Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im about to go to work and i have a few noobie questions but still i need to know haha.

1. so this might be real stupid but its hapend 2 times haha when its wet out i spin my tires alot right? and 2 times going from a stop sign my check oil light comes on and the engine turns off. i have to put ti in park and try again, so somone help with that? i figure its cause im in drive maybe i should be in 1st? let me know.

2. just tinted my fog lights cause i dont like the way they look normaly so now there basiclly black, and i want some sort of red led light in it ive found blue white and amber that will fit in it does anyone know were i can get a red light to fit in the fog light?

3. question about hid's i want to get some maybe. im not positive if i want them yet cause im scaredto get a stupid ticket for them. also im on a bit of a red look on my black charger, i got red in the grille i want red in the fogs as seen above, im guna get red halos if they had red hid id prob get that but cause they dont i assume id go with really bright white hid are those worth it? and do they just go in place of my bulb thats already there? do i have to do any modification to the headlight housing for the hid bulb to fit in place?

i think thats it thanks for all your help guys

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
so im about to go to work and i have a few noobie questions but still i need to know haha.

1. so this might be real stupid but its hapend 2 times haha when its wet out i spin my tires alot right? and 2 times going from a stop sign my check oil light comes on and the engine turns off. i have to put ti in park and try again, so somone help with that? i figure its cause im in drive maybe i should be in 1st? let me know.

2. just tinted my fog lights cause i dont like the way they look normaly so now there basiclly black, and i want some sort of red led light in it ive found blue white and amber that will fit in it does anyone know were i can get a red light to fit in the fog light?

3. question about hid's i want to get some maybe. im not positive if i want them yet cause im scaredto get a stupid ticket for them. also im on a bit of a red look on my black charger, i got red in the grille i want red in the fogs as seen above, im guna get red halos if they had red hid id prob get that but cause they dont i assume id go with really bright white hid are those worth it? and do they just go in place of my bulb thats already there? do i have to do any modification to the headlight housing for the hid bulb to fit in place?

i think thats it thanks for all your help guys
1) If your engine is shutting completely off, there is a problem and you should have it checked out. Its in your best interest to get it looked at before it leads to bigger issues.

2 and 3) You're worried about getting a ticket for HIDs but you want to put red lights in? Red/Blue (actual blue, not HID "blue") is illegal in about every state for street driving. The only exception is the red brake lights. When you have red/blue/any color but white/amber halos/fogs, you are risking getting tickets.

Getting the lights is easy. You can go anywhere from Autozone to random online stores. Getting halos is obviously more specific and in a more narrow market. We have vendors on the forum who carry them or you can buy them on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
For your first question it sounds like your car is going into limp mode, which means that while the tires are spinning you hit the rev limiter causing the engine to shut itself off. But in order to be sure this is what it is, when your tires are spinning do you release the gas pedal or just keep your foot on it? Do you esp engaged or do you have it off also what model type do you have? (SXT, RT, SRT)

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Don't sweat it. We were all newbies once.

Yes, wet slip is pretty common, especially when cornering. The other problem with stalling out is kind of surprising. Is this related to the slippage? What I mean is, when the car stalls on you were the tires slipping moments before? Or are these two different topics? I'm pretty sure limp mode doesn't shut the engine off... it just limits the transmission to prevent damage. This sounds more to me like a stall. Maybe there's an electrical problem that only gets exposed on sudden acceleration.

First and most importantly, you have my apologies for my conflating your fog light removal request with your other, notorious thread. While I'm proud of the lolcat, I'm not proud of being teasing you when I was wrong. So. I'm sorry.

That said, what Dreadnought said. Forward-facing red lights are illegal pretty much everywhere. You'll never be able to run them on the road. Understand you're simulating brake lights on the front of your car. At night your car will be confusing to others. So unless you're looking at this for show purposes only, this is a huge no-no.

That said, remember that you can make any white light red by applying a red filter. A red film disc on the inside would work. You don't actually need red lights to make red.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the function of the fog lights will be seriously curtailed. Going red won't throw as much usable illumination as you'd expect - by far.

Please see above regarding your grille lights and the law.

That said, a lot of people do get red halos. Those of course can only be run at shows. So if you're stopped and showing your car (ie. engine off) a lot, they do look really good.

HIDs can be done two ways:

1} Cheap, illegal, unsafe.
2} Expensive, legal, safe.

The first option is that you get a HID kit (around $100) and put it in. They're generally plug & play kits. Disconnect the current wire going to your bulb, plug the car's output wire into the HID inverter. Plug the HID inverter into the HID bulb. Swap bulbs. Done.

The down-sides to this is that HIDs throw literally three times the illumination that typical headlights do. Headlight lenses scatter light; most ends up on the road but some is thrown to the sides and some is thrown up. The problem is that HIDs done this way will throw three times as much light up, into oncoming traffic's eyes. I'm a big fan of people who don't shoot bright lights in my eyes when I'm driving at night. It's hard enough to see without my pupils dilating.

The second options involves replacing the lenses with projectors. Basically the entire light housing has to be replaced. The projector shapes the output light to focus most of it on the road. As well, there's a metal bar in front of the bulb which literally blocks light from going up. Down and to the sides only. These are very, very sexy but do cost more because you're replacing more components. It's also a little bit harder to install because to replace the light housing you do have to remove the front fascia of the car. It's not truly hard... even a new guy can do it. (There are threads for fascia removal and even reasonable priced OEM projectors if you're interested in this option.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dam anguish thanks for that on hid's idk what im going to do exactly about that. and with the fog lights there not allways on i know they wont be street legal, but i night shaded my fog lights haha they are basicly black the normal bulb that came with it hardly puts much light through it but i still want it to be tinted red to match my grille lights but those arent on unless i flip a switch also not used in street. and yea i wana get some sort of hid just so my lights are super bright and not normal stock lights also want to do halos so il prob do at same time.

back to the engine shutting off,i have a 2008 rt charger and basicly i power brake some times haha i like to smoke the tires and im pretty sure thats the only way with esp off obviously and 2 times so far i assume i held the brake to long and i never let go of it i just let off the gas and the engine shuts off, really i justwant to smoke the tires up alot but i dont know how,when i try to spin longer in place the engine does what it does it turns offand tells me to check oil so id lke to know what to do about that if its a problem that should be looked into or if im just being stupid haha thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
As the others said, red up front is a no no. That is DOT law, not a state by state thing, although all states will have something in the books on it. Keep the off while on the street and you'll be fine, especially with the Niteshade on them.

As for HID's. As Anguish said, the legal issue is the blinding aspect to other drivers. I put HID's on my car, but spent about 45 minutes fine tuning the aim to keep them legal and safe. Ultimately a new headlight assembly would be ideal, but stock can work as long as you get them aimed properly. Like I said it took me about 45 minutes to get them to meet all DOT requirements/restrictions. It's a pain but it can be done.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the others said, red up front is a no no. That is DOT law, not a state by state thing, although all states will have something in the books on it. Keep the off while on the street and you'll be fine, especially with the Niteshade on them.

As for HID's. As Anguish said, the legal issue is the blinding aspect to other drivers. I put HID's on my car, but spent about 45 minutes fine tuning the aim to keep them legal and safe. Ultimately a new headlight assembly would be ideal, but stock can work as long as you get them aimed properly. Like I said it took me about 45 minutes to get them to meet all DOT requirements/restrictions. It's a pain but it can be done.
hey shots i want to do my hid's that way because i actualy like the look of the original headlights more then projectors could you just tell me everything i need? like the bulbs what ones do i need to fit my headlight housing and **** i know nothing about hid setups so im scared to just go buy one

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I'm not sure of the part number for '08. I know my '10 has a different bulb so you'll want to make sure you get the correct bulb. Here's what you need though...

HID bulbs, ballasts, and ECE (Error Code Eliminator). There are several threads on here for HID conversions, so I'm sure there is one that covers the '08 to give you the correct bulb number.

Once you have the parts you'll need to make sure you get them aimed properly. Fist take your car with stock bulbs and park about 25 feet from a flat wall on a level surface. Measure from the ground to the top of the main beam (there will be an obvious line between where the beam is focused and where the light is scattered). Write that number down. Now go to a big open parking lot (preferably an unlit one). Lay out some markers (cones, shop rags, chalk etc) to note where you stock bulbs main beam is in comparison to the attached photo. If your '08 is like my '10 the pattern isn't a 100% match for the DOT regulations but I've attached the pic of them anyway. Now install your HID's. Park in front of the wall again and adjust the horizontal aim to put the top of the main beam at the same height as the stock location. Now you can go back to your parking lot and park on the same spot and use your markers to properly adjust your new beam shape. I didn't have to make any adjustments to mine as they fell within the stock pattern when the horizontal was properly adjusted (it had to be aimed down a bit after the swap). If you do have to make an adjustment to beam shape you can mask of the area that is allowing to much light to cast on oncoming traffic with tape. This will allow you to see it on the area you have laid out on the ground with your markers. Once you've got it masked off, you can then cover the uncovered area, and remove the parts you masked while in the parking lot. Spray some NiteShade or Plastidip over the now unmasked area and you should be legal once it dries. Remove the tape, go back to the lot and check you pattern to verify that you have it properly shaped. FWIW you shouldn't need to do any of that last part, because I didn't. I have 35w bulbs, and I did adjust the horizontal to the correct height. Light spilling off the right side of the road is fine, and actually favorable. You just need to make sure you aren't affecting oncoming traffic to be safe and legal.

Hope that was the info you were asking about. If not... oops. :)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts