect. like exctintion of species. preservation of artifacts.

when are all these hippies gonna get it thru their head that humans have virtually no effect on global warming?

weve only had machines capable of producing these gases for a hundred years now? sorry. but what we have done to this earth is virtually nothing.

since the very first engine was built, since the invention of the very first item in teh world that produced ANY sort of emmissions, the total ammount that humans have contributed to global warming is somewhere around 1%. as opposed to teh otehr 99% that is caused by the earth (over that same span of time). **ok these numbers arent exact. but close nuff**
thats a pretty silly statement, where do you get those numbers. ya ever see smog, that aint natural. you live in a city? you aware that your children will be more likely to develop asthma because of the pollutants where you live? while i do believe the changes in the environment could potentially be part of the natural ebb and flow, it really doesn't hurt to use more efficient light bulbs (just an example, saves you money) and being a little more conscious about what your doing. now im sure as hell keepin my hemi, but complete denial of global warming is stupid. im all for things to help fight it, but most of the things people have come up with don't. i do think something needs to be done in some of the fast developing countries so that they control their pollution(india for example). we do a pretty decent job in the US. im not a complete hippy (even though i have a thread concerning streaming grateful dead music) because i think sure as hell we should be drilling in alaska. screw those opec bastards.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
thats a pretty silly statement, where do you get those numbers. ya ever see smog, that aint natural. you live in a city? you aware that your children will be more likely to develop asthma because of the pollutants where you live?
Not for nothing, but ethanol in auto fuel INCREASES smog. See the article I cited above.

Best,

·
Registered
235 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts