Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of extra horsepower can you SXT guys get with some performance modifications? I'm not talking with a Nitro Kit or anything.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
What type of extra horsepower can you SXT guys get with some performance modifications? I'm not talking with a Nitro Kit or anything.

Go to you local barn/farm, rent about 10 horses and have them pull your Charger. Don't know if they will run at 90mph, but there's 10 horse power. :lol:

J/K dude!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay Guys,

This is what I'm getting at. The SXT comes with 250 Horse Power [ No slouch ]. Add to that :

1. Performance Chip Module [ Not sure if these are good for engine ] .
2. Cold Air Intake
3. Cat Back Dual Exhaust
4. Functional Ram Air Hood

This is all I really know about for now. Having said that, what kind of Horsepower would one be looking at with these modifications?

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can do lots of things to modify your Charger 3.5L but I'd be careful on looking for elusive "extra horsepower" as it seems difficult to replicate some of the vendor claims of added horses.

Here are things you can do:

1) CAI - Cold Air Intake improves your car's ability to breathe. Even Mopar makes a kit so clearly there's something here. The famous K&N always claims an HP increase even with their drop-in replacement filter.

I'd say that the biggest enhancement is the woooshing sound, particularly when the tuned intake opens up. As for power there's something to this... but with a CAI I get paranoid about driving through dust clouds ;)

2) Exhaust - Lots of choices, just look around here for fresh threads daily :p Dodge gave us a single exhaust with two bumper cut-outs for a reason -- I say fill 'em ! Most people experience little or no performance gains but you can get some great exhaust sounds out of your ride.

3) JET, B&G, Tuner - First there was the JET modules, which fool the computer, then there was the B&G flash, which reprograms the computer, and soon there will be a tuner or two which will let you customize the programming changes to suit your ride. These change the power profile of your engine, no doubt about it.

4) Headers - JBA stepped up and gave us performance shortie headers for the 3.5L. People are saying how much they love them though the jury's still out on the vendor's claimed performance gains. Our high output engine already has some decently designed exhaust manifolds (the increase from 225 to 250 HP in the 3.5 had to come from somewhere) but they're not headers ;)

5) NOS - N2O, nitrous oxide whatever you want to call it can give you more power but from all I've heard this is delivered at great risk to our 3.5 engines and is very hard to get right (ya I know you said no NOS).

5) Supercharger, turbo - these are the most dramatic improvements but again, there is risk. There is already a supercharger kit available (well at least the prototypes were made available) and apparently a turbo is coming.

Then there are the things you do with your engine apart... boring, stroking, etc. Someone else can fill you in on these ;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Okay Guys,

This is what I'm getting at. The SXT comes with 250 Horse Power [ No slouch ]. Add to that :

2. Cold Air Intake
3. Cat Back Dual Exhaust

This is all I really know about for now. Having said that, what kind of Horsepower would one be looking at with these modifications?
The problem is that dyno tests don't mean much unless they are done on the same day of the mod due to atmospheric variables. Doing all this on the same day would be tough... (and a stationary dyno test won't help much for the ram air hood). The real test is the quarter mile, not the dyno.

There's also no evidence that any gains would be addititive.

If you get the headers, a tuner, an intake, an exhaust and they all like each other I'd guess you may add a dozen ponies and possibly up to 20 ft-lbs of torque. That's my goal anyway. Just waiting on the JBA backorder and the tuner (one of which will hopefully be on the market imminently).

If you have fun and enjoy your ride more, you win.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Okay Guys,

2. Cold Air Intake
3. Cat Back Dual Exhaust

LOL!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
HP from Chip? Definitely!
HP from a CAI? LOL
HP from duals? Maybe... depends a LOT on which kind. Most for the V6 don't.
HP from a functional ram air hood? This is just like a CAI IMHO. The ram air box might give you some, but not the SRT8 one.

All are just for looks and sound, except the Chip. If you realy want HP, you need that Supercharger. The headers will provide you some if you have duals and the "right" CAI. But the dyno has not shown any on the ones that tested.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The problem is that dyno tests don't mean much unless they are done on the same day of the mod due to atmospheric variables. Doing all this on the same day would be tough... (and a stationary dyno test won't help much for the ram air hood). The real test is the quarter mile, not the dyno.

There's also no evidence that any gains would be addititive.

If you get the headers, a tuner, an intake, an exhaust and they all like each other I'd guess you may add a dozen ponies and possibly up to 20 ft-lbs of torque. That's my goal anyway. Just waiting on the JBA backorder and the tuner (one of which will hopefully be on the market imminently).

If you have fun and enjoy your ride more, you win.
X100

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
LOL!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
HP from Chip? Definitely!
HP from a CAI? LOL
HP from duals? Maybe... depends a LOT on which kind. Most for the V6 don't.
HP from a functional ram air hood? This is just like a CAI IMHO. The ram air box might give you some, but not the SRT8 one.

All are just for looks and sound, except the Chip. If you realy want HP, you need that Supercharger. The headers will provide you some if you have duals and the "right" CAI. But the dyno has not shown any on the ones that tested.
Did you get your car dynoed after the headers? And no increase?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
How Much are these Super Chargers and are they good for your engine?

I think the one for the Charger is 3K. They void your warranty, so you might want to wait till it expires to slep them on your engine. Good for the engine? They give a lot of HP, does that answer your question? It works on the engine without problems, unlike Nitrous, which if not used carefuly, can create engine stress. Just gotta run premium fuel from that day on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts