Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had 12in slanted chrome tips installed with my flowmasters.

I have drone around 2k rpms. Does anyone have shorter tips
similiar to these:

Does anyone know if going shorter would reduce drone?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Do they come out past the bumper, flush or recessed into the bumper? Resonance can occur from the tips being too close to the bumper, and echoing off it.
The length of the exhaust is also a factor, I lengthened mine and reduced the drone.

Ensure the system is properly isolated from the body, and supported, vibration can occur in longer, unsupported sections, causing drone. Attaching lead weights (to the vibrating section of pipe) can sometimes counter these vibrations.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they come out past the bumper, flush or recessed into the bumper? Resonance can occur from the tips being too close to the bumper, and echoing off it.
The length of the exhaust is also a factor, I lengthened mine and reduced the drone.

Ensure the system is properly isolated from the body, and supported, vibration can occur in longer, unsupported sections, causing drone. Attaching lead weights (to the vibrating section of pipe) can sometimes counter these vibrations.
The tips come out maybe a 1 inch past the bumper. They are supported very well in my opinion due to the fact there is no play when Im shining them..:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had tips like the long ones shown when I changed to my super 40s,sounded great at WOT, but the drone was insane. I ended up going with a set of blastin bob glasspack resos and 4" D/W tips,the drone is tolerable now,nice rumble on startup and the car still sounds great when you stand on it.D,:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
I have the short tips and I love them! I have the Magnaflow tips by the way.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am having the same dilema. I have the short stock R/T tips right now but just scored some 12" Edelbrock tips. Same dimensions as the stock ones (2.5 in / 3.5 out ) Gettin them installed hopefully Friday. Have heard the size really makes no difference in sound but can affect performance....or so I hear.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am having the same dilema. I have the short stock R/T tips right now but just scored some 12" Edelbrock tips. Same dimensions as the stock ones (2.5 in / 3.5 out ) Gettin them installed hopefully Friday. Have heard the size really makes no difference in sound but can affect performance....or so I hear.
If you've ever seen a megaphone,they are designed to amplify sound. So with the bigger dia./ longer tips it will make the exhaust louder and the drone louder. This is not to say that smaller tips are any less loud, the just don't amplify the sound as much. You might get some scavenging effect from the divergent angles of the exhaust tubing and the tip entrance ,but I doubt it. The only way to control drone is with a resonated tip or some type of straight through muffled resonator(if you don't believe me call Blastin' Bob). If you want the car to be loud, don't run resos,but you'll have to live with the drone.Don't get me wrong they sound great this way ,but if you spend any amout of time on the freeway, the drone will get old fast (yes even with the MDS off),D:beerchug:

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you've ever seen a megaphone,they are designed to amplify sound. So with the bigger dia./ longer tips it will make the exhaust louder and the drone louder. This is not to say that smaller tips are any less loud, the just don't amplify the sound as much. You might get some scavenging effect from the divergent angles of the exhaust tubing and the tip entrance ,but I doubt it. The only way to control drone is with a resonated tip or some type of straight through muffled resonator(if you don't believe me call Blastin' Bob). If you want the car to be loud, don't run resos,but you'll have to live with the drone.Don't get me wrong they sound great this way ,but if you spend any amout of time on the freeway, the drone will get old fast (yes even with the MDS off),D:beerchug:
Great....so with the tips I just got, the drone is gonna be even louder ? I got ones 12" long....& the drone SUCKS on the freeways. I have Flows Super 10's/reso delete. Will just have to see what happens.

·
Registered
942 Posts
What's drone? :p Every person reacts differently to drone. We currently have stock cats, straight out to reso'd tips(2.25 ID/3.5 OD) and TO ME, there is no drone up to about 2200 rpms. After that, there is drone, but it's still tolerable. The wife and I can carry on a convo, the kid can hear us in the back. She falls asleep with no issues. You can hear the radio just fine. This is one of the quieter vehicles I've owned, honestly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts