Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got my 2012 Charger V6 3.6L, im trying to find a decent exhaust and get away from the wimpy stock. I'v looked at flowmaster and magnaflow and jesus christ they are expensive. I don't really want to get anything obnoxious sounding just a subtle growl to it and would like something to add a little more power and if at all possible some fuel economy.

·
Registered
906 Posts
get a Pypes system for your car. $399.99 or see for yourself at marylandspeed.com

Reactions: Zekiniza

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Those were the same two options I was going to give. Swap the muffler for a aftermarket one, and retain the rest of the OEM pipes. Leaving the resonators on will keep it from being obnoxiously loud. Or swap to a Pypes system which is affordable, but IIRC don't have a reso so they may be a bit louder than a muffler swap. Either way should sound a little better without being crazy loud, or breaking the bank.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
What would help us help you the most would be for you to inform us of what your budget is!

Tell us how much you want to spend on an exhaust and we can give you the best option(s) for your price range.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Judging by the title of the thread I assumed the goal was to find the cheapest possible option. Funny you should mention the budget though. I find it interesting that "the best" sound is presumed to cost more. Why would a simple muffler swap (a reasonably cheap option) automatically be assumed to sound worse than something like a Corsa that cost $1500? Have we gotten too caught up in how much you spend on a mod to actually choose the best one?
I don't know, I'm not trying to sound like I'm crapping on your post, it's a good question. It just struck me as odd, that the budget always seems to come up, before anything else. For example, is the PVC homebrew intake REALLY any worse than the K&N intake, or do we just feel more secure in knowing that we paid top dollar for it, so it must be good? Is the same thing true with exhausts, rims, hoods, etc?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Judging by the title of the thread I assumed the goal was to find the cheapest possible option. Funny you should mention the budget though. I find it interesting that "the best" sound is presumed to cost more. Why would a simple muffler swap (a reasonably cheap option) automatically be assumed to sound worse than something like a Corsa that cost $1500? Have we gotten too caught up in how much you spend on a mod to actually choose the best one?
I don't know, I'm not trying to sound like I'm crapping on your post, it's a good question. It just struck me as odd, that the budget always seems to come up, before anything else. For example, is the PVC homebrew intake REALLY any worse than the K&N intake, or do we just feel more secure in knowing that we paid top dollar for it, so it must be good? Is the same thing true with exhausts, rims, hoods, etc?

No offense taken. I just want to lay out all the possibilities for the OP, and knowing his budget allows myself and others to give him an all encompassing set of options. To me that's just common sense.

Now the price vs. quality issue depends on the person. Personal opinion is the biggest opinion is the biggest factor.

On the exhaust note, my personal opinion is I don't like cutting up the stock exhaust for a muffler swap. Yes it's one of the cheapest options but the materials used in the swap (primarily new piping) are cheap. Aluminized steel piping, which is far worse than the nice stainless steel your stock exhaust was made of, is pointless to spend money on. Why pay to replace something you had (that was better) with a product that is inherently worse? It doesn't make sense.

Plus the opportunity for horsepower gains (albeit minimal gains) come into play with a full catback system because you usually move from a 2.25 diameter pipe to 2.5 diameter pipe. You can't get that with a muffler swap and it's rare that an exhaust shop carries more than one diameter tubing, at least in my experience.

Traditionally you get what you pay for; not all the time but the majority of the time. The K&N intake is a good example for your argument; it's pricey but it has been proven to decrease power. But there are far better options that are more affordable (LMI). The homemade CAI is great but to some it doesn't "look" as nice and there isn't much data substantiating performance vs cost for that mod. Now assuming they follow the basics of a wide diameter tube, no radical bends, smooth for less turbulent flow, etc. one can expect very similar results to a professionally made CAO. Although for a few more bucks you can purchase an LMI product that is handmade/laid carbon fiber (which the average Joe isn't going to make their CAI out of) and proven to work, plus save yourself a whole lot of time and energy. I could go on for days here...that's why I said it's all a matter of opinion. None the less you made a good point. I have always been a firm believer in the old adage "you get what you pay for". I've attempted to go the cheaper route a few times and I've gotten burned every time. I feel if I payed 30+ thousand on a vehicle I'm going to put quality products into it. Research goes a long way too...with the appropriate research one can save some bucks and still get a quality product.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Ah, and there it is.... "you get what you pay for". As noted, that IS all too often true. I think you make an even better point when you mention that you paid $30K+ for the car why not spend the extra on the car. Even if it's just for peace of mind knowing that you got a part that was specifically designed/tested for you car.

Which I guess leads back to your original question. I suppose the cheapest that's worth the money is dependent upon the budget.

And all this is really irrelevant. I'm just chatting it up, bumping the thread till the OP responds to your question so more informed opinions can be given.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I agree with the OP, exhaust prices are ridiculous. I'm really wanting a Corsa xtreme for my R/T, but it's just so expensive. I can't find anything for less than about $1300. The sound is amazing (at least in my opinion), and I find the dual tips to be nicer on the eyes than the fake tips that come stock on our cars. I'm still on the border of just doing a muffler delete and leaving the resos then adding dual tips, and the Corsa. I know there are other options in between, but to me the Corsa sounds the best and doesn't have drone. I haven't heard of any other cat backs out for our cars that don't produce drone, and have the beastly sound of the Corsa.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Ah, and there it is.... "you get what you pay for". As noted, that IS all too often true. I think you make an even better point when you mention that you paid $30K+ for the car why not spend the extra on the car. Even if it's just for peace of mind knowing that you got a part that was specifically designed/tested for you car.

Which I guess leads back to your original question. I suppose the cheapest that's worth the money is dependent upon the budget.

And all this is really irrelevant. I'm just chatting it up, bumping the thread till the OP responds to your question so more informed opinions can be given.

All was good discussion though. We highlighted some excellent points that aren't brought up too often.

I'm sure OP will respond soon.

I do agree that certain exhausts are ridiculous. I refused to pay the 1400 bucks for a corsa. Luck would have it that I don't care much for corsa's sound either. That's why it's a great thing we have tons of options for these cars.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
FWIW, I've become rather fond of Dynomax since my first one on my '05 Ram. Good clean sound, at a reasonable price.

I agree with the OP, exhaust prices are ridiculous. I'm really wanting a Corsa xtreme for my R/T, but it's just so expensive. I can't find anything for less than about $1300......
The kit for the '11-'14 RT is usually around $800, but it's on sale on Amazon Prime right now for $334.09. →
The Amazon page doesn't show it as a fit on the '14, but they just haven't updated it. Per Dynomax '11-'14 have the same part number (39518) so it WILL fit.
However this kit doesn't have resonators, so it may have drone (I haven't heard it so I don't know, but assume w/o a reso it will), and you're still using the stock tips/ports on the bumper. But hey it's a quality exhaust for under $350, and orders through Prime deliver in 2 days.

To the OP, with a V6. They probably have something in the same price range that will fit your car. And really the RT exhaust will fit, it's just not the optimal diameter, so it may not sound as good, but it will fit if you are inclined to try it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Yeah I have looked into the 39518 because it is such a great price. Asking around, I found where others had drone when going up small incline hills. Here in Portland, we have several of these, so that has kept me from getting the dynomax.

What do you think of axle back systems?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Something like a Blastin' Bob's system? If you're simply removing the resonator, for a straight pipe you're going to have drone. At least according to everything I've read. If you get one of their systems, that replace it with something like a mini muffler (essentially what a reso is → BB reso kits), then you should be able to get away from the drone, though I wonder how much different it will sound with the stock mufflers still in place. I suspect you'd be better off leaving the stock resonators in, and swapping or removing the stock mufflers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts