Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all for voting for my dirty charger.

To me, muscle cars are uniquely part of American culture. Now that Dodge has moved on to its new Italian owners I thought we could celebrate our Dodge Chargers and Americana (related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States). This means the contest is open to anyone with a Charger and living in any country. The theme won't exlude anyone.

So, this Months theme is Dodge Chargers and Americana.

The rules are as follows:

1. It must be your car

2. It must be a picture you took and haven't previously posted on any fourms or entered into any contests.

3. Photo editiing is limited to picture enhancements excluding any added objects. If it wasn't in the picture when you took it, don't use it.

4. No complaining about other entries, who makes the final cut for voting, or anything else

5. Post only the picture you want enetered into the Poll.

6. Nothing illegal, no street racing, etc.

7. The winner MUST run the next months photo contest.

Finalists for voting will be chosen on February 21st and the winner will be declared on March 3rd.

If you are looking for ideas, think Drive-Ins, Main Streets, Dragstrips, Diners, and Landmarks to be included in your Charger photo.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great photos to kick this contest off! Just the types of things I had in mind.

So who is going to post their charger in front of a big old red barn or a deserted drive-in?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Well it may not be an old barn, but it is an old building found at a historical society, along with the Gadsden Flag hiding in the shot on the outhouse.

I don't have that car anymore, and it's not even the most recent shot of it, but the '14 went form the dealership to the garage so no photos of it yet. Hope my "old" car gets the job done.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here's mine...
My first thought was "Wow... the deck department has really been slacking." Then I looked at your location and realized that's the Tico. Not just Americana, but a piece of history.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great photos to kick this contest off! Just the types of things I had in mind.

So who is going to post their charger in front of a big old red barn or a deserted drive-in?
hmm...I could do that with a big ol red pole barn, but that'd require some good ol fashion offroading...Although I may be able to get it from the distance from my turnaround, will post it if I can get it. I think snow would be too deep to get closer though.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
My first thought was "Wow... the deck department has really been slacking." Then I looked at your location and realized that's the Tico. Not just Americana, but a piece of history.
Good eye! That is indeed the Tico. Also in the shot is the Charleston. Like the Tico, she is the lead ship in her class.

USS Charleston (AKA-113/LKA-113) was an amphibious cargo ship, and was the lead ship of her class in the United States Navy. She was the fifth ship to be named Charleston for Charleston, South Carolina. She served as a commissioned ship for 23 years and 4 months.

She was laid down as AKA-113 at Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, VA, and was launched on 2 December 1967. She was commissioned on 14 December 1968, and was redesignated as LKA-113 on 1 January 1969.

Charleston was involved in the Vietnam War, and earned eight awards and campaign ribbons for her service.

Decommissioned 1992, she was mothballed at Portsmouth, Virginia. She is berthed at the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility in Philadelphia, PA

For those who don't know about the Tico...

USS Ticonderoga (DDG/CG-47), the fifth to bear the name, was a guided-missile cruiser of the United States Navy. Homeported in Pascagoula, Mississippi, the "Tico" was the lead ship of her class.

The Ticonderoga was the first combatant ship to feature the Aegis combat system. This allows the ship to track and engage multiple targets (aircraft) much more effectively than any ship previously.

Her keel was laid down on 21 January 1980, the 35th anniversary of the devastating kamikaze attack on the Essex-class carrier Ticonderoga (CV-14). CG-47 was launched on 25 April 1981 and was delivered on 13 December 1982. First Lady Nancy Reagan, the ship's main sponsor, had the honor of christening the ship on 16 May 1981.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good eye! That is indeed the Tico. Also in the shot is the Charleston. Like the Tico, she is the lead ship in her class.

USS Charleston (AKA-113/LKA-113) was an amphibious cargo ship, and was the lead ship of her class in the United States Navy. She was the fifth ship to be named Charleston for Charleston, South Carolina. She served as a commissioned ship for 23 years and 4 months.

She was laid down as AKA-113 at Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, VA, and was launched on 2 December 1967. She was commissioned on 14 December 1968, and was redesignated as LKA-113 on 1 January 1969.

Charleston was involved in the Vietnam War, and earned eight awards and campaign ribbons for her service.

Decommissioned 1992, she was mothballed at Portsmouth, Virginia. She is berthed at the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility in Philadelphia, PA

For those who don't know about the Tico...

USS Ticonderoga (DDG/CG-47), the fifth to bear the name, was a guided-missile cruiser of the United States Navy. Homeported in Pascagoula, Mississippi, the "Tico" was the lead ship of her class.

The Ticonderoga was the first combatant ship to feature the Aegis combat system. This allows the ship to track and engage multiple targets (aircraft) much more effectively than any ship previously.

Her keel was laid down on 21 January 1980, the 35th anniversary of the devastating kamikaze attack on the Essex-class carrier Ticonderoga (CV-14). CG-47 was launched on 25 April 1981 and was delivered on 13 December 1982. First Lady Nancy Reagan, the ship's main sponsor, had the honor of christening the ship on 16 May 1981.
Yet more history, thanks! :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ok, here is mine at an older drive in that we have here.

WalterG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Looks great!
During the summer they will have car clubs meet there and the stalls are all filled with classics and hot rods. Would have been cool, but to nasty for them right now to bring those cars out.

Walter

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Winter in New England

-- sent from my HTC DNA --

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Is anyone seeing this one?? Doesn't seem to be many posts.

Bump...

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I wonder why...

Originally Posted by Moneypit >

7. The winner MUST run the next months photo contest.

:)
The same thing happened last month when I first added that requirement directly into the rules (it was always stated but never included in the rules before). It used to be considered an honor to win and run the next Month's contest. Not so much anymore.

Everyone wants to play...if they don't have to pay.

It's also why the Contest died so many times in the past when winners walked away from running the next month's contest.

I ran several contests with nearly 40 entries only to watch the winner walk away from the responsibility of running the next one. I had to pick up the baton at least a half dozen times just to keep it alive.

I won't do it again. Responsibility has to be on the winner to keep the tradition alive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Time to get your pictures in, just a couple more days and I'll be posting the Poll so people can vote next week.

Thanks to all that contributed.

Running the next contest shouldn't be much of an issue for most people if you browse the site regularly. Please don't let that stop you from posting.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts