Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 R/T about to roll 40K.

The Charger is the first car I've owned with an existing warranty (what was left of the 3/36).

I just received something in the mail asking if I want to extend the warranty since the original one has or is about to expire.

Did anyone do this? or is it a waste...

Any advice is appreciated as I'm not what you would call an expert on this warranty business. Thanks all! :beerchug:

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my opinion, it's a waste. Chances are you'll spend more for the extended warranty then you'll get out of it. Very few people will see a return on their investment.

But if you want health insurance for your car..............

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I've always bought it and I always will. I have the 7 yr/100K on my SRT-8. For every other car I've ever had it on, it has more than paid for itself. Of course, I tend to keep my cars for 7+ years. The nice thing about the Chrysler extended warranty is that if you ever sell the car, you get reimbursed for the remaining balance of the warranty. I got back $1300 of the $1500 I paid for the extended warranty on my '05 Magnum when I bought the SRT-8.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I got one too. I asked my service writer about it and she said it is a good deal but I wouldn't expect anything else out of her mouth. I work on her personal PC's so I am pretty sure she is being honest. My thing is I have a lifetime waranty on the powertrain so what would the extended waranty cover. I am going to call Monday to see how much they want.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
it's been 3 years and 16k miles. At a bit over 5k miles a year, it'll take me about 9 years to break 50k miles. I don't think extended warranty is worth it for me.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
28,000 since November of 07...they want 250.00 to change the plugs & 275.00 to service the tranny! WTF!?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
it's been 3 years and 16k miles. At a bit over 5k miles a year, it'll take me about 9 years to break 50k miles. I don't think extended warranty is worth it for me.
Unless you purchase the lifetime. They offered me the lifetime, bumper to bumper with a few exclusions, for around $2800.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Make sure you read the fine print as to what the warranty covers and what it doesn't. Also check for what the deductible is. Unless you buy the zero deductible one, IMO, not worth it. We bought an extended warranty for our Town & Country we traded in for the Charger. Of all the problems we took it to dealer for, only one thing was covered under the warranty, and after paying the deductible, the warranty only paid out $50. I could have changed the part myself and saved money.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Unless you purchase the lifetime. They offered me the lifetime, bumper to bumper with a few exclusions, for around $2800.
Now THAT'S a deal! I hope you bought it!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
It's a great deal ONLY if you plan to own the car for a long time. Since both of my kids are of driving age now, I don't think I'll be keeping this car for more than a couple of more years. I am itching for a Camaro or some kind of v8 coupe.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I actually just put down the $2800 for the lifetime "Max Care" warranty. Although I plan to keep the car for a minimum of 10 years and I bought it on April 27th and I now have 5000 miles on it. It is my daily driver and it will probably stay that way. I figure I put about 2000 miles a month so by the end of year 5 I'll have 120000 on it and will be looking at some sort of warranty work. In other words, it would have taken me 18 months to run out the 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper.

By they way, they are offering right now 3 years and 0% interest for anyone thinking about it. It turns out to be about $80 per month.

I do all my own maintenance on my car, I just make sure I keep the receipts. According to the dealer, as long as I did that, I would not have a problem with the warranty.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did it and I am glad I did. All I have to pay is $100 deductible. I really got it for the high cost repairs (engine and tranny). I have been to the shop twice already since the 3/36 was up. Once for the tie rods to be replaced and another to replace a valve body in the transmission (symptoms: hard shifting, goes into limp, throws no codes). Both jobs cost me only $200 combined. Actuall cost for the work, $750 for the tranny, $300 for the tie rods. And on top of that got a loaner car for both times foc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts