Charger Forums banner

First Annual Chris Dodge Memorial Cancer Ride Skyline Drive, VA Oct 24, 2009

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ladybreeanna 
#1 · (Edited)
J.D. Dodge (known as “Mr. DODGE”) and his wife Chris organized a Skyline Drive M&G and cruise through the scenic mountains of Virginia in Oct 2007. Little did they know their marriage of 59 years would be over in 8 short months. Chris passed away in June 2008 from cancer. She touched so many lives in the various automotive events she and JD attended with her warm friendship and kindness. And so many more young lives as a school bus driver for over 20 years.
In her memory we announce the First Annual Chris Dodge Memorial Cancer Ride. It will follow the exact 115 mile route Chris and J.D. organized in 2007. This will be a leasurly, 35 MPH limited drive so leave the lead feet at home for this event and enjoy the beauty and remember Chris and her love of nature. There will be a donation of $20 per car with 100% of the proceeds going to the cancer research center where Chris was treated. There is also a $15 fee to drive the Skyline from Front Royal, VA. to Rockfish Gap in Waynesboro, VA. The fall changing of the leaves should be well in progress and the drive has lots of mountain scenery so bring your cameras.
Meeting place will be at Dean’s Steakhouse, 708 South Front Royal Avenue, Front Royal, Virginia 22630. This is where JD and Chris started their ride in 2007. I spoke with the owner, Mr. John Lancaster, and he said he was honored to be able to provide his lot for us to gather in. It's only 1/4 mile from the entrance to Skyline. Meeting time will be 9:00 AM, with departure time at 10:00. We will stop after 50 miles at Big Meadows for lunch. There is a restaurant, picnic areas, and complete facilities there. Other stops will be made as needed or desired.
There are numerous lodging facilities in Front Royal for those that want to stay Friday night and also in Waynesboro for those wanting to stay Saturday night. I will be going up early Saturday morning if anyone from So. MD. wants to caravan up.
More info will come soon and a flier will get distributed. PM me for phone numbers if you’d like to help organize with flier design, pictures, possible prize donations, other things to do to collect money, etc.

Thanks for all efforts,
Tracey and Susan

The below thread was posted last year. I've renewed the effort to get this ride going this year. I'll edit this post with all the deatils in a few minutes. Just want to get this out thhere to all those that may want to attend.

Tracey & Susan

This is WAY ahead but I wanted to get this in all your car crazed minds.
For all of you that went to Mr Dodge's Skyline Drive ride last year in Virginia you know how great this event was. You also found out how great a couple JD and his wife Chris were. Many on this forum know that Chris got sick last Nov. They sold the Charger and almost everything they owned to get back to Wash state to be close to Chris' family. Chris Dodge passed away from cancer this past June.
Well, Ronnie (Davey28), his wife Becky, my wife Susan, and I are going to start a memorial event in memory of Chris. We talked it over and decided that it wasn't going to work out this year but that next year we will organize and promote the First Annual Chris Dodge Memorial Cancer Ride. It will be through the same route that JD and Chris organized in 2007. There will be a small fee for each car and other things like 50/50 raffle, maybe a bake sale and other ideas. 100% of the proceeds will go to the cancer research medical facility Chris' body was donated to after she passed.
I know there are tons of us that have been hit by cancer in one way or another. Any thing we can do to try and help find a cure we should do. This memorial ride is a wonderful way to help and to remember a wonderful and beautiful woman that left this world way too early.
There will be meetings to organize the event through the coming year and alot more postings in the future so keep your eyes open.
But for now, mark your calenders for next October to attend, have a wonderful time, see some wonderful sceery, meet wonderful people driving wonderful cars, and help do a little something to fight cancer and most of all to remember Chris.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bumpin it up on the list. I sure hope some southern folks can make it up for this worthwhile event! You won't regret it!!!

#3 ·
Bump :)
Do you have this over on lx forums to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.