Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those in cold climates running F1's will be experencing the Front End Thump noise when going in reverse and turning the wheels. Usually happens when the air temp is 20 degrees and less.....only way to fix it is to go with RSA's or a different tire. You feel it thump, as well as hear it. Chrysler is aware of it, and said it has no effect and does not hurt anything. So before you go running back and having the service dept rip apart the front end, know that it is probably the F1's.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Which F1s? Supercars?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Those in cold climates running F1's will be experencing the Front End Thump noise when going in reverse and turning the wheels. Usually happens when the air temp is 20 degrees and less.....only way to fix it is to go with RSA's or a different tire. You feel it thump, as well as hear it. Chrysler is aware of it, and said it has no effect and does not hurt anything. So before you go running back and having the service dept rip apart the front end, know that it is probably the F1's.
HUH.....do they develop a flat spot....most tires will in extreme cold temp's.
Or are you talking about something else???

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've worked on SRT8s with every single type of tire, and all of the bitches clunk...

I think it's our crappy cars haha

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's because we have super huge wheels, with low pro tires, and extreme camber when we steer. SO you end up driving on the CORNER of the tire, not the treat part, and it just folds in quickly/temporarily when reversing. Happened to all four different tires I've used on the front:

RSA's
F1's
FK452's
and again FK 452's

- Jamos

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Will going from the 245/45/20 with the F1's up front to 255/45/20 up front (as I planned to with my soon to be replacement) make matters worse?
Larry

·
Registered
660 Posts
I plan on doing the same thing (got my Proxes 4 255's already ordered). It shouldn't make it worse, as the 255's are not that much bigger. It's just the nature of the beast that we have to live with.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should not make it any worse if you go to a 255 over the 245 F1. I don't know how other brands are, but the Goodyear F1's will do it, and the RSA's will not. There were a lot of threads on various forums last winter where everyone experiencing it was running to the dealer thinking it was some serious suspension problem. Not only did you FEEL it in the wheel, you head it. But, I called the hotline, SRT is aware, and said it was no big deal, and I also had the dealer put it on the rack with me under it to make sure.....when it warms up, it goes away. If you live in AZ you do not have the problem. You do in Chicago!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
It should not make it any worse if you go to a 255 over the 245 F1. I don't know how other brands are, but the Goodyear F1's will do it, and the RSA's will not. There were a lot of threads on various forums last winter where everyone experiencing it was running to the dealer thinking it was some serious suspension problem. Not only did you FEEL it in the wheel, you head it. But, I called the hotline, SRT is aware, and said it was no big deal, and I also had the dealer put it on the rack with me under it to make sure.....when it warms up, it goes away. If you live in AZ you do not have the problem. You do in Chicago!
Thanks for info. I live in Florida, and have only heard/fealt it a couple of times during the winter. I don't think I will go with the F1's again, but I am not sure. It is no big deal to me, I just try and not crank the wheel all the way anymore when parking.

Love this car!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts