Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well Over the past few days I've been reading just about everything in this this forum about washing, claying, polishing, and waxing my new car. I've always been a fan of the Meguiar's waxes and I have bought myself the clay bar kit, show car glaze (#7) and the yellow tech wax, plus various towels and applicators. I also just bought the Adams car wash trio and the new glass cleaner (because Windex never works for me). I'm waiting to get all my stuff then take a day or two to use all of it! :banana:

I'll post some pictures when I'm done with it hopefully after next weekend.

Wash, Clay, Polish and Wax done! The unfortunate part of doing all of this is that you find all the imperfections. Found 2 stone chips in the front end and a few scratches in my door. Looks like next time I'll have to have the PC to do it and get everything out (including the small swirls you see in the 3rd picture). For doing it by hand though, I think it came out pretty good!

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
The first time I used the clay bar I couldn't believe it. It makes a HUGE difference. Paint turns into a colored mirror, it's awesome.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Well Over the past few days I've been reading just about everything in this this forum about washing, claying, polishing, and waxing my new car. I've always been a fan of the Meguiar's waxes and I have bought myself the clay bar kit, show car glaze (#7) and the yellow tech wax, plus various towels and applicators. I also just bought the Adams car wash trio and the new glass cleaner (because Windex never works for me). I'm waiting to get all my stuff then take a day or two to use all of it! :banana:

I'll post some pictures when I'm done with it hopefully after next weekend
Good luck with it. Check out the Adam's Polishes web site for some good tips on washing and waxing and detailing your ride. A lot of good information. I found out several things that I had been doing wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds a lot like how i started out. I've used the meguiars clay bar for a few years now and it's a very good product - used it on my charger when i first got it and on other cars that had never been polished/clayed before and it always works wonders.

I have the #26 liquid wax on my car right now and found it much easier to apply and remove than the other meguiars waxes (gold class, cleaner wax) and it smells like banana cream pudding.

If you didn't get any/enough ww drying towels you can check out some of the walmart mainstays brand waffle weave towels from the kitchen towel section... they're like $3 for a two pack (16" by 24" i think) and they are super soft. Not the thickest towels i have but at $3 a pair its an awesome product.

Good luck and i look forward to the pictures :beerchug:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Congratulations on buying the exact Meguiar's products that I use!!! I also have the clay, the #7 glaze/polish and #26 Hi-tech yellow wax.

For my windows, I use Stoner's Invisible Glass...it works well!

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Congratulations on buying the exact Meguiar's products that I use!!! I also have the clay, the #7 glaze/polish and #26 Hi-tech yellow wax.

For my windows, I use Stoner's Invisible Glass...it works well!
x1000 ... awesome product:bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
About how long does it usually take and do you guys do yours indoors?
Depends on the condition of the paint, if its bad enough, you may need to do several passes with the clay bar. If it's in good condition you may only need to do it enough that nothing comes off when you swipe the clay bar. Yes I always do mine in my garage, don't want to do it in direct sunlight. You also want to avoid particle being blown onto the paint after clay barring, another reason to do it inside. A good tip though, fill a spray bottle with water and a little dawn soap, mix it, and use it as lubricant when claying. That way you save your self from using up detail spray when claying.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Good luck with it. Check out the Adam's Polishes web site for some good tips on washing and waxing and detailing your ride. A lot of good information. I found out several things that I had been doing wrong.
Not trying to steal the thread, but I agree!

I am an Adam's convert. I had used Mothers, Meguires, Zymol, etc in the past. The Adam's system is easier to apply and provides a better overall look. Not to mention they supply a DVD with their orders to explain how to do it all!

I use their Claybar, Swirl remover, Polish, Buttery Wax, Glaze, VRT (Vinyl Rubber Treatment), Leather Cleaner, Leather Conditioner, Carpet Cleaner, Gleen Wheel Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, Undercarriage Spray, Detail Spray, Fire Hose nozzle, Bucket With Dolly (and grit screen), Boar Hair Brush (awesome for rims and engine!), and Super-plush Microfiber towles (*MUCH* better towels than the typical store bought ones.)

Not cheap, but worth it to keep my car looking good! I guess I am an Adam's fanboy now (send me some free stuff Adam!) :bigthumb:

Here is a picture of my baby at a recent show after a FULL use of Adams products:

Thanks to member Smosher for most of the pictures!!!!! Tons more can be found here: http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n317/bbechtold/MOPAR Alley SRT8 Pics/?start=0

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's very true for me too. I hate learning that I've been doing something wrong for many years, but at least that gives me the opportunity to assess and change, rather than keep doing it incorrectly.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
... The Adam's system is easier to apply and provides a better overall look. Not to mention they supply a DVD with their orders to explain how to do it all!
And that my friend is what is important. No matter who's professional line of product you use, it's not about who's is better, it's about who's product is best for you. Once you locate that brand, that's what you should stick with. The ease of use which creates an extremely positive finish is what sold me on Adam's. My hectic lifestyle has determined that I can no longer spend a week shining up my ride. With Adam's, it's 1, 2, 3... BAM! Look at that shine!

.. Not cheap, but worth it to keep my car looking good! I guess I am an Adam's fanboy now (send me some free stuff Adam!) :bigthumb:
This is the price Adam's has to pay for ensuring that their products are American made. However, if you had come out to the show this weekend, I would have made sure that you got some free stuff! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Its funny every car forums i go to there always seems to be one brand that everyone use's and no mention of anything else. I was reading the camaro forums the other day to see whats going on with that car its 100% zaino not much talk of anything else. There are many great brands out there surprise it always goes like this.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Its funny every car forums i go to there always seems to be one brand that everyone use's and no mention of anything else. I was reading the camaro forums the other day to see whats going on with that car its 100% zaino not much talk of anything else. There are many great brands out there surprise it always goes like this.
At least they are all talking about a quality product. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with Zaino, I've used it myself with outstanding results. The reason that I use Adam's now is because I can get those same results in much less time. The reason you don't see guys discussing other products is that the non-conformist tend to be quiet or risk starting a flame war. Trust me, other folk on that forum use other products, they just tend to sit back and watch the competition.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
And that my friend is what is important. No matter who's professional line of product you use, it's not about who's is better, it's about who's product is best for you. Once you locate that brand, that's what you should stick with. The ease of use which creates an extremely positive finish is what sold me on Adam's. My hectic lifestyle has determined that I can no longer spend a week shining up my ride. With Adam's, it's 1, 2, 3... BAM! Look at that shine!

This is the price Adam's has to pay for ensuring that their products are American made. However, if you had come out to the show this weekend, I would have made sure that you got some free stuff! :bigthumb:

Now hopefully after Saturday, my entire car will look like this! :bowdown: By the way, I just used the Adams Green Window Cleaner yesterday right out of the box and it is BY FAR THE BEST THING I HAVE USED to clean the interior of my windows in my car. Easily got rid of the haze that had built up and now I can't even tell there is glass there (except for the couple of bugs I hit this morning on the way to work).

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Now hopefully after Saturday, my entire car will look like this! :bowdown: By the way, I just used the Adams Green Window Cleaner yesterday right out of the box and it is BY FAR THE BEST THING I HAVE USED to clean the interior of my windows in my car. Easily got rid of the haze that had built up and now I can't even tell there is glass there (except for the couple of bugs I hit this morning on the way to work).
You are NOT going to get these kind of results the first time you do this. You have first, got to get your technique down. I didn't get these results until I learned how to use the products so don't get your hopes too high. You will see however, see a noticeable difference.

The one thing that you should do is work in one spot. One, 2'x2' spot. Until you can get that spot perfect, do not do the rest of the car. If you cannot get that spot perfect, then you are not going to get the rest of the car perfect. Develop your technique and hone it in that spot. Once you are satisfied with that one spot, apply that technique to the entire car. Only then will you be happy with the final outcome. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump...Pictures on first post for Junkman's Approval! :D

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Bump...Pictures on first post for Junkman's Approval! :D
That's darn good for hand. You're a better man than I! I could never rub on a car to get it looking that good by hand. I wouldn't last past the first two foot area!

I see you noticed the swirls. That right there is what separates the slackers from the waxers. When you get your PC and tackle those bad boys, your paint will go from clean to gleam. No matter what angle you shoot your pictures from, they will all amaze. You can only achieve that by breaking out a PC and going at it the way I do in my videos. Those are the pics I want to see.

Remember, you can use my discount code of "Junkman" to get a 10% discount on any Adam's purchases. Let's see where you can take your paint with the assistance of Adam's Polishes and a PC. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Junkman! It means a lot coming from the finish KING! :beerchug:

It took me a bit, but I got it done by hand, not perfect but satisfactory until I can get the PC. Unfortunately I might have to wait a bit to get my PC and Adams package. The girlfriend is getting a bit pushy about a house and all that jazz, so my purchases for my car may have to rely on birthdays and X-Mas, which is a great option for everyone with low cash! Until then, I'm going to have to stick with what I have which is good old fashioned elbow grease. I'm hoping this will keep the wax until late September then I can hit it for the winter then maybe by next spring I'll have the PC and be ready to go!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts