Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forums,

When driving my 2006 Charger in the rain, the dash cluster lights will begin to flash and the engine will lose power and have trouble shifting. Once I pull over and shut off the engine, I have trouble starting the car. The dealer, Danbury Dodge in Danbury, CT says they cannot replicate the problem and refuses to do any repairs. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Woj

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Sounds like bad insulation somewhere leading to intermittent shorting and/or arc'ing.

I suppose it could be reproduced by spraying the underside of the car with water as it was on a lift running, or around the engine compartment. Sometimes a wiring problem can only be reproduced during motion, due to the torquing of the drivetrain (engine/tranny, etc.) such that wires are stretched or end up touching other metal components.

With a little bit of effort, this kind of problem can surely be tracked down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer mentioned loss of communication codes. The best idea I can come up with is to take it out on a rainy day and drive until the problem occurs.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Where's the PCM located on our cars? Maybe it would be worthwhile to follow the wiring from the PCM's location and look for something obvious and likely to be exposed to humidity. Could be something as "simple" as a harness going through the firewall getting chafed on a sharp edge of the hole (ie. misplaced or improperly installed grommet).

Sounds like your dealer has some issues with finding personnel qualified in troubleshooting. Maybe it would be best to sit with the advisor and calmly offer to transfer the issue to another garage in order to improve the chances of resolving this issue in a timely manner. The key is to do so calmly, free of emotion. At this stage, if it is a matter of saving face with respect to the parent company and local dealers, it may help drive them to a quicker solution. Otherwise, if they don't care, your best bet would still be to get your car to someone more competent and qualified to fix your car.

I had my first Marauder about 1.5 months when it stalled on me about 150 miles away from home, and wouldn't crank at all. After flatbedding it to my dealer (the dealers in the region where my car failed were all on strike), I was told it was a PCM fuse that blew and that the car was now running. The technician however refused to release the car, and drove it into the bay. After a few attempts at trying different things, he managed to reproduce the problem: since it happened when I was backing up a hill, he managed to torque up the engine in reverse with the brakes on and PAFF there went the fuse again. The proper diagnosis: chafed wiring harness that shorted any number of exposed wires to a firewall bracket when the engine was torqued enough in the reverse direction. The moral of the story: find a good technician, and keep him!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks for the replies. I will try the hose again. The charger puts the was on its skin or else is gets the hose again...

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The PCM is located under the hood on the passenger side firewall, about the same hight as the master cylinder on the other side of the car.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The moral of the story: find a good technician, and keep him!

Few and Far between !!!!!!!

Buy that man a beer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts