Do you carry?

Do you reload?

Do you compete?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I'll kick off the answers too :)

Favorite is the Springfield XDM9c It's a great all around firearm... however, I have my eyes on an XDM9-5.25 to compete with.

Carry anytime I'm not going to or from work, or indulging in adult beverages.

Hoping to start reloading in the next month or so. Going to start on a progressive... nothing like jumping in the deep end before learning to swim.

Used to do a weekly plate shoot, right up until a genius put a bullet into his own leg... Long story, but I didn't feel safe at that club before then. Done PPC a few times. Co-Worker is begging me to come with him to some IDPA competitions... I figure he needs someone to beat, and I'm the likely candidate.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
My absolute favorite is my Taurus PT-99 AF. I bought it new 25 years ago and have put over 4000 rounds through it. Pachmeyer grips and guide-rod laser sight. It's an old friend. :)

My newest friend is a HK P30 that fits my hand like a glove

I don't do my own reloading, but I occasionally buy inexpensive reloads from a friend who does it.

I have a CCW permit but rarely carry anymore since I don't usually go anywhere that I feel I need to have it. Waaay back when I was self employed and working in questionable parts of Philly, I carried all the time.

I only compete with myself, always trying to get better...but since I've been shooting for nearly 40 years so I'm pretty good at it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
We had a great thread that got lost.

I'll throw some questions out...

What is your favorite firearm?

Do you carry?

Do you reload?

Do you compete?
1) Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan

2)yes, .38 special snub

3)soon, have a ton of brass ready to go.

4)just started and am enjoying it. Using a GP100 .357 with .38 special ammo. Very nice for shooting paper.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Good thread.

Just started shooting a little while back. Started so I could carry for defense and got into shooting regularly.

Own a S&W M&P 9mm full size. I don't carry at this point but I would love to pick up the new Springfield XD compact 9 for carry

Live in CT as well, so now I have to replace my double stack clip with one that will only hold 10 rounds....damn stupid new laws.

-- sent from my HTC DNA --

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I have no pistols..no need as everything I shoot is long distance

My first and favorite gun is my custom 1022 Ruger with a heavy barrel and modded trigger group. I can put 10 rounds in a bottle cap at a 100 yards..gophers hate this rifle

My second favorite is my Tika Ultra Lite 25-06. So fast and so flat! I have taking more deer and antelope with this gun at over 400 yards that I never question a long shot. Longest shot was close to 700 yards. This gun is just a confidence builder!

My third is my Winchester 30-06, its heavy durable and always predictable. Super cheap to shoot and when I need a gun for 300 less yards with game running Ill shoot this rainbow round everytime!

I have many more rifles and I don't want to list them...

I don't reload as I don't shoot enough to justify the cost and so far the factory loads work just fine. If I were to get into competition and shotguns I would by a progressive reloader

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
My favorite? Whichever one I have in my hand, at the moment I most need it. :D Seriously though, I really like the M&P. Reliable and fits my hand very well. Though the Remington 870P is probably the most fun to shoot.

Yes I carry. Obviously at work, but most of the time off duty too. I've just become to accustomed to being armed that I feel naked without it.

No I don't reload, though I probably should. It scares the crap out of me that I may do it wrong and destroy a perfectly good weapon (or my hand).

No I don't compete. It's fun to shoot, but never really had any intro to competition shooting. We've always simply gone out to the field/woods and shot targets or critters (when they're in season of course).

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have no pistols..no need as everything I shoot is long distance

My first and favorite gun is my custom 1022 Ruger with a heavy barrel and modded trigger group. I can put 10 rounds in a bottle cap at a 100 yards..gophers hate this rifle

My second favorite is my Tika Ultra Lite 25-06. So fast and so flat! I have taking more deer and antelope with this gun at over 400 yards that I never question a long shot. Longest shot was close to 700 yards. This gun is just a confidence builder!

My third is my Winchester 30-06, its heavy durable and always predictable. Super cheap to shoot and when I need a gun for 300 less yards with game running Ill shoot this rainbow round everytime!

I have many more rifles and I don't want to list them...

I don't reload as I don't shoot enough to justify the cost and so far the factory loads work just fine. If I were to get into competition and shotguns I would by a progressive reloader
Long guns are a whole different topic (still fits in the thread) but different...

I absolutely love my AKS-47. Fun to shoot and accurate. I can cut shots at 100 yards with the iron sights. Add the scope and I'm good out to 500 yards. A helluva lot of knock down power

For hunting game, it's hard to beat an AR-15, Light and accurate. Easy to haul through the bush and still nail a small critter at 300-500 yards.

If I was going wilderness survival, I would probably choose my SW model 29 in .44 mag with the 8' barrel as a side arm and my Henry Big Boy lever action in the same caliber. Only one type of round to carry and great all around capability between the two. With the scope on the Henry there isn't much in the way of game I couldn't harvest with complete reliability (it will make a mess of a squirrel if you don't hit it right though).

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
We had a great thread that got lost.

I'll throw some questions out...

What is your favorite firearm?

Do you carry?

Do you reload?

Do you compete?

I have many guns, mostly given to me by my father. He was an avid collector. The first gun I purchased for myself was a Makarov 9mm and it is by far my favorite. It is very accurate and one of the most dependable pistols I have ever owned.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1389931812.582389.jpg

Brand new in the mail a couple years ago. I rarely carry because I don't feel the need to, although I do carry when I take walks with the dog and my wife. Although with our vicious pit bull I don't think I'll ever need the pistol...just kidding she's a sweetheart.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1389932101.070088.jpg

I reload with my father, we have since I was a child. We were always picking up our brass after finishing a range day...I still do the same to this day.

I do not compete, my pops does.

Speaking of rifles, I am ordering a beautiful Colt AR-15 tonight as we speak. Getting a steal of a deal. It will be a nice addition to the other two ARs...another Colt and a Bushmaster Carbon 5 I picked up several months back from a friend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
189 Posts
What is your favorite firearm? Glock 34

Do you carry? Of course

Do you reload? Yes on a Dillon 650

Do you compete? USPSA, Steel, and occasional 3 Gun

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rarely carry because I don't feel the need to, although I do carry when I take walks with the dog and my wife. Although with our vicious pit bull I don't think I'll ever need the pistol...just kidding she's a sweetheart.
One will never know when a threat will present itself.

It was a pitbull attacking my wife, kids, and dog near our house that finally put me over the edge to owning firearms. The was completely distracted by all the commotion and never got focused on anything. I live in a tiny town, and it took 45 minutes for the police to respond. It was an eye opening event.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I goes into Cabelas tonight to look at some reloading supplies and talk to their reloading expert, and the only thing that kept me from walking out with a new shotgun, they were out of stock :) Also fondled the XDM 5.25... damn that thing felt sweet in my hand... all $800 of it.

As usual, I still found something to spend money on :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just starting to look into a small hand gun for personal protection. Most of the ones we looked at, my wife had a hard time pulling the slide back. The local gun shop showed her a small revolver, and she's leaning towards that route. Just waiting for her to "be ready" and we'll gor rent some and see what she likes.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is your favorite firearm? Glock 34

Do you carry? Of course

Do you reload? Yes on a Dillon 650

Do you compete? USPSA, Steel, and occasional 3 Gun
I'm struggling with starting on the 650, but 85% of the people that own one say to start on the 650 and be done with it :)

The other thing I'm struggling with, is the wet tumbling. People that do it, love it... however, one self proclaimed expert claims the process damages the grain structure and weakens the brass. This one guy is quoted all over the place... IDK

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I absolutely love my AKS-47. Fun to shoot and accurate. I can cut shots at 100 yards with the iron sights. Add the scope and I'm good out to 500 yards. A helluva lot of knock down power

For hunting game, it's hard to beat an AR-15, Light and accurate. Easy to haul through the bush and still nail a small critter at 300-500 yards.
Dang dude, your old eyes are one hell of a lot better than my old eyes, I can't see 500 yds, much less shoot 500 yds ;)

Co-worker is one of these long range shooters. He was analyzing three different ammo loads. Shooting a group the size of a quarter for each one, three shots. In the same amount of time he shot 9 rounds, I went through nine magazines in the AR, it was hilarious.

Speaking of AR's, my lower should be showing up soon. Favorite barrel and upper mfg for a build?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
So I goes into Cabelas tonight to look at some reloading supplies and talk to their reloading expert, and the only thing that kept me from walking out with a new shotgun, they were out of stock :) Also fondled the XDM 5.25... damn that thing felt sweet in my hand... all $800 of it.

As usual, I still found something to spend money on :)
Yeah.....I had the same problem tonight. I got my eye on a shotgun myself.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Just starting to look into a small hand gun for personal protection. Most of the ones we looked at, my wife had a hard time pulling the slide back. The local gun shop showed her a small revolver, and she's leaning towards that route. Just waiting for her to "be ready" and we'll gor rent some and see what she likes.
The slides get easier as the gun breaks in. Also depending on how shes holding the gun when she tries to pull the slide can make it more difficult.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
The other thing I'm struggling with, is the wet tumbling. People that do it, love it... however, one self proclaimed expert claims the process damages the grain structure and weakens the brass. This one guy is quoted all over the place... IDK
You can't damage the crystalline structure of brass by doing wet tumbling. Doing it wet conserves heat and actually prevents changes in crystal structure. Damage to the grain (crystal structure) is a result of deformation from firing the round and annealing repairs that. He may be misinterpreting the annealing process that occurs during dry tumbling as "damage" caused by the wet method. The dry method produces heating. When you heat it, you anneal it. If you don't, it holds the deformation in the crystal structure from firing and isn't "healed" by the heat of dry tumbling. Firing the round weakens the brass. Heating it during cleaning "heals" the damage.

You can also remove the oxidation layer on the brass by wet tumbling since it is far more efficient at polishing the surface, but this simply limits the number of times the brass can be recycled and used for reloading (removing oxidation removes mass). It can also change the reload pressures and lube requirements, but it's really not different than using fresh brass like the manufacturers do.

If you want to "heal" the firing deformation of the crystal lattice, simply bake it in an oven using the appropriate temperature and time to anneal the brass back to the most stable crystal lattice structure in it's preferred dimension (in other words, size it first).

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom Gresham on GunTalk talks about a technique where she holds the firearm close to her chest, holding the slide, and pushes the firearm away from her.

An important revelation came to my wife. She has extremely dry hands and wasn't real fond of keeping a round chambered. We went to the range and she could not get enough of a grip on the slide to chamber a round. And even worse, my firearms were always chambered. I was never sure the condition of the gun I happened to pick up... I know all guns are always loaded. But say I picked one up in a time of need, is it hers or mine I picked up. Anyway, she needed my assistance to load the 1st round... how is that going to work when she needed it. All handguns are loaded. If they have a safety with a hammer, the safety is on. All rifles except the antique are loaded, but not chambered. That's partially because of how they sit in the safe.

1 - 20 of 731 Posts