Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out what I could do to get some more growl out of my HEMI without spending too much. I was considering the Blastin Bob mod for about $150. I recently asked a local exhaust shop about doing this for me, without buying the kit...specifically asking them how important the tips actually were. They told me they could do the mod themselves for about $100, without tips, and that it would sound the same. Anyone have any experience with cutting out the resonators and doing straight pipe with no tips? Do tips really make a difference in the sound?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Actually......its "original" name is the "Tuna Boat" Mod. Yes....It's a blast, no, lack of tips won't hurt anything (cept maybe your "eyes") and I "think" that it sounds better going to a 3-4" tip.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO the only thing the tuna boat mod is good for is lots of drone on the highway.
I'm definitely not looking for drone...so are you suggesting that the BB tips in his kit cut out the drone? It seems that most folks that have done the BB kit are pleased with the results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
no resos

i have 07' rt w/o resos and can say that driving around neighborhood or in city going from stoplight to stoplight it has a good growl, but on highway there is quite a bit of drone. short distances are tolerable, but me a family took a trip from ks. to s.d. 1500 mi. round trip and we wont do that again. i'm planning on mopar long tubes and borla 112 with electric cutouts before borla resos for when i want a little extra sound.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Yeah - there's another problem with continued drone/resonance and that's driver/passanger fatique.

Lots of noise/vibration takes it out of the Huiman body - so not only is it annoying, it's very, very tiring!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I just put an exhaust from a Daytona on my R/T and really like the sound. Louder than a stock R/T with out the Road&Track pacakage, but no drone.

You'll see people sell their stock Daytona exhausts on here occasionally and they aren't too expensive, and most garages only charge one hours labor to swap them.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
When i cut the resos off both my silver R/T and my sublime there is a night and day sound difference, and it deff sounds mean at idle....as far as drone goes, I travel back and forth From Orlando to Miami and on cruise control all i hear is a very slight deep hum that to me sounds like any car ive been in with exhaust, and the radio on volume 3 covers it completely

AND, having the resos off the car looks 1000000x better then having them on IMO

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah - there's another problem with continued drone/resonance and that's driver/passanger fatique.

Lots of noise/vibration takes it out of the Huiman body - so not only is it annoying, it's very, very tiring!
1,163 posts per month on average. How do you do it? This is my 100th post and it has taken me nearly 8 months.

Sorry for the hi-jack, back to your regularly scheduled ranting.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A good drone at 65mph steady speed but who cruises at 65 not much at 75-80 killer drone at 1800-2000rpms like crack your teeth drone then it shifts and it is gone for $150-$200 to remove resinators try it b4 you put down big coin on new exhaust. It might buy you a year to think over which exhaust and headers you really want.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
IMHO the only thing the tuna boat mod is good for is lots of drone on the highway.
Well.....thats one guys opinion.:lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just did the reso delete. It gave my car the sound I was looking for. As far as vibrations and a loud drone, I haven't experienced it yet. For $40 how can you beat the mod.

·
Registered
584 Posts
How about the Blastin' Bobs set with the straight through glasspacks? Maybe less drone, but still more sound than stock?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
blastin bob makes a resonated kit that he designed for the 5.7's these are sposed to be killer. like 160 for the set. aint bad at all. the rest of his kits"the 7-11 db kits) arent built to reduce drone

just fyi

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts