Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm new to the whole mopar family. Normally i stick to fords but hey i'm young and figured i'd try something new. Now the vehicle in question is a 2006 Daytona R/T. My problem is being a numbered car i'd like to avoid damaging or modding anything that is not reversible. That being said, out where i live is like anywhere else, mustang land. You can't throw a rock without hitting one. So i've heard the gt's spank all but the SRT8. No idea haven't had the chance to race a mustang yet. Keeping the no damage and retaining all factory parts thing in mind what would i need to do to make this car a mustang killer?

·
Registered
676 Posts
You pretty much kill every Mustang on the road in the looks department already. Performance is another story. Mustangs have tons of parts that are also cheap.....Chargers do not. You can easily make a Charger kill a Mustang, but it will cost you more per HP than it does the Mustang owners :(

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Texas!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Welcome from South Florida
Post some pics of the HEMI.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the GTs cannot beat the srt stock first of all. secondly it takes maybe 1000-2000 bucks of modding for an r/t or daytona to beat a stang. and that is a CAI. Ful l exhaust system and a tuner. dont necesarrily need it all tho. ive already beat a lot of GT's from a roll. or starting on the highway and going up past 120. they just have the advantage off the line cuz of their weight.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Welcome to the forums, from Las Vegas. The value of the "Special Edition" is very minimal because of the quantities produced. 19,000 special editions in 2 years including the Bees, and more for this year. If it was something like 500 of each color per year we have a chance. I originally thought about what the car would be worth in 25-30 years, but, once the mod bug bit I didnt care, and also began to see the light.
If you wanna hammer some GT's, and have the cash, its easy, but right now it will seriously cost ya. CAI, LT headers, cat back. HHp stage 3 (400 rwhp)
Done. Modded GT's can still take ya depending on mods, but you're gonna be right up there with alot of cars, and be much more comfy doin it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
my rt is stock and i beat my friends 01 gt 5 speed all the time, hes got x pipe, catback, diablo, and a new intake plenum, once he gets gears though i will loose oto him i am sure

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I know I have raced a few Gts (300 hp)and beat them. I have also beat a few old GTs (260 hp) also. Stock on Stock, mustang and charger r/t are close, but stang will win every time, and srt charger vs stang, not even close, srt wins hands down.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So basically i would need headers, mid pipes, cat back system, CAI, chip, 180 thermostat and spark plugs. Well gee that's only about 3 grand. I'm impressed. Why are parts for this thing so expensive? Even after the mustang went retro (2005) with a totally different head configuration (3V) you could still do all that for about half the price. It's because it's a dodge isn't it. The other thing i don't understand is the only real difference in the cars is what about 600 pounds? Both have 5 speeds and both are rear wheel drive V8s. My daytona pushes 350 horse and the stang is 300. the extra 50 horses can't move 600 pounds? What gives?

·
Registered
928 Posts
600 lbs and the gearing, stangs win on the low end gearing, not by being more powerfull (stock to stock) and its not like a GT is going to blow you away, they will just nose you out, assuming the guy driving is good. and pre 05 you will smoke em.

from a roll you will DESTROY a stang. thats where OUR gearing shines.

also yes there are tons of ford parts out there as well as companies to support fords, this keeps prices down. for some reason there just isnt as much support for the HEMI, it could also be because its a "new" engine that hasn't been around for years.

with a full exhaust, CAI and tuner (dont need spark plugs) you should be putting down 300+ and be a force.

also (at least around here) most mustang drivers are garbage and just bought it for looks. quite a few are V6's with the "pony package" that they have been giving away for free now.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
OK, I'm new to the whole mopar family. Normally i stick to fords but hey i'm young and figured i'd try something new. Now the vehicle in question is a 2006 Daytona R/T. My problem is being a numbered car i'd like to avoid damaging or modding anything that is not reversible. That being said, out where i live is like anywhere else, mustang land. You can't throw a rock without hitting one. So i've heard the gt's spank all but the SRT8. No idea haven't had the chance to race a mustang yet. Keeping the no damage and retaining all factory parts thing in mind what would i need to do to make this car a mustang killer?
Where you live, I like throwing rocks:)

WELCOME!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
So basically i would need headers, mid pipes, cat back system, CAI, chip, 180 thermostat and spark plugs. Well gee that's only about 3 grand. I'm impressed. Why are parts for this thing so expensive? Even after the mustang went retro (2005) with a totally different head configuration (3V) you could still do all that for about half the price. It's because it's a dodge isn't it. The other thing i don't understand is the only real difference in the cars is what about 600 pounds? Both have 5 speeds and both are rear wheel drive V8s. My daytona pushes 350 horse and the stang is 300. the extra 50 horses can't move 600 pounds? What gives?
general rule of thumb is ...for every 100lbs you need 10hp to move that 100lbs, it's a rough estimate so if you're 600lbs heavier, you need 60hp to move that extra weight to be even with him ...and on top of that, a manual tranny loses less hp tothe wheels than an auto.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was told a long time ago if you change the thermostat to a colder setting you need to change your plugs to match the lower heat range of the thermostat.

What is our gearing in the rear end?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You do not need to change plugs... 180 is not that cold to require a warmer plug..the stock gearing in the R/T is 2.82, the SRT is a 3.06. The rear axle pig is different between the R/T & SRT, R/T uses a 210R11, SRT uses a 215R11.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome Russ from GA!
As with so much of us...you get the MOD bug...yeah..I don't think you will be to worried about the stock thing much longer!:grin:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
<I was told If I cant say anything nice dont say anything at all>:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts