Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am headed to the local exhaust shop tomorrow. Read in the LXforums that the flowmaster 40's in place of the suitcase muffler gave a great musclecar sound at WOT but left the interior quiet during normal operation. Oh yeah, and the resonators were kept in place. Just wondering, because I don't remember previously reading, if anyone else has worked this setup on their Chargers? I want the musclecar sound without having to yell in competition with interior drone. If anyone out there can give me an opinion....and I know ya'll can :whistle: ....please do so. I may even just put straight pipes on with resonators only to see what, and how loud, that is. Hit and miss until I find that perfect sound, if ya know what I mean. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
the drone isn't as bad as people make it out to be. try going as aggressive as possible and then add on till you find the right sound. but i have never (EVER) had to yell over my exhaust and it is aggressive. only mufflers and no resonators. try aggressive and if you don't like it add muffs and then finally reson. last to get that sound.....

ncharge that is going to rock!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet sound resonatorless! I just may have to go that way. Will know for sure tomorrow. I am going to go aggressive because the car just screams 'I gotta make noise!' Thanks for the input ya'll....of course now the 'what to do' factor hasn't lessened up. :happy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I HAVE HAD THE FLOWMASTER SETUP FOR ABOUT A WEEK. I COULDNT BE HAPPIER. IT SOUNDS GREAT WITH NO INTERIOR NOISE. i ALOS HAVE THE K&N CAI.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I Have Had The Flowmaster Setup For About A Week. I Couldnt Be Happier. It Sounds Great With No Interior Noise. I Also Have The K&n Cai.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Sounds good enuf to me.

Just bought the tips. Nice big and fat 4" cans. They will fill the bumper cutouts nicely. Looks like the ones you got AZ. Performance 3?? Heavy suckers. Nice rolled edge. I going to the shop in the morning to see if the guy will do it for me. Otherwise I have an appt. with Midas on Monday. He said he'll set me up nice. 125.00 I know... big money for a set of tubing... but figure he's going to bend pipe and make welds. It will be a clean job and may be worth it.

Get this... was all over today looking for shops to do this for me... and nobody wanted to do it... or they were saying it was going to screw-up my engine. Gezzzz If that wasn't enuf, I had another Midas guy tell me that Midas wasn't allowed to make mods to cars. Hope this "other guy" pans out for me in the morning... otherwise I gotta wait till Monday afternoon. Agggrrrhhh. I hate waiting.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went today and tested a couple setups...like florza muffs with resonators....way too gutless sounding...ended up with florza muffs, no resonators and 18" stainless tips at 3" diameter. A little drone keeping it at 38/40 and when the 4 cylinders deactivate at slower speeds. Cruising 60 or so sounds awesome and some kick-butt sounds when dropping speed fast. Extremely pleased all the way around. Cost me $273. :happy: Exhaust sounds very deep and seat-of-the-pants says quicker response and more power. Will try to figure out how to make a sound clip for ya. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, does anyone know about the fora flow mufflers? The dealer said they were pretty close to flowmaster, but I can't find anything out on the web. I think I spelled them wrong in the post above. (Just copying the dealers spelling).

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Glad your happy, thats ALL that matters! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
Oh yeah, does anyone know about the fora flow mufflers? The dealer said they were pretty close to flowmaster, but I can't find anything out on the web. I think I spelled them wrong in the post above. (Just copying the dealers spelling).
More and more flowmaster copies are showing up now that the pat's have expired on the basic 2 chamber. If you're looking for a nice one, try to find masterflow. They were contracted by flowmaster a few years back to mgf. flowmaster mufflers, when flowmaster couldn't keep up with the demand ( now they have a Sacramento mfg. facility ). Flowmaster severed ties with them early this year, so now they produce a muffler that has 1lb more steel in it then your std. 2 chamber, looks identical without the name, and about $15.00 cheaper.

always trying to save the customer some dough, muffman !

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I just got back from picking up my suitcase muffler and resonators from the shop in Anderson, SC. I also got the correct name for the mufflers....they are Forza-Flow Mufflers. Made in Dallas. Golly jee wiz, they even have a small website!! :happy: Lacks a lot of motor specific info but some info none-the-less. I can also see some carbon inside where the exhaust pipe meets the long tip. Moving that crap on out and breathing mucho better. Am liking the deep sound more and more...man, a breathing HEMI really makes people turn their heads...even driving around MickeyD's to the exit. The only thing I have heard better so far is a 1965 GTO with flowmasters and a cam that was at the shop when I had my forza's attached. Can't wait for the warranty to run out and it will be CompCam and header time... :whistle: Will post sound and video probably tomorrow nite or Monday. Thanks for all ya'll's help. :cool: :rockon: :headbang:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
Well, I just got back from picking up my suitcase muffler and resonators from the shop in Anderson, SC. I also got the correct name for the mufflers....they are Forza-Flow Mufflers. Made in Dallas. Golly jee wiz, they even have a small website!! :happy: Lacks a lot of motor specific info but some info none-the-less. I can also see some carbon inside where the exhaust pipe meets the long tip. Moving that crap on out and breathing mucho better. Am liking the deep sound more and more...man, a breathing HEMI really makes people turn their heads...even driving around MickeyD's to the exit. The only thing I have heard better so far is a 1965 GTO with flowmasters and a cam that was at the shop when I had my forza's attached. Can't wait for the warranty to run out and it will be CompCam and header time... :whistle: Will post sound and video probably tomorrow nite or Monday. Thanks for all ya'll's help. :cool: :rockon: :headbang:
great man, that is awesome. i am doing the same thing about the warranty (or at least my intentions are there) so i am going to see if i can drive 75,000 miles before christmas... :happy:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ROFLMAO !! Now that would be one heck of an effort for me! I have around 8500 miles on mine...bought 6/09/05. I had to get some of those miles driving from GA to AZ and back.. :whistle: I am sure that realistically I'll have that many in around 1 1/2 years. I usually max out about 63,000 per year ... since 1983 anyway :mad: that has pretty much been the case. Just can't do it before warranty says bye-bye.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Here it is. Just had it done this morning. Cut the rezz's right out. Two pics for ya'all. The car is loud in the cabin (drone I think) around 1900-2200 RPM's in 3rd. Then it settles into a nice deep rumble. Running at 65-70 in 5th very quiet but you know the engine is purring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks sweet! What size tips are those? Mine are 3 inch. Will post pics and hopefully some video tomorrow some time.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
They are 4" cans High Hemi. The car is loud. I don't think I would want it any louder either. Kinda falls in that just perfect spectrum.

My only concern, like I said, is the cabin drone. Otherwise... perfect.

Just couldn't stand the stock tips. They looked cheap. You would think they would have at least "rolled" them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts