Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first real hand wash of any car in like 10 years. Got my 2008 Charger a couple of weeks ago, bought the Ice car wash with a microfiber towel kit from Costco's (which sucked btw). Anyway I cleaned up the car real good using the 2 bucket method, got it all nice and clean, ran up to get the camera to take a picture to post here, got back down, and it was raining :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
I feel for ya. I washed, waxed, detail spray, vaccume/clean the enterior last sat and tgen had to go through muddy construction zones all week. So I washed my car 4 x last week

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tell you 1 thing. After washing the car I just realized all of the scratches and marks it has. I have alot of work to do.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That suck dude, There is a real good product that I use but there not a vendor here. Mine is Black so you know that I have to use the best out there.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
You csn still post a cleaning product. I have an entire meguires kit wax, spray wax, detailer, tires. Tgen I have eagle1 for my windows.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You csn still post a cleaning product. I have an entire meguires kit wax, spray wax, detailer, tires. Tgen I have eagle1 for my windows.

Allright then It's TurboWax products and could not be happier.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That suck dude, There is a real good product that I use but there not a vendor here. Mine is Black so you know that I have to use the best out there.
There's a real good product that you can use and they are a supporting vendor here. You must be new to the detailing section on this forum to not know of it. Look at some of the threads that I have started. You can see first hand how Adam's products work without spending a dime. I have posted enough videos and pictures to give you a solid idea of what Adam's can do for your ride when used correctly. Stay out of Costco, Auto Zone, Pep Boys (etc...) for your car care products if you are serious about taking care of your ride. As you found out, that stuff is garbage.

One more thing that you get with any of the Adam's products that you can't get with some of the other stuff mentioned here, and that's a 100% satisfaction, money back guarantee.

Let me know if you have ANY questions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There's a real good product that you can use and they are a supporting vendor here. You must be new to the detailing section on this forum to not know of it. Look at some of the threads that I have started. You can see first hand how Adam's products work without spending a dime. I have posted enough videos and pictures to give you a solid idea of what Adam's can do for your ride when used correctly. Stay out of Costco, Auto Zone, Pep Boys (etc...) for your car care products if you are serious about taking care of your ride. As you found out, that stuff is garbage.

One more thing that you get with any of the Adam's products that you can't get with some of the other stuff mentioned here, and that's a 100% satisfaction, money back guarantee.

Otc products garbage i dunno about that bro. NXT,turtle wax ice,duragloss and collinite just to name a few are solid products to maintain and clean your ride. Its the polish's and the microfiber towels that totally stink though your right you have to go to the boutique lines to fix that nasty scratch's and swirls using a PC. Most of the members on the autopia.org(most anal group of people you will ever meet maintaining your ride) agree you dont need to spend a ton of money on car soap just regular megs gold glass is just fine. Good technique like you have teached many times can go a long way vs a guy who use's expensive products and has no clue what he's doing. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Alot of the issue depend on where you live and water quality as far as the Car wash soap, Most otc soaps don't do well for me where I live on the black.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Otc products garbage i dunno about that bro. NXT,turtle wax ice,duragloss and collinite just to name a few are solid products to maintain and clean your ride. Its the polish's and the microfiber towels that totally stink though your right you have to go to the boutique lines to fix that nasty scratch's and swirls using a PC. Most of the members on the autopia.org(most anal group of people you will ever meet maintaining your ride) agree you dont need to spend a ton of money on car soap just regular megs gold glass is just fine. Good technique like you have teached many times can go a long way vs a guy who use's expensive products and has no clue what he's doing. :bigthumb:
NXT and Turtle Wax Ice are full of fillers that make the paint look pretty but doesn't fix anything or last long. They remind me of people who buy those spinner hubcaps and roll around like they actually have spinner rims. To those of us who know, that's kind of ridiculous.

The way I see it, if you are going to take the time to do the job, then take the time to do it right. I mean, it's a Dodge Charger, not a Volkswagen Beetle. There is some American pride involved here. The key here is, you have to know what result are you shooting for. Some of people are not going to take the time necessary to get the anal results that I shoot for. For some folks, the products you mentioned give them the results that they want. However, a lot of folks don't know any better. That's where I come in.

If the only thing you have driven in your life are $300 beaters and you have never had any problems out of them, why would you spend the money on a new, fully loaded Charger with boosted horsepower? It is the day that you smash the pedal and have your head bounce off the back window that wakes you up to what you've been missing all this time. I try to be like Morpheus, offering the red pill to those who want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. Some people prefer the blue pill, and choose to remain in the land of bliss.

Meguiar's has plenty of products in their professional line that will more than do the job and then some, without having to resort to their commercial garbage. You couldn't give me free stock in a Turtle Wax product. If the OP wants a shine like my shine, there are a few products that will get him there. I show how it is done with Adam's products. There are others who can show him how it is done with other brands. That commercial junk he bought is not on that list, as he found out. So for the OP, I offer up the red pill.

Alice is waiting. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, what Junkman said about Adams. I've been using Adams for several years now and I wouldn't use anything else period. I even used it on my lawn tractor just to see how well it would bring back the paint. Awesome. Don't let the price of Adams produsts scare you off. By the time you by all the other crap out there and wind up throwing it away, you will have easily purchased all the Adams stuff you need.

·
Registered
183 Posts
NXT and Turtle Wax Ice are full of fillers that make the paint look pretty but doesn't fix anything or last long. They remind me of people who buy those spinner hubcaps and roll around like they actually have spinner rims. To those of us who know, that's kind of ridiculous.

The way I see it, if you are going to take the time to do the job, then take the time to do it right. I mean, it's a Dodge Charger, not a Volkswagen Beetle. There is some American pride involved here. The key here is, you have to know what result are you shooting for. Some of people are not going to take the time necessary to get the anal results that I shoot for. For some folks, the products you mentioned give them the results that they want. However, a lot of folks don't know any better. That's where I come in.

If the only thing you have driven in your life are $300 beaters and you have never had any problems out of them, why would you spend the money on a new, fully loaded Charger with boosted horsepower? It is the day that you smash the pedal and have your head bounce off the back window that wakes you up to what you've been missing all this time. I try to be like Morpheus, offering the red pill to those who want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. Some people prefer the red pill, and choose to remain in the land of bliss.

Meguiar's has plenty of products in their professional line that will more than do the job and then some, without having to resort to their commercial garbage. You couldn't give me free stock in a Turtle Wax product. If the OP wants a shine like my shine, there are a few products that will get him there. I show how it is done with Adam's products. There are others who can show him how it is done with other brands. That commercial junk he bought is not on that list, as he found out. So for the OP, I offer up the red pill.

Alice is waiting. :D

Junkman u always make me laugh:D On a more serious note u and i view things different thats for sure. When it comes to my daily drivers no way im going to pull out the PC and use my expensive boutique chemicals on my SUV when otc will do just fine besides there is just no passion in it for me with my dailys. The ice line fills the void just wonderfully it goes on quick protects the car and has a ok shine to it. If i had to use my zaino or adams i would simply not do it i would stop. Now for my expensive toys i really enjoy spending time with them and like to treat them with expensive chemicals so zaino or adams gets the call i enjoy every minute of it. Just a different way of viewing things :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, what Junkman said about Adams. I've been using Adams for several years now and I wouldn't use anything else period. I even used it on my lawn tractor just to see how well it would bring back the paint. Awesome. Don't let the price of Adams produsts scare you off. By the time you by all the other crap out there and wind up throwing it away, you will have easily purchased all the Adams stuff you need.
Lawn tractor with adams now thats hardcore lol:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Junkman u always make me laugh:D On a more serious note u and i view things different thats for sure. When it comes to my daily drivers no way im going to pull out the PC and use my expensive boutique chemicals on my SUV when otc will do just fine besides there is just no passion in it for me with my dailys. The ice line fills the void just wonderfully it goes on quick protects the car and has a ok shine to it. If i had to use my zaino or adams i would simply not do it i would stop. Now for my expensive toys i really enjoy spending time with them and like to treat them with expensive chemicals so zaino or adams gets the call i enjoy every minute of it. Just a different way of viewing things :D
Actually, you and I are almost exactly in agreement here except I do absolutely NOTHING to my daily driver. I don't even wash it, much less wax it. My daily driver gets NO love except for the drive train. I makes sure that it runs like a beast but it is one ugly, bird crapped up dirty mess to look at until it rains. Like I said if I'm going to do it, I'm doing it right or not at all and I would never do that much work to a daily driver.

Lawn tractor with adams now thats hardcore lol:bigthumb:
Very hardcore! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
My charger is my only car and daily driver so for me meguires line is affordable and works great.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are a gazillion products out there and you truly won't know how good a product is until you compare it with others.

I know when I first started out I used Palmolive (dish soap) and a kitchen sponge to clean my Charger!!!!!! After I was done washing it, it looked clean for a good 10minutes before all the dust started sticking to it. Hey at the time I was happy with it because that was all I could afford (I was 18 at the time and now I'm 20)

I've recently really gotten into detailing and have had the opportunity to try many many soaps, polishes, and witnessed many different methods to washing and maintaining a car from professionals that deal with high end exotic cars. I was fortunate enough to travel a bit to meet some of these guys. I went to a detail clinic and we were fortunate enough to have a detail expert who was in the country for the weekend and really showed some helpful tips.

My charger is a daily driver and I don't have garage space so its parked outside all the time and it still looks fresh every time I drive it. People still compliment me on that - it's the pride I take from maintaining it.

There are different types of products and each of these products caters to a different line of people that I've noticed.

1. The cheap OTC stuff you buy at your local department store is meant for people who drive any normal sedan and don't really care about its appearance other than just keeping it clean. These products shouldn't even be on the shelves. NuFinish is an example of this (say they are the "once a year car polish")

2. The well packaged OTC stuff you buy like Techwax or NXT that is marketed to those that know very little about paint maintenance but drive nice cars and are looking for a little bit more for their car. These type of products claim to restore your original paint finish and give it that show car shine but without the hassle. Generally these customers do not know about the next line of products (#3).

3. The true enthusiast products. People that actually care about their cars and do a bit of research find about these lines and wonder what they ever did without them. Business lines like Adams, Menzerna, 3M, Meguiars (meguiars has products that also go in #1 and #2), Chemical Guys, Pinnacle, etc.... These products actually do what they say.

Theres a wide variety of products out there that is meant for the average Joe and the marketing behind these false products is what attracts people and these products have very temporary effects. Just like the dish soap I was using that lasted 10 minutes these products will give your car a nice appearance for a couple days at most! When you use products that are in the third category they will really enhance your car's appearance. You will spend a few dollars extra but it essentially works out to be cheaper if you see how long it lasts.

Now some can argue that there should be a 4th category with all the Swissvax and Zymol treatments but that can be saved for another thread in another forum. And at these type of brands many argue you're just paying for the name.

So my proposition is this: Those of you who are in category #2 just sample some products from category #3 and I guarantee you will never go back. Junkman is a vendor for Adams so you can buy Adams Polishes here. If you don't want to try Adams and want to try something different there are different sites you can go to order these items - and they're really not that expensive!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
... Now some can argue that there should be a 4th category with all the Swissvax and Zymol treatments but that can be saved for another thread in another forum. And at these type of brands many argue you're just paying for the name.
And that is the million dollar question. I have no experience personally with either of the above mentioned so I can't say with any sense of knowledge either way but I have wondered. It has been done before...

So my proposition is this: Those of you who are in category #2 just sample some products from category #3 and I guarantee you will never go back. Junkman is a vendor for Adams so you can buy Adams Polishes here. If you don't want to try Adams and want to try something different there are different sites you can go to order these items - and they're really not that expensive!
Actually, you'll have to buy Adam's products at a show or from their website. :bigthumb:

As far as cost are concerned, if you ever see me do a live demonstration and see how little product I use, you will be amazed at how much product you actually get when looking at how little I actually use. The mistake that most people make is they use WAY too much product. I learned from using Zaino that a little bit goes a long way. The same with Adams.

If you haven't seen it, check out my "slow cut video series" and watch how I make 3, pea sized drops go a long, long way.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts

i have questions ill post at the end of this post

There are a gazillion products out there and you truly won't know how good a product is until you compare it with others.

I know when I first started out I used Palmolive (dish soap) and a kitchen sponge to clean my Charger!!!!!! After I was done washing it, it looked clean for a good 10minutes before all the dust started sticking to it. Hey at the time I was happy with it because that was all I could afford (I was 18 at the time and now I'm 20)

I've recently really gotten into detailing and have had the opportunity to try many many soaps, polishes, and witnessed many different methods to washing and maintaining a car from professionals that deal with high end exotic cars. I was fortunate enough to travel a bit to meet some of these guys. I went to a detail clinic and we were fortunate enough to have a detail expert who was in the country for the weekend and really showed some helpful tips.

My charger is a daily driver and I don't have garage space so its parked outside all the time and it still looks fresh every time I drive it. People still compliment me on that - it's the pride I take from maintaining it.

There are different types of products and each of these products caters to a different line of people that I've noticed.

1. The cheap OTC stuff you buy at your local department store is meant for people who drive any normal sedan and don't really care about its appearance other than just keeping it clean. These products shouldn't even be on the shelves. NuFinish is an example of this (say they are the "once a year car polish")

2. The well packaged OTC stuff you buy like Techwax or NXT that is marketed to those that know very little about paint maintenance but drive nice cars and are looking for a little bit more for their car. These type of products claim to restore your original paint finish and give it that show car shine but without the hassle. Generally these customers do not know about the next line of products (#3).

3. The true enthusiast products. People that actually care about their cars and do a bit of research find about these lines and wonder what they ever did without them. Business lines like Adams, Menzerna, 3M, Meguiars (meguiars has products that also go in #1 and #2), Chemical Guys, Pinnacle, etc.... These products actually do what they say.

Theres a wide variety of products out there that is meant for the average Joe and the marketing behind these false products is what attracts people and these products have very temporary effects. Just like the dish soap I was using that lasted 10 minutes these products will give your car a nice appearance for a couple days at most! When you use products that are in the third category they will really enhance your car's appearance. You will spend a few dollars extra but it essentially works out to be cheaper if you see how long it lasts.

Now some can argue that there should be a 4th category with all the Swissvax and Zymol treatments but that can be saved for another thread in another forum. And at these type of brands many argue you're just paying for the name.

this is my first red car my first car was black as you can see in the sig. i wax and wash my DD's thats what they are every friday or saturday depending on work. i sold the cobra and am now stationed in naples italy the water here is super heavy (tons of minerals) after you wash the car soon as the water dries white spots. i tried to claybar the car with meguilars kit it got most of it off but you could see some of the spots from different angles what do you recommend for wax, soap, towels? i use micro fiber towels to dry the car and also to remoce the clay residue and wax. also if you give me a bunch of product name please give me links with them. your time and assistance is greatly aprpeciated. OP sorry for jacking the thread

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
i have questions ill post at the end of this post

this is my first red car my first car was black as you can see in the sig. i wax and wash my DD's thats what they are every friday or saturday depending on work. i sold the cobra and am now stationed in naples italy the water here is super heavy (tons of minerals) after you wash the car soon as the water dries white spots. i tried to claybar the car with meguilars kit it got most of it off but you could see some of the spots from different angles what do you recommend for wax, soap, towels? i use micro fiber towels to dry the car and also to remoce the clay residue and wax. also if you give me a bunch of product name please give me links with them. your time and assistance is greatly aprpeciated. OP sorry for jacking the thread
All you have to do is check this forum for every thread that I have started. You will have enough information and links to overwhelm you. I use products from Adam's Polishes but I don't know how cost effective it is for you to have them shipped there. If you join Adam's Forum, you can ask someone there who is more familiar with that aspect of the company.

I have posted so much information on how to do just about everything to paint. You will find more than enough information if you take a look.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts