2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
What is a PPV?

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
I'm not expert on year models and which came with LSD or not. But ecen if you don't have an LSD traction control will do the same thing applying the brake to the faster spinning wheel and you lay nice dual stripes.

Jack the car up, turn one wheel and see if the other spins the same direction. If yes you have an LSD.

Open differential
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Getrag LSD
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Reactions: 9secondquest

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Just purchased an '08 PPV Charger with a 5.7.

Did these come with limited-slip or was this added at some point in the vehicles life?

View attachment 301805
Don't believe any 2008 Charger 5.7L came with an LSD. In 2011, the Charger Mope11 did use a 3.92 Getrag LSD and pretty sure that was the only time.

And the Getrag has a totally different look than the standard rear, the cooling fins are the first thing you notice.

Unless someone converted the open, it's probably the Getrag that someone added.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
The dual black marks don't always mean it's an LSD, but it is usually a good sign. In this case though, my money is on it having an LSD rear end that was swapped in at some point prior.

Most likely it would have come from an A5 equipped SRT car, as they had 3.06 LSD rear-ends, and that would be a completely reasonable rear diff ratio for an upgrade to another A5 equipped car.

The possibility exists that a 3.92 LSD from any M6 car, SRT or R/T, could have been swapped in, but that would be less streetable since it would leave the highway cruising RPMs much too high for most folks to live with.

The cruising RPM in 5th gear at 70 mph would be a good indication of which rear-end the car currently has. Get the car's original rear-end ratio off its build sheet, and that will give you an expected 70mph RPM (in 5th gear) to compare against the car's current 70mph RPM (in 5th gear). If they are not the same, the rear end has been replaced with something else, most likely an LSD.

Assuming the tires are 225/60/18, here are the 70mph RPM numbers to use in comparison when trying to figure out which rear-end ratio is currently in the car:

2.82 Open (OE for that car?) - I believe this would have been the OE rear-end's ratio, but the build sheet will indicate for sure (other possibility is a 2.65, but I don't think those were available before 2011):
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

3.06 LSD (SRT w/ A5):
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

3.73 LSD (M6 R/T w/ 18" wheels) - while technically a possibility, I doubt the car would have one of these. They are exceedingly rare to find from what I have seen, so it's unlikely to have one of these:
Rectangle Slope Font Line Material property

3.92 LSD (SRT or M6 R/T w/ 20" wheels):
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
My 2013 R/T with an open 3.06 never spun one wheel. That's how good the traction control is.

Come on 9secondquest, show us the pic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dual black marks don't always mean it's an LSD, but it is usually a good sign. In this case though, my money is on it having an LSD rear end that was swapped in at some point prior.

Most likely it would have come from an A5 equipped SRT car, as they had 3.06 LSD rear-ends, and that would be a completely reasonable rear diff ratio for an upgrade to another A5 equipped car.

The possibility exists that a 3.92 LSD from any M6 car, SRT or R/T, could have been swapped in, but that would be less streetable since it would leave the highway cruising RPMs much too high for most folks to live with.

The cruising RPM in 5th gear at 70 mph would be a good indication of which rear-end the car currently has. Get the car's original rear-end ratio off its build sheet, and that will give you an expected 70mph RPM (in 5th gear) to compare against the car's current 70mph RPM (in 5th gear). If they are not the same, the rear end has been replaced with something else, most likely an LSD.

Assuming the tires are 225/60/18, here are the 70mph RPM numbers to use in comparison when trying to figure out which rear-end ratio is currently in the car:

2.82 Open (OE for that car?) - I believe this would have been the OE rear-end's ratio, but the build sheet will indicate for sure (other possibility is a 2.65, but I don't think those were available before 2011):
View attachment 301872

3.06 LSD (SRT w/ A5):
View attachment 301873

3.73 LSD (M6 R/T w/ 18" wheels) - while technically a possibility, I doubt the car would have one of these. They are exceedingly rare to find from what I have seen, so it's unlikely to have one of these:
View attachment 301874

3.92 LSD (SRT or M6 R/T w/ 20" wheels):
View attachment 301875
I am running 245 45 20 tires (20x9wheels) and @70 mph I'm at 2100-2200 rpm.

What does that equate to? I'm guessing a 3.06.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I am running 245 45 20 tires (20x9wheels) and @70 mph I'm at 2100-2200 rpm.

What does that equate to? I'm guessing a 3.06.
Yeah, I'd say the ratio is going to be the 3.06 one. They come in open and LSD, visually check the housing to verify which one you have.

Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Something to keep in mind: if the current rear-end ratio is different from what came in the car originally, the PCM tune will have been modified to take the new ratio into account. That's simple to do with a handheld tuner nowadays, but it also means the tuner is married to the car while that modified tune is use. So if the previous owner did not provide a tuner to go with the car when it was sold, that could be an indication the ratio is still stock (notice I didn't say the rear-end itself; just the ratio).

The possibility does exist that the previous owner swapped out the rear-end for a different ratio one, updated the tune with a handheld tuner, but did not provide that along with the car for whatever reason. That wouldn't make a lot of sense to do, as a married tuner isn't much use without spending more money to unlock it, but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
You have us curious now, the proof is in a pic of the housing, even better to put her in the air and turn a tire. Please? jus gots ta know.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
You have us curious now, the proof is in a pic of the housing, even better to put her in the air and turn a tire. Please? jus gots ta know.
I say we make this interesting. I am willing to bet $3.00 that the rear-end currently in the car is:
a) not the OE one
b) an LSD unit
c) is 3.06 ratio

Now, there are several different ways to make money here. Basically choose 3 options and pay $1 per option. If you win, every option that is different from mine gets you 1/3 of the total amount of money bet by everyone.

For example, you can bet
a) not the OE one
b) an open unit
c) is 3.06 ratio
...and a win with this combo would return to you 1/3 of all the pooled money.

Or you could bet:
a) is the OE one
b) an open unit
c) is 3.06 ratio
...and a win with this combo would return to you 2/3 of all the pooled money.

Or even:
a) not the OE one
b) an open unit
c) is 3.06 ratio
...and a win with this combo would also return to you 2/3 of all the pooled money.

A keen eye might notice that it is pretty much impossible to win 3/3, or 100%, of the pooled money. That is by design, but it's not by malice. I'm just trying to look out for me and mine. Taking and administering the money is work, after all. And a man should get paid for his work, no?

Alright, the betting window is now open!

Who wants to win some moola, some cheddar, some duckas, some cold hard cash?!?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just bought new rims/tires and will have them on the car come Dec 6th. I will video the car on the lift and get a good visual on the rear end and have the techs spin one wheel to show the other wheel spinning as well...or not.

All I know is when I take traction control off, it lights up both wheels effortlessly when I floor it, hence why I got bigger rims and tires all the way around.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,328 Posts
Copy, always interested in pursuit builds and trivia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts