Charger Forums banner

Factory UConnect Questions

4K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  HEMI x 3 
#1 ·
Well, I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket touch-screen, so I've been looking into the factory UConnect. I don't know a whole lot about it, so that's where you guys come it! :) Are there any specific option packages that you have to have in order to install the UConnect? Does it even work very well? Have you had problems with it? Is it comparable to an aftermarket Blue Tooth system? These are the things I need to know in order to make a decision. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 ·
I love the u-connect in my R/T. I admit I didn't think much about it when I first got the car and didn't even pair it to my cell phone for about a month.But now that i have used it I would not want to be without it. I don't know about the 08 but on the 07 it was a $360 option not attached to any packages. I have not used an aftermarket bluetooth so I don't know about that. I have not had any problems with mine.

#3 ·
I added mine, it wasn't difficult but cost me close to $400 in parts. (I dont regret spending the money).

Mopar Super Store is a supporting vendor and they sell everything you need as a kit. There are also several lenghty threads around with detailed instructions.

I'm not sure what model you have, and I dont think anyone knows what exact option group would mean you have all the wiring, but there are three levels. To find out you need to look behind your drivers side A Pillar.

1. If there is no plug at the base of the A Pillar, then you dont have the correct wiring harness. They were working on an add on, but don't know if it's available yet, check with MSS.

2. If you have a plug that only has like 4 wires, then you will need a special wiring harness to add to it, and extend to the back of the radio. MSS does have this one.

3. If you have like 11 wires, then all you need is the harness that runs from there up to the mirror, much easier install.

Look for the thread with the instructions, it goes through all of this.

Drop me a PM if you need any help.

#5 ·
I love mine except
After the first two or three calls once I connect my Treo p, it stops warning me of an incoming call- it just answers it.
That means i'm driving down the road- the radio just stops and I look down to see "phone" and have to start talking.
Otherwise- great

#9 ·
With the Treo and most phones you can go into settings and turn off the AUTO ANSWER feature. This will prevent the call from just being answered and require you to answer it on your phone or with the Uconnect button. I only know cause Its really not cool to have one lady on the phone and one sitting next to you! Gotta screen those type of calls!

#10 ·
I think the U-Connect system is a must have, especially if you spend allot of time on your phone and in your car at the same time. I love having it and the only think I don't enjoy about it is it takes a wile to enter all the phone numbers into the system, but other than that U-Connect rules.

#12 ·
It is expensive for a speakerphone, but if you can scrape the money together it's well worth it if you spend a lot of time on the phone in your car. Some people dont like it if they have people with them, because it is a speaker phone. I figure if its a private conversation I'll have it another time. I"m on the road for work several times a month so its worthwhile.

#13 ·
I love Uconnect. I haven't used any aftermaket Bluetooth so I can't compare. I have had zero issues with Uconnect and find it very nice to not have to hold my phone while driving.
It's also kind of funny when you pull up to a stop light while you're on the phone and people think your just talking to yourself. That happened the other day and so I turned the volume up. When they heard my wife over the speakers they all had looks of surprise on their faces. It was pretty cool.
I'd say definitely worth the money.

#14 ·
Personally the head unit is great for me, my RT came with a very nice amp...so there is no way I am changing out of the stock stereo. I added the uconnect and love it. Sounds great and is well worth the cost.

The only problem with my mopar non-factory installation is that they dealer put the controller on the silver center console trim instead of where I asked for it to be put.

They put the mic on the driver side pillar where it is almost not noticeable which is ok.

I am pretty sure you can get the auto-dimming mirror with controls and mic along with the wiring harness some place on the web. My deal said it couldn't be done but I am pretty sure it can.

A good after market blue tooth head unit is pretty expensive. But have no experience with their quality.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the input people. I'm pretty well convinced. Well, I'd still like to hear from someone that has an aftermarket head-unit w/ Blue Tooth....but who knows if that'll happen. I don't even have the navigation head-unit, so I'm probaly going to need all that wiring business. I'll check out Smoke's link and see what's what. Thanks again! And any further input is more than welcome, of course.

#17 ·
... I'd still like to hear from someone that has an aftermarket head-unit w/ Blue Tooth....
I bought a Parrot Easy driver for my wife's car last winter, based on good reviews I found on the web, and also because it uses the car's 12V without any wiring mess or rechargeable batteries.

It turns out that the sound from its speaker is OK and does the job, but the sound from its microphone is really bad, to the point that it is hard for the other party to have a conversation.

In very cold weather, it stops working.

As usual, you get what you pay for. The UConnect is in a different league, price-wise and quality-wise.

...Ben...

#20 ·
Can you answer the phone with the steering wheel or do you have to push the button on the mirror? I couldn't find anything on this...

#22 ·
I too have the UConnect and love it as well. Some of us have had problems with it however. Nothing major, but after awhile it just seems like it completely disables itself. You press the button to make a call....it doesn't respond (normally you get "car's voice")! Took it into service and they acted as if they didnt know what to do and said it was working properly. Everytime I had to take it in, when I would get it back from the dealer (after complaining about it), it would be working properly again....until my warranty was up! Then they decide to tell me that the program needed to be upgraded and it would cost $xxx.xx amount of dollars! Told them nevermind, came back to the forum and found out how to reset the UConnect system myself....works like a champ everytime I have to reset it!!

#23 ·
Another UConnect owner that loves it! I added it to my 07 Daytona R/T. I had the 11 wires in the connector in the A-pillar, so the total time to install the kit was about 7 minutes. Yes...it was that easy!! And, yes, it did only take 7 minutes for me to install and pair my phone. I only had 10 minutes to do it (wife was finishing cooking dinner).
I liked it so much, I went and got the aftermarket UConnect for my wife's 07 Caliber. That one took me about 45 minutes to install. Still easy, but had to take more things off and run more wires than the factory UConnect for the Charger. I ordered both kits from Mopar Super Center.

#24 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but is getting the A-Pillar off to check for the harness hard at all?

#25 ·
it's not bad, follow the instructions if you find it.

Dont force anything, it isn't needed, and you will probably break something.

If you pull on the A pillar at the upper end, it easily slides out part way. there is a way to easily release it from there and the bottom slides out it's hard to describe, just have to try it. Just be careful not to force anything and you will be OK.

#26 ·
I added the Uconnect system to my 07 R/T. Bought the kit from MoparSuperCenter got home around 7:00pm and it took about an hour todo for me... mostly because i was working in the dark. The system is excellent... i love it especially because you can have the radio cranked loud and as soon as you recieve a call it will alert you. Its a really good system i love it to death and am glad that its working well.

#27 ·
Follow up

Just a follow up to my difficulty with Palm Treo p and auto answering after first couple of rings- I did a massive update to the phone online- complete reprogram- and now don't have the problem...plus now the car shows my signal strength and battery information on the screen. Palm finally updated its bluetooth capability!

#28 ·
Just a follow up to my difficulty with Palm Treo p and auto answering after first couple of rings- I did a massive update to the phone online- complete reprogram- and now don't have the problem...plus now the car shows my signal strength and battery information on the screen. Palm finally updated its bluetooth capability!
Excellent.

I use the Windows OS though. I have been looking for a Smartphone that is fully compatible (signal/battery) and haven't found it yet. Let me know if you hear anything.

#29 ·
Question for those that installed UC. I have an '06 w/o the telematics harness. On Mopar supercenter they show an LX kit ($370) for LXs with the telematics harness. On the same page they show a Jet harness ($80) for the module. OK that totals $450. When I called them they wanted me to buy another kit that totals $558 because I don't have auto dimming headlights. In all the forums I have read in this issue I never read any mention of needing auto dimming headlights. The unused connector in the A-pillar only has 5 wires in it. Can someone shed light on what I need?

#34 ·
UConnect is AWESOME, wouldn't be without it or the MyGIG if you are buying new.

#36 ·
Hmm. Never heard of that. Makes sense, though. Probably the same or very similar harness for the autodimming mirror. Again, the whole reason they were asking must be to find out if the harness from the a-pillar connector to the mirror is needed or already in place.

#38 ·
I called back just to make sure I did not misunderstand. He again said auto dimming headlights. I am thinking at this point he was not sure what he was talking about. Does not matter at this point now. I bought just an auto dimming mirror and harness for about $100 at the dealer. I concluded it is just not worth an extra $350-$450 for the uconnect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.