Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so I'm getting ready to buy a security system and I wanted to get your guys' feedback beforehand. I just bought my charger 2 weeks ago and I'm dying to get some rims/tires, but first I want to get the security system straight.

I've done a lot of research -- talking to folks at alarms shops and reading on the forum and this is what i've come up with:

Clifford MATRIX 12.5X - $400 with install at a local shop
http://www.clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=705

Digital Tilt Sensor 507m by Directed Electronics - $30.99
http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Electronics-507m-Digital-Sensor/dp/B000ga yN3E **it won't let me post the link since it says [email protected] in the URL...

Mini Piezo Siren by Directed Electronics - $7.19
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...6036?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&v=glance

Questions:

+ What would be a reasonable price for the install? I like to negotiate so I want to have a reasonable price in mind to shoot for.

+ If I buy the tilt sensor and piezo siren online and bring them into the shop, I'll save a couple bucks from what they were trying to charge me. I was wondering tho, would that be considered bad form to come in with parts and ask them to do the install?

Any and all feeback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Seems a little high for just an alarm with no starter. But as an Authorized Dealer, they have certain price points, that they cannot go under.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Also, there is not much markup on those parts, but the time you buy off ebay (or whereever) and pay shipping, its definatly not worth the hassle should one of the parts fail, or even be defective. The shop will definatly not warranty a part you brought in from an outside source; they might even charge you more to install it, since it wasnt bought there.

For the accesories, theyre really not charging you much, epsecially if theres no added fees for the labor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice. $400 seemed high to me as well, i'm thinking i could talk him down at least $50 or so.

good point on bringing in outside parts. He was trying to charge me an additional $100 (labor included) to put in a tilt sensor and that seemed a bit unreasonable which is why i was thinking of bringing in my own stuff.

another question - where should i have the mini piezo siren placed in the car?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
In my mustang, I put it in the air vent above the radio. That way if some ****er was trying to steal my radio he would potentially go deaf doing so.

It was super annoying when the alarm set itself and I was in the car when it went off.

And extra $100 for those 2 parts installed, is definatly too much. I misread your first post, and thought thats what he was offering them for, adn the ebay links were the cheaper prices.

So basically hes at $500 for 'just' and alarm with those 2 added parts? I would try to get the alarm witht he parts done for the $400. The tilt sensor and sirent arent that much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I am shooting for $400-425 for the whole deal - alarm, tilt sensor, mini piezo and labor. I think that's a fair price. I'm planning to go back and talk to the guy this weekend.

Does anyone have a Clifford MATRIX 12.5X on their ride? I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with it -- especially its effectiveness and the durability of the remote.

I excited tho, b/c as soon as I get my security system installed, I can get start shopping for some rims/tires. I'm looking at the 22" DropStars DS 03s wrapped in 265/35/22 pirelli's

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
$400 IN THE GOING PRICE ON THAT CLIFFORD and the tilt sensor is a big pain to set up and get working on all 4 corners. if you want to add the prizo siren to the inside -your going to need a relay to run it off the alarms siren wire so as not to blow out the siren output on the alarm. $450 is around what they might ask to install every thing-and that clifford is the exact same alarm as the viper 5000 other then the fake carbon fiber remote covers-viper owns clifford so make sure you fill out the life time warranty card that comes with the system or your screwed if the car gets stolen. BUT heres the catch-any D.E.I product bought off the internet has no warranty what so ever. EVERY d.e.i product has a bar code on it and on the inside and they know every thing about that part including who bought that part [what store] and when you fill out the warranty card they know who owns that alarm-it is either a defected product that is sold to a electronics scraper-that has turned around and instead of junking the parts for recycle they try to put them back out on the streets-or it's stolen product from transport. and it can also be fake D.E.I knock off [bootleged] it can also be rebuild product. JL AUDIO and D.E.I BOTH WARN THAT NO ONE IS AUTHORIZED to sell their stuff on the internet and at this time are working hard to crack down on that threw the court systems-SO BUYER BEWARE!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The tilt sensor is 3 wires. Power ground and trigger out put. Its actually fairly simple, Ive done quite a few...maybe youre thinking about an older model.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ok. I know that if someone wants my car or something off of my car bad enough they are going to get it. What is a good alarm to get to prevent the unskilled thiefs etc? Any system that I wouldn't have to carry an extra remote (I hate extra keys and crap I already have enough).

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The tilt sensor is 3 wires. Power ground and trigger out put. Its actually fairly simple, Ive done quite a few...maybe youre thinking about an older model.
no the new one is a full digital piece. its a 4 wire and just plugs into the AUX port on the alarm-but it can only be installed in one direction to function right and theres a number of dip switches that have to be set up to adjust the amount of tilt [3degree's/6degree's/9degree's] before it triggers and theres alot of placment changes that you have to do to catch all sides of the car-and again it can only be mounted face up so you have to play games with it to find a secure mounting point. MSRP [RETAIL] IS
$79.95 PLUS INSTALL. i get over $100 for that part installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. I know that if someone wants my car or something off of my car bad enough they are going to get it. What is a good alarm to get to prevent the unskilled thiefs etc? Any system that I wouldn't have to carry an extra remote (I hate extra keys and crap I already have enough).
i'm not sure on that one. i've read that some alarms will work with the remote that the factory gives you, but i don't know which ones those are. you should go to an alarm shop near you and talk to them. i know clifford and viper are supposed to be top notch in terms of quality if that helps at all.

no the new one is a full digital piece. its a 4 wire and just plugs into the AUX port on the alarm-but it can only be installed in one direction to function right and theres a number of dip switches that have to be set up to adjust the amount of tilt [3degree's/6degree's/9degree's] before it triggers and theres alot of placment changes that you have to do to catch all sides of the car-and again it can only be mounted face up so you have to play games with it to find a secure mounting point. MSRP [RETAIL] IS
$79.95 PLUS INSTALL. i get over $100 for that part installed.

thanks for the info. what's the name of the 4 wire, digital piece you're referring to? the guy i spoke with was asking $100 to add a tilt sensor and i thought that was a lot considering i've seen the 507m unit for $30 online. but maybe not...

i'm planning to buy the alarm and tilt sensor at the shop...i'm considering bringing in my own mini piezo alarm since i don't know if most shops carry them and they're so cheap online.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts