Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im quite young so dont laugh. This aint my first car, I have have 4 bangers, v6 but never a v8 until today.

I purchased a Dodge Charger RT 1st Gen. 5.7L Hemi ofcorse.
I am needing to know the best basic modifications to get out of the way.
I will eventually procharge the car come within the next few years or so.

Also what is the widest rim I can put on the car without changing suspension, etc.

Thanks and hopefully I dont get bashed to bad on my first V8 lol.

06 Dodge Charger RT Hemi, 66k Miles.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Big Congrats on the new car. You can put a 9" wide wheel on the car with 275's all the way around and not have any issues. There are lots of examples of cars on the site that run that combination.

Welcome to the site from Pa.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of 285 rear and 255 fronts?
Want a more wide stance on the car overall but dont wanna hurt steering capabilities.
9 inch wheel should hold up to 305 correct?
I wouldnt go over 285 though thats my perferred tire size.

Anyone know if any of the stock wheels are 9 inch wide? Challenger, Magnum, 300c etc?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I was thinking of 285 rear and 255 fronts?
Want a more wide stance on the car overall but dont wanna hurt steering capabilities.
9 inch wheel should hold up to 305 correct?
I wouldnt go over 285 though thats my perferred tire size.

Anyone know if any of the stock wheels are 9 inch wide? Challenger, Magnum, 300c etc?
I believe the SRT-8 wheels are 9" wide.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
They are fun, granted I never owner a V8 charger but I don't love my V8. Enjoy it man.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You can run a 10'' wheel in the back and 9'' up front if you want staggered widths. Get yourself a diablosport tuner, lmi intake or afe, and some exhaust for sound. These hemis are very expensive to mod and horsepower doesn't come cheap with this engine like it does on the bowties and blue ovals. Congrats and have fun bud.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Basic modifications? Usually exhaust is one of the first that most people will do on any car/tuck. Mostly because you can hear it so you get to enjoy the mod every day whether at WOT at the track or just rolling through town. Not only that, but also because it's pretty easy to do. No real special skill set needed to do it, and not to expensive to pay someone to do for you if you don't want to do it yourself.
Rims/tires are a pretty common mod because, like the exhaust, you can enjoy it every day. You see your rims/tires every time you look at your car, so even if you don't get/use performance tires you can still enjoy this mod on a daily basis. Plus it makes your car unique to you since rims/tires vary greatly on each persons taste. That makes rims/tires a very common mod. Similar to a new hood. For some (or most) it may only be and aesthetic mod but it makes the car uniquely yours and you can enjoy it every day without have to go to the track or drive dangerously/illegally.
A tuner is usually pretty common too. Those tend to be a little expensive, but like the exhaust, they tend to be a noticeable change.
Intakes are common, because they're easy, but bang for the buck is pretty low. They cost a lot and unless you've made some other changes you not going to notice much, if any, change. Still not a bad idea if you do an exhaust and tune though. If you're going to help the animal exhale, you've got to let it breath too.

Since it's new to you, but not new. I would highly recommend a tune up. You never know when, or if, the last owner did any service. Change the oil, change the plugs/wires, and change the filters (oil, air, fuel, etc), check the brakes and change if needed. Not really "mods" but a good idea any time you buy a used car.

Also, like has already been said. Mods aren't going to come cheap. The good news is, you don't need any for them to be great cars. Start with a cheap 4 banger, and you're going to have to do some work to make it enjoyable. The Charger starts out enjoyable, so you can take your time getting those expensive mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts