Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2006 5.7 R/T. I've been reading the threads about different exhausts available. What do you all think of this -> http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

It's an electronic cutout (dual version available) that will open up your exhaust completely (after the catalytic converter) at the flick of a switch.

It's cheaper than a new exhaust (and louder of course) and would offer less resistance than any exhaust (I'm assuming).

Would this lead to performance gains in your opinion?
Do you think it would void a warranty?
Is this a good / bad idea?

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Need4Speed said:
I've got a 2006 5.7 R/T. I've been reading the threads about different exhausts available. What do you all think of this -> http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

It's an electronic cutout (dual version available) that will open up your exhaust completely (after the catalytic converter) at the flick of a switch.

It's cheaper than a new exhaust (and louder of course) and would offer less resistance than any exhaust (I'm assuming).

Would this lead to performance gains in your opinion?
Do you think it would void a warranty?
Is this a good / bad idea?

Thanks in advance !
I have been thinking about putting electric cutouts on my RT as well. You can open them all the way, or to any degree you want. Yes you will see performance gains from their use. I think that with the cutouts you will have the best of both worlds. I'm looking at getting them put on sometime late September after returning home from an extended work assignment. I have read that the gains are in the area of headers...from 10 to 25 horses. With the variable opening positions from full closed, to every point in between to full open, you should be able to get the most power for the need app. such as interstate cruising, 1/4 mile, etc. JMT...Cutouts made a difference on our cars in the sixties/early seventies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you do this I strongly suggest that you route the outlet of the cutout back into the stock exhaust post mufflers. If you don't do this the car is undrivable. On my Impala I can't tell if the car is spinning the tires or not due to the vibration.
NA it takes away torque down low and the car feels slower, however up top with the nitrous there is a 40HP difference on my car. To get the best results at the track I keep the cutouts closed on launch but open when the car hits second gear and I engage the nitrous.

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
From purely a opinion on sound, 'straights' are not pretty. With 18" Magnaflow steelpacks, my old 327 Chevy has the best sounding exhaust note I've heard from any engine. With straight pipes, it sounds really bad. Way too loud, with no 'musical' quality.

Please don't do that to such a good looking new car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Side pipes are cool but if you have an RT make sure you get rid on your rear spoiler
and replace it. You have cut outs in the back and if there isn't a tip there it will
look bad. Also remember these Chargers are a four door sedan with muscle car looks
don't go too crazy. Less is more sometimes. I would suggest a full cat back system
and you'll be a happy camper.

good luck

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
maneval69 said:
Side Pipes!!
i aggree with yarbie, go catback and you will be plenty happy...but the side pipe idea would look very cool....we need someone to test the idea...not it!!! i could never put side pipes on with the drop i have....wouldn't have any side pipes left after first test drive.

there are a ton of exhaust options and everyone on this thread has tried variations...i would not do this mod need4speed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts