Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an aggravating situation. Took the Charger in for inspection (for context: its a 2016 SRT) at my local dealer. It failed because one of the exhaust valves is stuck. In order to get it past inspection, they're telling me I need to drop almost $4000 to replace the entire exhaust. The mechanic's explanation is that it doesn't impact day to day driving, but as long as the error is registering, the state DOT won't let their machine print out an inspection sticker (this is Pennsylvania's DOT).

This error has been happening on and off for two years. Seems to only come up when i'm in heavy traffic with lots of stop and go; mechanic has previously just reset the system and it doesn't come back on highway driving.

Can anyone tell if there's a better option than dropping 4000, should I write a complaint to someone? (if so, who?)

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you're talking about the active exhaust valve being stuck just order the MF-ER1 delete kit and be done with it. No way I'd spend $4k on an entire exhaust over a stuck AEV

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If this is an emissions test or requirement, I think I'd remind the dealer that it should be covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty.

If you need to replace a valve, the part might not be covered, but if it's an electronic issue, it just might be.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Only 2 years / 24,000 mile coverage for most emissions parts, only the catalytic converters and PCM are covered for 8/80 and doesn't look like anything in the exhaust system beyond the cats is considered emissions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is no way any sane person could even remotely consider the AEV as part of emissions. It's a freaking flap with a hole in it. Just like a woman's, it's useless until you want it.

With the MF-er1, unless they get under there and actually know what they're looking at/for, it will look VERY stock. The electronics don't trigger the CEL and other than the sound, they won't even notice it's different.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yeah, I know the valve is not covered.

The OP is skosh on details. Maybe it's clear to the OP, but he didn't explain how the stealership came to the conclusion that the valve is "stuck", or whether or not the valve itself is defective. That's an electronically controlled valve, and all I am saying, is that if it's possible that the PCM or some other electronics are at fault, that should be ruled out before any other repair is attempted.

If it were me, I'd wouldn't be happy if I put in the MFER-1 and still failed inspection because of a CEL or DTC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I know the valve is not covered.

The OP is skosh on details. Maybe it's clear to the OP, but he didn't explain how the stealership came to the conclusion that the valve is "stuck", or whether or not the valve itself is defective. That's an electronically controlled valve, and all I am saying, is that if it's possible that the PCM or some other electronics are at fault, that should be ruled out before any other repair is attempted.

If it were me, I'd wouldn't be happy if I put in the MFER-1 and still failed inspection because an a CEL or DTC.
Not sure how it became stuck only that it has, and has been a recurring problem. Two different dealerships have looked at it. They both ruled out the PCM.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not sure how it became stuck only that it has, and has been a recurring problem. Two different dealerships have looked at it. They both ruled out the PCM.
Is the problem that the CEL is on or a code is present when they hook it up to the inspection computer? If so, what's the code?

If the actuators aren't bad and a valve is actually sticking (which is most likely the case, then the MF-er1 is your cheapest fix. If it's a bad actuator (not actually moving the valve, then you just need to replace them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The valves suck. If you choose to replace the exhaust i would go with stainless works it is the only 1 out there that comes with the actual valve built into the system as opposed to cutting out your old valves and reusing the stock valves. It sounds amazing and is a bolt on cat back and is about $1200.....i heard magnaflow just came out with their own custom valves for our cars, but the actuators themselves are a pain in the ass. If you have had any work done to the exhaust and actuators have been taken off and were not put back on correctly they will throw codes until fixed. I had this issue with a flowmaster system and it took me a few months to correct. It sucks to not get answers from the dealer..... going through it now with a transmission issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts