Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running the GSM fan mod, which is basically just a relay and a switch for quite some time. I forget that I have the thing on sometimes and my runs down the track suffer because of it.

I was thinking about adding some sort of safety shut off so that the thing disables once the car is started. Right now it's wired to run when the car is on or off, thanks to Broc's trick.

Thoughts or ideas of how to go about this?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You could run a relay that when it senses current it would kill the power to the fan.

Since you normally want to stay as cool as possible until you are at the line your scenario probably defeats the cooling that you had gained already if it shuts off always when running though.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Wait, having a fan running kills your time at the track? How could that be - it's a small motor, pulling a slight electrical load. How is that enough to kill your times at the track?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Wait, having a fan running kills your time at the track? How could that be - it's a small motor, pulling a slight electrical load. How is that enough to kill your times at the track?
That little motor draws about 30 to 40 amps!!! I also have light that tells me its running inside the cabin. See this pic.

Red for ESP 100% Off, Orange for Fan Mod On/Off, Green for floor LED lights On/Off

·
Registered
219 Posts
thouse "nascar" home made switches look bad to me (just my personal opinion)
forget the heat and remove all that crapy inventions
lol
your car was designed to run hot

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It's ok as he has spelling issues so you might not have understood his helpful comments. LOL

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
elcobra...i run with my fans on at the track half the time. No difference in runs. Must be a delay issue or something else buddy.

I use the 25 cent fan mod and cut and spliced the switch under the console for abs/esp for track use only.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always try to get as cool as possible, specially when I was out running in the 85-90 degree weather. :) Maybe I'm a little too worried about the heat then I should be - I'm just so eager for that next monster run down the track.

Couple weeks ago, I romped on two Mustangs to make my way into a finals race verses a Camaro. I lost and I believe it was due to leaving the fans on. It was that close of a race and it's been a little hard to swallow.

I added a switch under the hood for the ESP using the old pin 22 splice. This way I've got one less thing to think about as I roll up to the line and should help..

Next, I'll add a post it note on the windshield that says "turn the fan off, dumbass!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts