Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...so we received a rather scary notification on our 2013 Charger RT regarding pending doom if our air bags are deployed. Granted I have heard of this over the years however never received anything saying to bring in car asap.

Our concern is finding a dealership which will do the correct work..

Has anyone else had their airbags replaced? Notice stated their will not be a charge either...is this true?

Funny is we have received nothing from out local dealership where we have our car serviced on occasion.

Thanks..

Jini

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,241 Posts
Yes, I have a 2013 R/T and have had more than one Airbag recall and cannot tell it was done. Very clean work. I also got eh wheel chocks and the Evaporative Emissions Canister recall done.

Adding the Alternator Recall done in 2018 to my list. I forgot about it.

Reactions: DodgeGuy

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think this is the same recall I had done on my 2005 Magnum a few years back. All good... expect one...They didn't put the glove box spring / cable back on. That's it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just had my airbag replaced in my 21 Redeye. This wasn’t for a recall, but because one of the retention clips was broken, so it was rattling a bit in the steering wheel. Anyway, it is a simple replacement. Only difficulty can be finding a replacement. Though if it is an unsafe condition to drive your car I , they should be offering you a rental.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Has anyone else had their airbags replaced? Notice stated their will not be a charge either...is this true?
A couple of airbag recalls on my 2012 R/T. One was side airbags (passenger side) that was a software update. One was a airbag inflater on passenger side (behind the glove box). Both were free of charge. You can check your car's recall information at the following website.

Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Jini:
I was going to welcome you to the forum. but I see you have been a member for 9 years. In all that time, only 43 posts? I realize you might not be a "car person" like many of us here are, which is 100% ok.
You can spend a little time here now and then, and be up to speed on a lot of these questions.

Re your dealer, if my dealer were as disengaged as yours appears to be, I would find a new one ASAP! This airbag issue has been around for a number of years, and spans several manufacturers as well as many vehicle lines. The '04 Dodge Durango I have has had both front airbags swapped out under a recall. Any work done under a recall, is done at no charge to the vehicle owner, and they never expire. My '14 Charger has had the passenger front airbag replaced also.

Airbags are something that can save lives, but in this case, the propellent can change due to long term exposure to heat and humidity, causing pieces of metal to come towards the vehicle occupants if they should be activated. This is the type of thing you do not want to ignore. In some cases, vehicle owners (not just Dodge/FCA) were told to not drive their cars until the recall work was performed. Those cars were towed, not driven to the dealer for the recall work. It's THAT serious.

A very small number of folks have died due to this issue, and we don't want anymore.
Was the T-36 alternator recall performed on your Charger? The alternator on my Charger was replaced in July of '17 under this recall. The oem units can catch fire. Again, not something you would want to ignore.

Please take this missive in the spirit it was intended, which is informative and pleasant. We are all adults here. My intent is not to be critical, or disrespectful.

Don

Reactions: ONEZ ST

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hi...so we received a rather scary notification on our 2013 Charger RT regarding pending doom if our air bags are deployed. Granted I have heard of this over the years however never received anything saying to bring in car asap.

Funny is we have received nothing from out local dealership where we have our car serviced on occasion.

Thanks..

Jini
Hi Jini,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns!

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
283 Posts
Get it fixed immediately!! You essentially have an IED in your car which can eject shrapnel into your body if it deploys

• Wow
Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2014 R/T Phantom Black
491 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T and have had more than one Airbag recall and cannot tell it was done. Very clean work. I also got eh wheel chocks and the Evaporative Emissions Canister recall done.
Had exactly same recalls with '14 R/T

Btw, the recall mails came directly from FCA, disregards dealership, where the car has been purchased / serviced.

The dealer (and you are, i think), can check all the recalls, that your cars suppose to do.
They will not do it, unless you will ask. And when they will check, they will try to upsell you, saying something like this:
"No recalls, lucky you! But there is some some suspension bushing has worn, you should replace it asap"...
(it is probably worn, but not for asap replacement level)

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I still have an outstanding recall regarding airbag on my 2010 that I need to take care of asap. I know I took care of one already, and I believe that was driver's side. The latest one (actually been a couple of years though) is passenger side, correct?

Do they have to pull entire dash off for this one? Anyone know the process. TBH this is what has caused my delay; the thought of them pulling my entire dash apart, which fits so nicely now.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts

Any dealership with a service garage should be able to do the work, and do it correctly.

Safety recalls are free.

That's pretty normal. Recalls come from the manufacturer, not the place-of-sale. I've never had a dealership contact me about recalls for any of the cars I've owned. It's always a letter in the mail from the manufacturer.

Don't stress or overthink the situation... just take your car in somewhere convenient and it'll get fixed.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
80 Posts
Had my ‘15 done before it was traded. Couldn’t tell anything had been done, no worries. Unless you don’t have it fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I asked the process because I think it would be wise to replace a/c evaporator at same time although it's not giving any problems now, 90% or more of cost is labor. Just doubtful dealership would be willing to do so and greatly reduce labor costs on evaporator install, still would like to ask if I knew the process on airbag.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
80 Posts
If your dealership is worth a damn, they will do it. If not, call around. There are plenty of other dealerships out there.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Do they have to pull entire dash off for this one? Anyone know the process.
If the passenger side recall is the front passenger airbag inflator (PAB) they only remove the right side silencer pad and the glove box to gain access to the passenger airbag assembly.
If passenger side recall is for side airbag inflation they fix it with software; no parts removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I still have an outstanding recall regarding airbag on my 2010 that I need to take care of asap. I know I took care of one already, and I believe that was driver's side. The latest one (actually been a couple of years though) is passenger side, correct?

Do they have to pull entire dash off for this one? Anyone know the process. TBH this is what has caused my delay; the thought of them pulling my entire dash apart, which fits so nicely now.
ChargerPursuit,
We suggest getting the recall performed for your safety and convenience. If you would like assistance while at the dealer, we are happy to help via private messages.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 16 of 16 Posts