Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drives a '16 R/T. She would like to upgrade her exhaust. All she wants is a slightly more aggressive sound, but no drone. On Her last Charger, an '06, we removed the resonators . Sound was OK, but the drone was terrible. She likes the sound of my Challenger SRT, but no louder.

All this said, would anyone care to make a recommendation? I know there's probably tons of posts on this subject, but I'm hoping what she wants points to a particular aftermarket systems. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dynomax Mini Bullets in place of the mid mufflers with the resos untouched will give her a better tone, no rasp and no drone.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Corsa Performance, I run the Sport series. There is the Extreme but I think she would like the Sport.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Solo Performance...best bang for the buck out there:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It sounds like you've got your heart set on a new aftermarket exhaust, and there are plenty of those for her car. Hard to go wrong with the Solo, especially if you're concerned about drone.

On the off chance that you might be interested in saving a few bucks, you can modify what she's already got. As has been pointed out upthread, you can have the mid-mufflers cut off and replaced with smaller units, or just straight pipe if you like. Plenty of examples on YouTube.

On my '14 R/T, I was after a modest improvement in sound...didn't want anything too loud or obnoxious...so I modified my resonators at a cost of about $20. They're the most restrictive part of your exhaust, so you might be surprised at how much room there is for improvement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I can afford an aftermarket system, if I can get a better time less expensively, I'm all ears. Very interested to learn about the modification you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
While I can afford an aftermarket system, if I can get a better time less expensively, I'm all ears. Very interested to learn about the modification you mentioned.
I don't know about "better than aftermarket". The Solo is tough to beat. But since you mentioned "slightly more aggressive" sound, you have a few options in terms of mods. You can cut out the mid-mufflers and replace them with smaller, straight through aftermarket units or even straight pipe. Straight pipe in place of the mid-mufflers will give you a bit of a rasp. Some people like it and some don't. That's where aftermarket mufflers can be an improvement. If you're interested in going that route, check out YouTube for examples.

The modification I made to my '14 R/T Blacktop was to open up the resonators. On a 5.7, they're the most restrictive part of the exhaust. You can drill upwards through the last chamber of the resonator and through both sides of the exit pipe. If you like, you can start small, say 1/4", and then go larger, or even drill additional holes, until you get the sound where you like it, with no drone. I ended up going with two 1/2" holes in each resonator, so that each exit pipe has four 1/2" holes. You can either plug the holes in the outer shell or not. If you don't, you'll have more sound (and you'll also have people telling you that your death by carbon monoxide poisoning is imminent, even though the resonators come from the factory with weep holes in the shell). I used button plugs from Home Despot, sealed with high-temp RTV.

I like the result. To me, it sounds like the way an R/T should sound from the factory, deeper than stock and just throaty enough so you don't need to ask, "Is that a Hemi?" But it's not obnoxious in any way, it's hardly noticeable inside the cabin and there's no drone at all, even in MDS mode. There's no hint of rasp or whipcrack.

Another option is to drill holes in the Hemholtz chamber of the resonators to "tune" them. I'll probably try this mod next time, because it only requires one hole in each resonator (or just one side if you want), and even a 1/16" hole can make a difference. Stainless is a bear to drill through, especially when you're trying to drill into a pipe through a pilot hole, so drilling one much smaller hole through one layer of stainless is a lot easier. Like the other mod, you can adjust this one by starting very small and going larger, and/or trying one side first. This mod is also fairly easily reversed by closing the hole with a pop rivet.

If you want more info, check out this post from Drex on our sister site. He took the idea from a Corvette forum and ran with it. Lots of good info on his thread.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Charger RT Plus
58 Posts
Hey 19USMC69

I just recently did a mid muffler delete on my 2015 charger RT, just over a week ago. I left the resonators on and just had them cut off the mufflers and put straight pipes in their place. I too wanted a more aggressive sound, and wanted it to sound like a HEMI - but did not want it to be obnoxious or annoying.

I just wanted to wake it up with a throaty sound - but still wanted a smooth ride with no annoying sound in the cabin. when driving. I didn't do any resonator modification like Carl mentions.
There is no drone and no raspiness. I did quite alot of research & asked on this board to make sure I would choose the best option with without the raspy sound, one of the biggest things I wanted to stay away from.
I must have watched every youtube video.

These cars have a nice exhaust system, they just quieted them down with those mufflers because it was made as a sedan for everyday driving.

You won't regret a mid muffler delete! believe me. I love it & I'm very picky. Loud when I want and quiet when I want it.
Just make sure you hold onto mufflers incase you ever want to put them back on - but you won't.

Cedarg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old threat but I’m late to the show. I have a 2016 R/T. I had Flowmaster 40 series mufflers put on it and it sounds amazing. It has a deep, aggressive rumble. I can make a video if it if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's the deep humming or vibrating sound you may hear inside the car as you cruise down the road.
If you remove the resonatos, you will hear that. If you keep them on and just do a muffler delete, you won't hear that.

Cedarg

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That's the deep humming or vibrating sound you may hear inside the car as you cruise down the road.
If you remove the resonatos, you will hear that. If you keep them on and just do a muffler delete, you won't hear that.

Cedarg
Pretty sure he knows what drone is, since his OP says, "All she wants is a slightly more aggressive sound, but no drone."

I don't want to speak for him, but I think he was most likely asking ChargerLoverRTLarge if the Flowmaster system he installed produced any drone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pretty sure he knows what drone is, since his OP says, "All she wants is a slightly more aggressive sound, but no drone."

I don't want to speak for him, but I think he was most likely asking ChargerLoverRTLarge if the Flowmaster system he installed produced any drone.

LOL - my apologies, perhaps I should have read his intital post gain.

Cedarg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll throw in a stock Scat pack exhaust swap. My 16 R/t was timid and quiet, had no muscle sound at all. Mid muffler delete won't really be what your wife wants. Startup videos don't show how the car drones under load, even the silent stock exhaust will made some noise under these conditions. Without any active exhaust system you are at the mercy of the mufflers and resonators.

The stock scat setup is tuned to work together, and makes nice sound but only loud during cold startup.
I made a bad video which did capture some of the sound taking off

Traditional cold start

Totally stock cold start video, boy that's quiet

I had to swap out the rear valance with a Pursuit one and remove the bumper tips., now there are aftermarkets for the base trim R/T as the Scat bumper type doesn't fit

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Scat exhaust is 2.75" vs the stock 2.5" diameter, plus the resonators are much smaller. This gives easier upgrade to adding 6.4 manifolds and cat pipes. I had the stock cat pipes welded with adapters for now, I do have the stock shorty headers and cat pipes.
IMG_0868.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Scat exhaust is 2.75" vs the stock 2.5" diameter, plus the resonators are much smaller. This gives easier upgrade to adding 6.4 manifolds and cat pipes. I had the stock cat pipes welded with adapters for now, I do have the stock shorty headers and cat pipes. View attachment 294146
Just to clarify, the stock exhaust on a 16 RT is 2.25. Not 2.5

Cedarg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just to clarify, the stock exhaust on a 16 RT is 2.25. Not 2.5

Cedarg
The stock mid pipes are 2.5 inches and the shop welded adapters to fit the 2.75 inch cat back 2011-2016 R/T have the same Exhaust except the turndowns were changed in 2015
A90DE133-4869-4FFD-BBFA-7A1F24C15C8E.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
For a 5.7 R/T, I like the idea of upgrading with stock type parts (Scatpack exhaust) because this leaves room for exploring the upper limits of the 5.7's capabilities. You have to be at the right place at the right time to get the parts, though.

If the OP was looking for something less complicated, working with the original system make a lot of sense. A mid muffler delete leaving the resonators in place is obviously the easiest thing to do. I really wonder how restrictive those resonators are? The exhaust gasses contract as they cool which must have been taken into consideration when the engineers developed this system. Seeing what CtCarl did to modify his resonators makes me curious to try something like this out next time. Not knowing this, I tried a different approach.

I was interested in retaining a stock type exhaust system until the exhaust manifolds or headers were swapped. I found someone who was offering a mid-muffler and resonator deleted system (straight pipe) for super cheap. So, I dropped the original stock system and bolted up the straight pipes. In case anyone is curious, this also saves 30 pounds of weight. The straight pipes were objectionably loud. I probably could have lived with it but I didn't want to repel my wife from riding with me so I had to figure something out. I found a way to install turbo mufflers (not resonators, glasspacks or anything else that would wind up being too loud) in the place where the resonators used to reside.

Most people in the know are aware that the space where the resonators sit doesn't allow for anything larger than a 13" muffler case and the tailpipes run wicked bends due to how the resonators sit in there relative to the location of the exhaust outlet tips on the bumper cover. I physically test fitted 4 muffler brands (Magnaflow, Thrush, Dynomax, etc) and found that a Flowtech Raptor Turbo muffler, 50051FLT, with slight modifications (you have to cut 1" off the inlet side of the pipe) welds in place of the stock resonators. even though the "specs" of this muffler says that it's a 4x9 design, the chamber length is 13". Though this is only offered in an offset inlet/center out configuration (offset/offset would be perfect), as long as you're welding things in and use the right types of hangers the muffler outlets sit just inside of the tailpipe exhaust tips. This is the largest case muffler that can be installed in this space.

At this point, some will note that Blastin' Bobs offers a rear exhaust system kit with a claim that the mufflers are "4x9x14" but this kit does not give you a 14" chamber muffler. The body length is 11" (Magnaflow) and the kit forces you to cut a lot of stainless piping replacing it with aluminized steel all for a $360 price tag plus shipping. Since this is close to half way the cost of a completely new stainless system why bother?

What are the benefits of doing this? Turbo mufflers in place of resonators at the back end of the exhaust system pose little to no restrictions. There no drone, even when 4 cylinders deactivate, and (I know that sound is a subjective thing) the sound to me is classic muscle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts