Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took my car to the car wash the other day and it was the first time i had taken it to this place and needless to say, after i got it home i noticed a ***** scratch on the rear drivers side door. i took it back up there and ofcourse they refused to accept any responsibility for it saying it was inpossible that they could have done it even though its at waist height (perfect for s belt to dig into my baby). anyway.. now i have this scratch all the way down through the paint and i was hoping someone had a good suggestion to take care of it short of having the whole door repainted...

·
Registered
374 Posts
so i took my car to the car wash the other day and it was the first time i had taken it to this place and needless to say, after i got it home i noticed a ***** scratch on the rear drivers side door. i took it back up there and ofcourse they refused to accept any responsibility for it saying it was inpossible that they could have done it even though its at waist height (perfect for s belt to dig into my baby). anyway.. now i have this scratch all the way down through the paint and i was hoping someone had a good suggestion to take care of it short of having the whole door repainted...
How deep is the scratch. If you could post some pics that would help a little. Sorry to here they scratched your car though. If it is just in the clear I would just try some rubbing compound and continue to see if you can get it to come out. Some other guys maybe able to help you a little better than I though.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i've never done it, but from research, i can tell you the best way to fix a deep scratch is to wet sand it down until it is smooth (no more scratch), repaint the original color (can buy paint at dealer), and then put some clear coat on it.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
i've never done it, but from research, i can tell you the best way to fix a deep scratch is to wet sand it down until it is smooth (no more scratch), repaint the original color (can buy paint at dealer), and then put some clear coat on it.
you dont necessarily have to wet sand, but if you're not good at sanding I would. If you sand too deep it will ruin it. Use 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
you dont necessarily have to wet sand, but if you're not good at sanding I would. If you sand too deep it will ruin it. Use 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit sandpaper.
yup i agree w/ u. wet sanding is just supposed to be less prone to leaving scratches or swirls or w/e. and those grits are right on

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried to take pictures of it today but i dont have a camera and the one i borrowed from my friend couldnt get a good enough quality picture to do any good. thanks for the suggestions though

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it is all the way thru paint you will have to slowly build it up with touch up paint until it is higher than surrounding paint than wet sand to blend. most detail shops can help you out if you don't feel lucky with sand paper and your baby

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is all the way thru paint you will have to slowly build it up with touch up paint until it is higher than surrounding paint than wet sand to blend. most detail shops can help you out if you don't feel lucky with sand paper and your baby
yea i mean ive done construction since for like 8 years so i know my way around a piece of sand paper but i just dont feel like rugged construction sanding experience translating well to something like my car. i think i might look into a detail shop.. any ideas what it would run me to get it fixed up? the scratch is basically round but not more that an inch in diameter.

scrap the car :)
you wont ever look at it the same
ill be honest... it sure doesnt feel the same once you get that first scratch but im gonna try and make it through this:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted about my baby getting scratched up pretty bad while at the dealership...both my doors had to be repainted. The dealership paid for it too!
Mine were down to the metal...it was like white/grey color. the body shop guy tried to buff it at first, but that didn't do the trick.

I know that sick feeling of seeing that first bad scratch...and that awful angry feeling against those you know did it! Mine almost made me cry...for real!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts