Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Mopar factory fog light kit in my 2013 SE today.
Took about 3-1/2 hours which included a lot of trips back and forth between my garage and my work shop for tools and a short break for dinner.
I did not have to remove the front bumper. Only had to remove the front pan behind the bumper. I did not even have to raise the car to get everything loose but decided to put it on jack stands to make it easier to route the harness and align the holes to reinstall the pan.
The kit harness requires some careful routing as there isn't much extra to allow taking any route.
The Mopar instructions were really great. The black and white line drawings are a little difficult and photos would be nicer, but they are understandable once you match them to what you see.
The work behind the glove box on the BCM was a pain because of working at an odd angle and in a tight area, but it was easy all considered.
I am very happy with how it turned out.
If you're considering this mod you might be afraid to tackle it. But if you have some basic mechanical skills you can do it.
Now I just have to find a dealer to enable the fog light feature.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got my car reflashed today to enable the fog lights. What an ordeal. The service writers couldn't seem to grasp that "I" had installed the lights from a Mopar kit. They weren't sure what they needed to do. Thank goodness I had the kit instructions to show them what I did, AND show them how to log into the Dodge website, enter the dealer password, and update the VIN information. The mechanic kept my instructions.
Cost was $56.96 which included $3.50 in "misc shop supplies". LOL!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, you have to run the wires too. The kit comes with a harness. From the lights up to the firewall and through to the other side behind the glovebox. A couple of wires go to the body control module (computer). There is also a new headlight switch, which is amazingly easy to replace.

·
Registered
99 Posts
did you have to splice the wires in to the BCM? I'm guessing color coding was consistent with the instructions?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No splicing. Color coding was consistent with the instructions. The wires had crimped pins that inserted into existing connectors. My connectors had open spots for the pins although I read that someone did this and their connectors already had wires in the places where the fog light wires go.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got my car reflashed today to enable the fog lights. What an ordeal. The service writers couldn't seem to grasp that "I" had installed the lights from a Mopar kit. They weren't sure what they needed to do. Thank goodness I had the kit instructions to show them what I did, AND show them how to log into the Dodge website, enter the dealer password, and update the VIN information. The mechanic kept my instructions.
Cost was $56.96 which included $3.50 in "misc shop supplies". LOL!
Stuff like this makes me afraid to bring my car to dealers to have them do work like this. Time is money to me so I'd rather buy the kit and have the dealer install it. By the sounds of it they have never done a fog light install before. So basically someone who has never attempted to do an install is entrusted in ripping off the front end of your car, wiring it correctly, tearing apart the interior near your glove box and putting it all together correctly.

Now I don't mind paying for a job done right the first time and correctly but if you are shelling out dough to have some guy "take a shot at it" that's something else. By the sounds of it your dealership falls into that category.

I almost feel like I need to go on an interview to weed out the rookie installers doing OJT on your 30K set of wheels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts