Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread some months back about there being an engine temperature reading "hidden" within the digital read out in our cars. All I can find are the oil temp and oil pressure.

Where can I find the engine temp?

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you have EVIC, hold the note and compass buttons down for about 5-10 seconds. The extended EVIC will pop up and your can cycle through the screens. Engine temp is one of them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS! I wonder if the engine temp is close or if it is OFF kinda like the outside temperature is. My outside temp is usually about 5 degrees off.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The engine temp seems right on. The outside temp is a joke. I have my EVIC set permanently on the digital speed read-out. At least that is accurate
and can be used.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Ditto. I can't believe in a $45k car they can't get the temperature gauge to give a halfway accurate reading. Mine is almost always 6 degrees hotter than it actually is.

I also find it odd that the oil temp reads 219 but the engine temp reads anywhere from 190 - 204.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ditto. I can't believe in a $45k car they can't get the temperature gauge to give a halfway accurate reading. Mine is almost always 6 degrees hotter than it actually is.

I also find it odd that the oil temp reads 219 but the engine temp reads anywhere from 190 - 204.
I read in another post that it is normal for a cars oil temp to run 20-30 degrees warmer than the engine temp.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is quite normal. Oil get a lot more heat from the moving parts, esp. since it is used to cool the underside of the piston. It is actually concidered bad if oil temp is below boiling, because otherwise it would not get rid of the water condisation in the oil. Remember it is also coolant temp not the actual temp of the motor. :tongue:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found my hidden engine temp yesterday. 90 degrees outside and my car ran 193-198 in traffic. About 186-190 on open road. This is with the 180 thermostat in it from AutoZone.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you have EVIC, hold the note and compass buttons down for about 5-10 seconds. The extended EVIC will pop up and your can cycle through the screens. Engine temp is one of them.
Thanks for the info.

Can anyone explain what all of the hidden screens mean? Or point me to the thread that already covered it.....because I'm sure there has got to be one, just can't seem to find it :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts