Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey eveyrone, i got a 5.7l hemi charger. lookin to get exhausts that scream.

i was wondeirng if upgrading the 3 inch pipes from cats back would really make it any louder? i was planning on doing 3 inch pipes from cat back into flowmaster 40s and then a res delete.

or... keeping all stock piping and just removing cats and ress and putting in flowmaster 40s.(obviously much cheaper)

which would be louder?

and also im doing a kn cold air intake for sure.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Borla 140125 :rocker:

The drone never gets old. I love it.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I went through a few different exhaust modes... brylcreem, Mopar, catless mids and Mopar.

The biggest change in sound was removing the cats. Plus added performance...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would love borla, but my price range is much lower haha. but i wish i could do borla.

and ill check out the others thanks! anyother input on my question?

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you're on a budget, I would suggest looking into Pypes. I don't have much to compare it against. All I can say is they sound great, especially when you open it up. I got the street-pro mufflers which have a pretty aggressive sound but have some drone when MDS is active. There are the race-pro mufflers which are less aggressive but no drone. There are also the violator mufflers which are the most aggressive but considerably more drone than the others from what I understand. As I said, I don't have much to compare against since this is the only cat-back I've installed on my Charger. What I can say is that I was looking for an aggressive sound and couldn't be happier with my Pypes.

Here's a link to the page where you can hear what the system sounds like with the street-pro mufflers.

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-mopar.html#02

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you don't have to worry about emissions, I would just go straight pipes no mufflers or Reso's. Even with the cats on, it still has a sweet sound none the less! I do have a video with that vehicle, if you want to hear a sound clip. He may even see this thread, and chime in...

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Going from two 2 1/4" pipes to two 3" pipes will make a noticeable difference. One you may not be at all pleased with.

Pardon if my math is off... you would change your cross section pipe area from 7.952 sq. inches to 14 sq. inches... HUGE increase in flow capacity... which will also dramatically DECREASE your exhaust gas flow rate... which means decreased engine exhaust gas scavenging...

babble babble... you will lose low end power, and maybe get a bit more on the really high rpms... if you race and are WFO all the time... great. If you drive around town... not so much.

You want louder, more power and budget? Get some catless mid pipes. BIG difference from stock.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Going from two 2 1/4" pipes to two 3" pipes will make a noticeable difference. One you may not be at all pleased with.

Pardon if my math is off... you would change your cross section pipe area from 7.952 sq. inches to 14 sq. inches... HUGE increase in flow capacity... which will also dramatically DECREASE your exhaust gas flow rate... which means decreased engine exhaust gas scavenging...

babble babble... you will lose low end power, and maybe get a bit more on the really high rpms... if you race and are WFO all the time... great. If you drive around town... not so much.

You want louder, more power and budget? Get some catless mid pipes. BIG difference from stock.
I 100% agree with this. Bigger doesn't always equate to "better"

Pulling out the muffler/reso's will make a huge difference. Removing the cats (which I wouldn't recommend, but it's not my car) would make a difference. All positive for sound. But continue to use the existing diameter pipe.

Good luck, and er, post up a sound clip when ya get 'er done!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Removing the cats is NOT the greatest idea for many good reasons. I don't normally recommend that. Since the OP mentions it first, and I did it to mine, best exhaust mod I have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone! i do have emissions here in arizona but i plan on getting them passed for a 2 yr span and then doing the mods haha. i think i might roll with the muffler/res delete. i have heard a few clips of it and it sounds awesome! hopefully i dont get too much attention from the cops though haha. if i do, ill just throw in a flowmaster 40 or something and deal with it. as far as CAI, whats the best bang for my buck? i was plannin on kn CAI. on amazon theyare like 230 bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Check GMG's sig for a great CAI.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright! im thinking of going with the muffler res delete. i like the sound and its cheap. a few questions, is the drone bad at all? and is there any horsepower increase or anthing? thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I deleted my resonators... IMO it was crazy drone. I deleted the mid mufflers and left the resonators ... I liked that better, although not loud enough, no drone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I deleted my resonators... IMO it was crazy drone. I deleted the mid mufflers and left the resonators ... I liked that better, although not loud enough, no drone.
what would you think about doing both?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Deleting the mid muffler and resonators.. just straight pipe.
I know it would be loud, probably decent... the cats quiet the exhaust quite a bit.

You get used to drone, your passengers don't.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya thats fine with me. but i didnt wanna cut the cats becuase of it throwing of censors etc. and my passengers can deal ha/.

and as far as cutout, too much money

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Deleting the resonators was the worst thing I did. Drone wasn't bad a low speeds, but between 70 and 80, I measured interior noise at 95dB. After about a month, I couldn't hear so good out of my right ear, so I installed Zoomers Cannon tips and that calmed it down. I still have to shout to the rear passengers, but at least my hearing's coming back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deleting the resonators was the worst thing I did. Drone wasn't bad a low speeds, but between 70 and 80, I measured interior noise at 95dB. After about a month, I couldn't hear so good out of my right ear, so I installed Zoomers Cannon tips and that calmed it down. I still have to shout to the rear passengers, but at least my hearing's coming back.
so youre saying if im not on the freeway a ton it should be a good mod? because in all honesty, to have this dirty sounding car, ide take surface streets to work haha. so anywhere from 20to55 it shouldnt be terrible?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts