Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. If you've also gotten this text message on the dash of your SRT Dodge, I'd really love to hear how you tackled it and what was wrong.
Thanks in advance!

My local Dodge dealer is totally baffled on how to fix this message that periodically appears on my new Bee (5000k miles), which has never had the wheels off. Mind you, this is not the low air pressure dummy light that appears on the dash when the tire pressure drops below 25 PSI. Instead I get this message as a System Warning.

I brought it in last week and they told me to ignore the manufacturer's sticker in the door (which I consider gospel on any car), informing me to set all four tires to 32 PSI. They told me to run between 35-38 PSI. I think they were confused about what I was trying to tell them. They assumed I was talking about the dummy light.

The message reappeared again this week so I drove right to Dodge and left the car running to show them. After seeing the pressure sitting at 39 PSI, they plugged in a computer and were able to see some message about the right rear wheel, however, as soon as they shut it off and restarted it, the message was gone. They kept the car overnight and couldn't get the message back.

They're telling me now that the computer should be "reset" and I shouldn't see the message any more. I'm not comfortable running my tires at cold 39 PSI which increase to 42-43 when driven at 70+ MPH. I'm going to drop it back to 35 and see if the message reappears. It seems to appear more often with lower tire pressure.

Any advice and/or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. I'm not an expert. I just want to help the guys at my local Dodge garage diagnose and fix the problem before my warranty runs out.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hey, all. If you've also gotten this text message on the dash of your SRT Dodge, I'd really love to hear how you tackled it and what was wrong.
Thanks in advance!

My local Dodge dealer is totally baffled on how to fix this message that periodically appears on my new Bee (5000k miles), which has never had the wheels off. Mind you, this is not the low air pressure dummy light that appears on the dash when the tire pressure drops below 25 PSI. Instead I get this message as a System Warning.

I brought it in last week and they told me to ignore the manufacturer's sticker in the door (which I consider gospel on any car), informing me to set all four tires to 32 PSI. They told me to run between 35-38 PSI. I think they were confused about what I was trying to tell them. They assumed I was talking about the dummy light.

The message reappeared again this week so I drove right to Dodge and left the car running to show them. After seeing the pressure sitting at 39 PSI, they plugged in a computer and were able to see some message about the right rear wheel, however, as soon as they shut it off and restarted it, the message was gone. They kept the car overnight and couldn't get the message back.

They're telling me now that the computer should be "reset" and I shouldn't see the message any more. I'm not comfortable running my tires at cold 39 PSI which increase to 42-43 when driven at 70+ MPH. I'm going to drop it back to 35 and see if the message reappears. It seems to appear more often with lower tire pressure.

Any advice and/or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. I'm not an expert. I just want to help the guys at my local Dodge garage diagnose and fix the problem before my warranty runs out.
Find a new dealer!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankly, that's not a bad idea. I need to find one in MN that knows SRTs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Check TPM System" - UPDATE

After bringing my SRT-8 Charger to the dealership four times for the same problem, they finally replaced the tire pressure sensor and reprogrammed the wireless control module on my car (TSB 08-008-07).

I helped them identify which wheel had the problem by watching the tire pressure of all four wheels (SRT's allow you to do this!) as I drove down the road at 75 MPH (not an easy thing!).

As the tires started to warm up, three of the four tires increased 1-2 PSI, my right rear tire actually went down a pound from 35 to 34. Just as it jumped back to 35, the warning message came on the screen. According the the service guy, this warning appears when the computer doesn't trust one of the sensor's readings.

Since I got the car back, I haven't had the error any more. My opinion: I think replacing the tire pressure sensor did it.

There is a possibility that I may have damaged the sensor going around a bumpy (MN roads suck!) cloverleaf at high speed with only 30 PSI in the tire. That's when the EVIC message appeared for the first time. I'll only run 35 PSI all around from now on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay - so I found this cool web page talking all about the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring) systems used on several vehicles, like the ones in the wheels of my Super Bee.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tpms.htm

Interesting: Each sensor has a battery in it that lasts approximately 10 years and then the entire sensor has to be replaced (you can't just change the battery in the sensor). Hope they're not too expensive and still available 20 years from now.

Then I see this warning:
CAUTION 1: The use of tire sealants is strictly prohibited for vehicles equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring system. Tire sealants can clog tire pressure sensors.

Huh? My SRT Charger doesn't come with a spare; it only comes with a pump and tire sealant. It sounds like my sensor will be shot if I temporarily repair a tire. Looks like I'll need to replace the sensor as well, if I get a flat tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts