Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the owners manual the 5.7 Hemi's require 7 quarts. I changed my oil the other day and I put 7 quarts of oil into the engine. Afterwards when I checked the dipstick I noticed that it was about half a quart over.

So does it only really need 6 and 1/2 quarts instead of a full 7 quarts? Is it okay to be about half a quart over the full mark on the dipstick?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
did you check it after driving or right after the change. i know this will probobly start a debate but some say that you want to check it after its up to temp rather than cold. check after you get done driving and post what ya got

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
did you check it after driving or right after the change. i know this will probobly start a debate but some say that you want to check it after its up to temp rather than cold. check after you get done driving and post what ya got
Correct - engine oil should be checked with the engine hot. Unless stated otherwise in the owners manual. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
The PDF owners manual states: "The best time to check the engine oil level is about 5 minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off or before
starting the engine after it has sat overnight."

Overfilled is bad. Better 1/2 quart low than 1/2 quart high.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I believe that my mechanic stated that it takes 6.7 quarts.

It's better to be right on the money...to little and you most likely won't hurt your engine but why chance it? Too much is not better either...you don't want your crank slapping the oil and foaming it up...but I doubt that a half quart is going to make that big a difference in oil depth in your pan...certainly not enough for what I just described.

Check that oil again!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've already driven the car a couple of hundred miles and it's still about half a quart over the full mark on the dipstick.

So should I drain some of it out?

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Call the dealer to see what they say. I'm sure it won't cause any damage but they may tell you to do it...to be on the safe side. I've gone up steep hills under full throttle...where do you think my oil went...surging to the back of the oil pan for the most part...and my oil has never foamed. I kinda wanted to see if it was going to, but it passed the test. Call me crazy!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call the dealer to see what they say. I'm sure it won't cause any damage but they may tell you to do it...to be on the safe side. I've gone up steep hills under full throttle...where do you think my oil went...surging to the back of the oil pan for the most part...and my oil has never foamed. I kinda wanted to see if it was going to, but it passed the test. Call me crazy!
LOL. Well, I decided to just go ahead and drain some oil. So right now the oil is showing in the middle of the safe area on the dipstick.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice!

·
Registered
990 Posts
According to the owners manual the 5.7 Hemi's require 7 quarts. I changed my oil the other day and I put 7 quarts of oil into the engine. Afterwards when I checked the dipstick I noticed that it was about half a quart over.

So does it only really need 6 and 1/2 quarts instead of a full 7 quarts? Is it okay to be about half a quart over the full mark on the dipstick?
This may be a stupid question, but did you change the filter as well? The filter holds about 1/2 quart. The total capacity is 7 quarts, including the filter.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know 1/2qt for the filter and in experience (26,000 miles) 6.5 qts is right on the money.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Let me pose another thought to all. What makes you think the Dipstick is accurate? :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I know 1/2qt for the filter and in experience (26,000 miles) 6.5 qts is right on the money.
I am also at 26K, and have changed the oil at 1k, 3k, and every 3k after, and it has always been 7qt's. Perfectly on the full line.

·
Registered
359 Posts
rookie mistake.

should just fill it 1 quart below reccomended, then follow correct checking procedures and add as needed.

How would you know you are about .5 quart high?
|XXXXXX| = 1 quart in that specific area, but i garauntee it is not linear over the entire dipstick, unless our engine has uniform cross section from top to bottom...leemme go check.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
........Nope

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine Read high after seven quarts and a new Mopar filter as well. I ended up draining about a half quart too. So the question is......Do we trust the dipstick or the manual? May be the dipstick was defectivly XXXXXed? hmmmm.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This may be a stupid question, but did you change the filter as well? The filter holds about 1/2 quart. The total capacity is 7 quarts, including the filter.
Yup. I also changed the filter. In fact, what is weird is that after I drained about 1/3 to 1/2 a quart of oil and drove the car about 300 miles, I noticed that it's now a little over the full mark on the dipstick. This is just plain weird.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts