Charger Forums banner

Fiat Chrysler makes merger deal with Peugeot's Groupe PSA

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ol*Geezer2018 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Embarrassing. Hit the repeat key. Bet the French Govt with its %12.5 share in PSA after bailing it out in 2014, plays the same game as it did with the FCA-Renault merger attempt. No doubt the French govt will be out to protect their manufacturing base if the merger leads towards workforce or plant reductions.

Sarcastically speaking, Peugeot is so well established in the USA you can buy one at your local dealer in Mexico or another continent.

#4 ·
Embarrassing. Hit the repeat key. Bet the French Govt with its %12.5 share in PSA after bailing it out in 2014, plays the same game as it did with the FCA-Renault merger attempt. No doubt the French govt will be out to protect their manufacturing base if the merger leads towards workforce or plant reductions.

Sarcastically speaking, Peugeot is so well established in the USA you can buy one at your local dealer in Mexico or another continent.
Embarrassing is an understatement. Peugeot quality is legendary in it's poor quality (I chalk it up to the ancient French rivalry with the British - heh). If there was any doubt about which direction FCA was going to take their brand, you now have it. Looking like my Scatpack Charger will be my last FCA product. :(

Best,

#5 ·
When I was a kid in the very early 60's my dad had the same Peugeot that Detective Columbo drove on TV (as a third car) all I remember is that is was very different from the big 1957 Chrysler 300 he drove everyday--but they both had hemi head engines !

Attachments

#7 ·
There is no real merger in business. When you look up merger in the dictionary, you are referred to acquisition.

This is an acquisition, Remember the "merger of equals" with Daimler? Jurgen Schrempp said later that it wasn't a merger but an acquisition.....that was my plan from the beginning!

This is Fiat/Chrysler reaching for technologies they didn't develop to save their butt in case we get the Obama era CAFE back.....45 mpg by 2020 and 54.5 mpg by 2025. FCA has NOTHING even close to either of these.

You can't keep buying emission credits all the time to equal out the CAFE and say profitable!

Probably the last Chrysler product I will be buying was the 2011 Grand Caravan R/T.

Regards,
Brian

#8 ·
Dictionaries and business terms are quite different. I've read multiple stories this is a 50-50 merger. Not sure how that is viewed as an acquisition when both have equal share holdings in a vertical business deal.

But who knows, when all is said and done, FCA in their boundless wisdom might end up being owned by the French Government.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.