Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw on MSN Money today that Fiat is planning to do away with Dodge cars. Hopefully the link below with work, if not, check out MSN Money. If they do away with Dodge, what effect do you think that will have on the value of our Chargers? Sad, to see what direction America is heading toward - a new world order, or chaos?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/default.aspx?feat=1337558

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Fiat to make Chrysler into . . . Fiat
The Italian carmaker expects to reintroduce Alfa Romeo to the US market and add many models that work in Europe. Many old US models will be phased out.
Posted by Charley Blaine on Monday, October 26, 2009 7:25 PM
Four months after exiting a U.S.-funded bankruptcy reorganization, Chrysler Group is about to unveil a product roadmap that relies heavily on vehicles from Italian partner Fiat (FIATY) while abandoning many of the U.S. carmaker's own models.

The plan, due to be unveiled Nov. 4, involves the reintroduction of Fiat's premium, sporty Alfa Romeo brand to the U.S. starting in 2012, The Wall Street Journal reported this afternoon.

Bing: What is Chrysler's future?
Chrysler also will introduce the 500, Fiat's tiny car that is popular in Europe, to Americans. It won't, however, attach the Fiat name to it.

Chrysler meantime is preparing to phase out many of its current models, particularly Dodge cars, the Journal said.

Fiat and Chrysler are working to create several new vehicles with Fiat technology for the U.S. market, including a midsize Chrysler-brand sedan to be released in 2012.

The sweeping changes, due to play out over the next two to three years, represent a big gamble for Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne, who has staked his reputation on the turnaround.

Marchionne, who successfully revamped Fiat, appears to be creating a vehicle lineup that stays true to Chrysler's blue-collar muscle-car and pickup roots while adding European-style vehicles to attract a new, more white-collar customer.

But in the short term, Marchionne's task is to keep the company afloat until 2012 when the bulk of the new offerings will come to the U.S.

Chrysler is faced now with shrinking market share and few new models coming to market. While it doesn't disclose its finances, Fiat has said repeatedly it won't inject any money into Chrysler despite receiving a 20% ownership stake in the company's reorganization.

Instead, it is contributing technology and management expertise.

"The biggest issue this company has is getting through the next few years," Rebecca Lindland, an automotive analyst at IHS Global Insight, told the Journal.

"They are going to have a hard time maintaining market share, let alone increasing it."

< Back to Latest

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've heard that they're attempting to make Dodges true divers cars.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
^^^ I hope it's true Pat..
I know in a similar article on challengertalk... it said they were keeping the challenger but saw nothing on the charger...
I would think with the charger as a fleet vehicle and so forth... it would stay

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Jeeze, the speculation is running rampant, and we're still a week away for the short concise SIX HOUR presentation on how they are going to return Chrysler to "profitability". Why is "profitability" in quotes, because their plan does not include minor things like interest, taxes, and other undetermined $$$'s.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
anyone that converts to fiats thinking they are dodges is gonna make me scream.
I cant believe chrysler would spend a dime on designing "the new charger" as other threads show, then decide to drop it. makes no sense. Too much speculation

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Don't make the assumption that a car company that needed Fiat and the US government to bail it out would do ANYTHING that makes sense. It's like arguing with a crazy person. They play by their own set of rules and logic so that you can never possibly understand well enough to win, even if you are right.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Don't make the assumption that a car company that needed Fiat and the US government to bail it out would do ANYTHING that makes sense. It's like arguing with a crazy person. They play by their own set of rules and logic so that you can never possibly understand well enough to win, even if you are right.
well put

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think they'll keep the top sellers and possibly call them Fiats and maybe revamp them a little and bring the best Alphas and Fiats over here also.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
that´s totally wrong...

they want to convert dodge into a muscle car and trucks only, leaving chrysler with cars and minivans and jeep obviously SUVs

they want to say good bye to all dodge models in this days, except charger and maybe the chally, and yes: bye bye caliber, caravan, avenger etc, chrysler gonna make the town and country minivan without her twin sister : caravan.

fiat and alfa will provide compact and mid-size cars, with "american" design

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
well when life gives you lemons make lemonade. i just read an article on aol auto. the charger is gonna stay as well as the chally. i guarante the italians (im 1 too lololol) will divide the company into sections the way it should have been from the begining. dodge with the performance section,chrysler with the style and jeep with the suv's. ill also bet there will be a 500 hp chally and charger down the pipe. italians are big on design and heritage. look at the fiat 500 and the original 500 pretty close . very closley down like the chally. so lets not go crazy italians like fast cars and looing good while doing it. i can just imagine a memeber from the srt division having lunch with ferrari people talking about the chally and charger like a group of mad scientists. oh yeah dont forget to thank obama for it.lololololol

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
well when life gives you lemons make lemonade. i just read an article on aol auto. the charger is gonna stay as well as the chally. i guarante the italians (im 1 too lololol) will divide the company into sections the way it should have been from the begining. dodge with the performance section,chrysler with the style and jeep with the suv's. ill also bet there will be a 500 hp chally and charger down the pipe. italians are big on design and heritage. look at the fiat 500 and the original 500 pretty close . very closley down like the chally. so lets not go crazy italians like fast cars and looing good while doing it. i can just imagine a memeber from the srt division having lunch with ferrari people talking about the chally and charger like a group of mad scientists. oh yeah dont forget to thank obama for it.lololololol

Yep, I've seen repeated mentions that the only thing remaining will indeed be the Charger/Challenger.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/27/wall-street-journal-makes-early-chrysler-dodge-and-fiat/

the majority of the Dodge and Chrysler lineups will be reworked atop Fiat platforms, save the rear-wheel drive architecture of the Dodge Charger/Challenger and Chrysler 300

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Here's the rumored line up

Chrysler

* gone PT Cruiser
* gone Sebring
* Town and Country
* 300: Redesign in 2011
* Fiat 500: 2011

Dodge

* gone Caliber
* gone Nitro
* gone Avenger
* gone Grand Caravan
* Charger: Redesign in 2011
* Challenger
* Journey
* Ram trucks (separate brand?)

Jeep

* gone Commander
* gone Compass
* gone Patriot
* Wrangler
* Grand Cherokee: Redesign in 2010

Alfa Romeo

* Mito
* Milano (replacing 147)
* New Mid-Size Sedan
* 8C Competizione

[via WSJ, Kicking Tires]

I find it interesting they are abandoning the Grand Caravan. Granted the existing sales are way down, mostly due to a poorly executed redesign, but that vehicle has been the companies bread and butter for a long time.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

Chrysler

* gone PT Cruiser
* gone Sebring
* Town and Country

Dodge

* gone Caliber
* gone Nitro
* gone Avenger
* gone Grand Caravan
* Challenger
* Journey

Jeep

* gone Commander
* gone Compass
* gone Patriot
* Wrangler

Alfa Romeo

* Mito
* Milano (replacing 147)
* New Mid-Size Sedan
* 8C Competizione

[via WSJ, Kicking Tires]

I find it interesting they are abandoning the Grand Caravan. Granted the existing sales are way down, mostly due to a poorly executed redesign, but that vehicle has been the companies bread and butter for a long time.
Yea, a lot of that contradicts what Fiat is offically saying. They said there is a new PT Cruiser already in the works and the Patriot (top selling jeep) is in it for the long haul with a redesign due out.

Right now the Media has no FACTS at all, so in lue of FACTS, they make crap up. No one knows what the announcements will be except Chrysler and Fiat Mgmt.
They all want to be the one that guesses right and claims "they had the scoop", When in fact they have no clue anymore than the rest of us.
We will all know when the company announces it, until then, its made up crap.
Personally, the first cars to go should be the ones with Daimler content because Chrysler is bleeding cash paying for that garbage. Sadly that means the 300 and Charger would be dead real fast. Chrysler looses money on every one sold due to royalty payments.
Chrysler is working to get the Daimler content out as fast as possible (it mostly junk anyway).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mostly just a rehash of the Wall Street Journal report and what Part Deux said but I saw this this morning.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Right now the Media has no FACTS at all, so in lue of FACTS, they make crap up. No one knows what the announcements will be except Chrysler and Fiat Mgmt.
They all want to be the one that guesses right and claims "they had the scoop", When in fact they have no clue anymore than the rest of us.
We will all know when the company announces it, until then, its made up crap.
This is the WSJ :) You'd be surprised how right the media will normally get it. I have a friend that's a senior editor for one of the auto rags. It's shocking to me how fast he gets insider information. I remember one event he and I attended together. 12 hours after a major OEM decision was made, and the few people that knew the major decision were sworn to absolute secrecy, he's asking me for confirmation of the decision. His response to my "I haven't been briefed on that issue" response, was BS! I'm sure the look on my face gave me away :) Many frustrated employees will leak stuff to increase the feeling of self worth. Often companies will leak stuff as trial balloons. I remember one employee at an OEM that leaked photos of a new car design that was taken inside the studio. They were actually able to track that employee down and he lost his job. When asked why he did it, his response was, "the company had no right to hide the new design"...

Consider the sources, and consider how widespread the information is. In this case, it's the WSJ, a highly respected publication. But, also, they are the only source reporting the data. Everybody else is quoting WSJ as their source.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
funny no mention of the jeep liberty? i was kinda surprised about the dodge caravan myself. since dodge did invent the minvan . i would have expected a redesign maybe but not an out right dissappearence.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Chrysler

* gone PT Cruiser
* gone Sebring
* Town and Country

Dodge

* gone Caliber
* gone Nitro
* gone Avenger
* gone Grand Caravan
* Challenger
* Journey

Jeep

* gone Commander
* gone Compass
* gone Patriot
* Wrangler

Alfa Romeo

* Mito
* Milano (replacing 147)
* New Mid-Size Sedan
* 8C Competizione

[via WSJ, Kicking Tires]

TTAC rumor central says the current LX/LY platform may also underpin future Lancia and Maserati vehicles!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wild-ass-rumor-of-the-day-lx-platformed-lancia-maserati-planned/

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
TTAC rumor central says the current LX/LY platform may also underpin future Lancia and Maserati vehicles!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wild-ass-rumor-of-the-day-lx-platformed-lancia-maserati-planned/
TTAC, they print every rumor, no matter how outlandish :) Of course they've been calling for the complete and utter destruction of the D3 for years. Journalistic integrity is tough for them :) But sometimes they get it right, and I do frequently read their stuff, and even comment on their forum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts