Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Midwest folks. I know that some of us have talked about having a Fall Cruise along the Great River road to Pere Marquette Park to enjoy the colors, enjoy our cars and M&G new and old friends. The forcast for colors seems to be during the last week in October or so and I'd like to guage interest. I want to try to reserve a shelter at the park for a picnic but need to know that I won't be the only one. I'm OK with paying the fee ... a small price to pay for new friendships.

Here's my broad outline and please chime in:
  • Meet at I-270 near the Chain of Rocks bridge around 11:00 AM or so on Saturday October 27th. (possibly Nov. 3rd)
  • Cruise along Rte. 3 to Alton IL and along the River Road to Pere Marquette State Park.
  • Picnic lunch at the park. Bring your own or coordinate food ... either's fine! If we can get a shelter, that'd be great but there are picnic areas w/o shelters that would work as well.
  • Spend some time visiting and then cruise through the park, possibly head back through the North and enjoy a fairy or two (keep it clean people!) or we can return to the South through Alton.
Thoughts? Interest? Post or PM but I probably need to pull the trigger soon for the shelter.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Guess not a lot of people are interested in atteding for some reason. It is usually a good time to be had by all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Free bump. As I posted over at LX, I'd be interested in doing this. Sort of a last chance cruise before the weather starts getting bad. Hopefully more people will jump on this.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sounds good. Ill be there if you dont mind a 2.7 tagging along. Kind of intimadated by all the hemi's. But it does sound like fun.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sounds good. Ill be there if you dont mind a 2.7 tagging along. Kind of intimadated by all the hemi's. But it does sound like fun.
Eh.....I don't have a Hemi yet and I am going to be there. Your cars engine is bigger then the one in my car and that never stops me from meeting new people.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Our schedule in October is filling quickly. School stuff, work stuff, yard stuff, family re-union, but I'm gonna try to talk the family into it. We may break away after the picnic to hit Eckert's. It sounds like a blast though.

edit: OOH! I just remembered, my wife's birthday is the 26th. I doubt I could talk her into going, and if I went without her, I would be in dire straits surely. I'll still mention to see how much interest she would have in going.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can't believe more people aren't jumping in on this. Come on out people.

(shameless bump)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have cross posted this onto LX Forums and have gotten absolutely no response from them at all. So I guess this is going to be a small get together or it will finally gain some speed when we get closer and the weather and fall foliage conditions are known.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great River Road Cruise Agenda

Autumn is here and among thoughts of Halloween, raking leaves and taking down the screens, it’s a good time to get one last cruise and M&G in before winter locks us in its grasp. And what better time than the peak of the Fall colors along the Mississippi and Illinois rivers. With that in mind, please plan to join us for the first of what we hope will become an annual event.

We’re planning to meet on Saturday morning, October 27th at 10:15-10:30 at the Riverview Rest Stop on the MO side of the Mississippi River at Chain of Rocks. The lot is at the NW corner of I-270 and Riverview Drive on Dunn Road. (see attached map)

Departure will be at 10:45. We’ll take I-270 Westbound to Rte. 367, which we’ll take north to Alton IL, crossing the beautiful Alton Bridge. At that point, we’ll head through town to pick up the Great River Road (Rte 3) through Elsa and Grafton, passing Raging Rivers and the Brussels Ferry to Pere Marquette State Park. We have the campground shelter reserved there from noon until 4:00.

After a repast, we’ll convoy up again and head up to the bluffs through the park with opportunities to stop, take photos and enjoy the fall colors and the views of the Illinois River Valley below. Continue on the bluff road back down as it joins Rte 3.

From there, we’ll head to take the Brussels Ferry (free) and on to the Winfield Ferry (toll) to Rte. 79 for the return trip to I-70 at O’Fallon, MO. Some IL folks may want to pass on this phase and return through Alton for the trip home. Also, extremely lowered cars may want to consider whether or not to use the ferry crossings.

What to bring:

Something to eat/drink at the park. We’re going to bring charcoal for a fire if you want to BBQ something hot, but sandwiches, snacks, etc… are certainly appropriate as well. Without knowing how many people to expect, it’s impossible to buy and provide food for all and this way everyone can bring what they like.

* Camera
* Binoculars
* FRS radio if you have one (convoys are much more fun when you can talk)
* A clean car (because we’ll all be looking at each others rides)

Rules of the Road:

* We’ll observe posted speed limits. This is an event that we hope to make appropriate for the family and for everyone and want to make sure everyone’s comfortable. Besides, we already know that our cars are powerful so there’s nothing to prove.
* Tight convoys are nice, but we want to be respectful of others on the road, so we’ll keep an eye out for cars that need to break in and out of our convoy.
* If you bring an FRS radio, it will certainly add to the enjoyment of the cruise, however please keep in mind that these frequencies are non-licensed FCC frequencies used by many people of all ages. Please keep communications appropriate and without profanity.

We look forward to a great response and a fun day. Please plan to join us!

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
The way it looks now I think the whole family is available for this one. We have evening plans, but it shouldn't impact this much. Might just have to leave a little early.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cool Dan! Be great to see you there. Hopefully I can get Damon to bring the "Award Winning" 300C also.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cool Dan! Be great to see you there. Hopefully I can get Damon to bring the "Award Winning" 300C also.
What does the "Award Winning" 300C look like? BTW for those around the St. Louis area we do have a club webforum where we discuss events like this (shameless plug): Gateway Motorsports

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks like almost any stock 300C with Foose Nitros 20's. His engine cover is off the hook with engraved plexi and led lights and he's redone the rear deck/3rd brake light in all fiberglass w/led lights. He got one of the 3 "Best in Class" for Chrysler cars at Route 66 Fest this year, hence the "award winning" bit.

Here's a pic of the engine compartment:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Looks like almost any stock 300C with Foose Nitros 20's. His engine cover is off the hook with engraved plexi and led lights and he's redone the rear deck/3rd brake light in all fiberglass w/led lights. He got one of the 3 "Best in Class" for Chrysler cars at Route 66 Fest this year, hence the "award winning" bit.
I know him he is a member of my clubs (Use to be Gateway LX) sister club Windy City LX. Kind of wonder if any of them are coming down for this one. It is a bit of a haul for an afternoon though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Going to talk to the wife about the trip. Will let you know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts