Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been quite perplexed the past few days with my 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8. When I originally bought the car it had stock headers and stock catalytic converter on the car. But it had an aftermarket straight pipe from the cat's back. Nothing name brand, it was just a custom shop job. Over the past few months my car has been on jack stands and I have done many things to the car, one of which was I recently installed long tube headers that I bought from my friend who he had on his C 300, 5.7 Hemi . Once I got the car up and running I drove for about a week with just the long tubes dumped to nothing. I finally got tired of not being able to hear myself think so I went to an exhaust shop and had them install two aftermarket (I believe universal) high flow cats and mount them to my old exhaust. So now I have long tube headers, high flow cats, and straight pipes from the cat back (not sure if it makes a difference, but I also did a gasket match on my intake manifold). Now where I am a little confused is; I feel like the car is now more quiet than when I had stock headers and stock catalytic converter. I know it's been a long time since I drove the car, and then I started driving it with just headers on it. But even my girlfriend who knows not a single thing about cars said she feels it's quieter than before. How is this possible?! Is there a break-in. On the high flow cats? I have only had them on for a few days now. I maybe Drive 40 miles a day.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I must admit, that wing caught me off guard. Not my cup of tea, but if you like it, thats cool.

It may be quiet inside the car, but do a drive by and see how loud it is. Post a pic of the exhaust tips, noise in the cabin is directly related to how far the tips stick out past the bumper.

I bet its louder that before, just your perception is off as you were super loud with the open exhaust.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Probably damaged hearing driving around with open headers so now everything sounds muted.

3 pose photos of the wing. Not sure what the real topic is about. Got any undercarriage shots of the current exhaust set up?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You got the rong wang Johnson.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Widebody
96 Posts
Post a video with sound so we can hear it, I can't imagine how it would be quieter than stock with the new setup. LTHs and Hi-Flow cats should sound great.
Even though the wing isn't my thing, your SRT looks pretty badass. Nice ride!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I must admit, that wing caught me off guard. Not my cup of tea, but if you like it, thats cool.
You just HAD to go and point that out. You could have let me think it was part of the lift behind the car, but nooooooo.

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
You just HAD to go and point that out. You could have let me think it was part of the lift behind the car, but nooooooo.

Thanks so much!!
Actually, when i first looked, thought the trunk was just up. Now the grill, kingsford and mountian dew, thats cool!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It may be quiet inside the car, but do a drive by and see how loud it is. Post a pic of the exhaust tips, noise in the cabin is directly related to how far the tips stick out past the bumper.

I bet its louder that before, just your perception is off as you were super loud with the open exhaust.
Yeah the wing gets a lot of attention. Most people with your opinion and that's okay. I knew what I was getting into. Lol yeah that was my thought too. I was so used to the long tubes dumped under me that it sounds so quite now. But I have also read a lot of posts now about some people's long tubes actually quitting down the car.... Who knows... I'll post in cabin vid after I respond to everyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably damaged hearing driving around with open headers so now everything sounds muted.

3 pose photos of the wing. Not sure what the real topic is about. Got any undercarriage shots of the current exhaust set up?
I have to check tomorrow for a exhaust leak now so I'll try and take pics tomorrow. Shitty in cabin vid posting tonight

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There’s no way it’s quieter with long tubes, high flow cats to a straight pipe compared to your set up before.
I have actually read a decent amount of arrivals where people are claiming to do long tubes and it ends up quieting the car down ... Can't find anyone to explain why though. But at least I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think younger people call it 'Wang', if I'm not mistaken.

Lmao! It's big wang gang fam! I know it's unpopular opinion amunst mopar people... It'll make more sense when the build is done. But I'm trying to do a modern take one the old Dayton.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Post a video with sound so we can hear it, I can't imagine how it would be quieter than stock with the new setup. LTHs and Hi-Flow cats should sound great.
Even though the wing isn't my thing, your SRT looks pretty badass. Nice ride!
I already had straight pipes from the cat back. I recently added the hi flows and the long tubes. But I'm posting in cabin vid now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried to post the video I took this afternoon but the forum keeps pulling up and error. I'll try again tomorrow and take a better one anyway!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
To be fair - at first I thought it was a dedicated track car of sorts...until I noticed how slammed it was.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts