Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's just that the car looks like it's faster than it's going, or if cops just assume that I'm speeding b/c of the car....but the other day I had a cop flash his lights and sound his siren at me, then turned around to come after me!

I was only going between 60 and 65 in a 55 (normal for this area). The SUV in front of me was HAULING A$$. Going around a curve, we passed a cop coming the other direction...as he drove passed the SUV, he flashed his lights. I didn't slow down b/c I wasn't speeding, and I thought he was flashing the SUV...but as he drove passed me, he sounded the siren and flashed his lights again! Still kinda confused, I just kept doing what I was doing. BUT THEN I saw him turn around to come after me!!! I guess the gap was too far for him to catch up or he got another call or something b/c he didn't ever get close again. My fiance, who's a cop, asked him later if he was going after an orange Charger, and the cop said yes. Apparently he didn't think he clocked the SUV, but he clocked me at 67, so he was gonna come after me! 67 is not something most of the cops would've turned around and chased down a car for, but, like I said in another thread, it really seems to pi$$ a lot of people off when you drive a nice, flashy, fast car.

Anyone else been profiled because of the car?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh boy, here we go again! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
yep. . i was driving on my lunch break and there was a cop in front of me. she pulled to the right, slowed down so i can pass, then pull behind me to pull me over. she got me for no front license plate, then noticed the, tail light covers, tinted windows, and loud exhaust. . she let me go with just the tint fix it ticket but still, i know what u mean about the stereo typing. .

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I actually got stopped for going too slow once.

I got on the highway in PA where it was really icy (there had been freezing rain). I was doing about 50. After entering NJ, I did not notice that the freezing rain had turned to plain old rain and, in fact, there had not been any freezing in NJ at all.

I'm in the right lane, doing about 50 and this car pulls in right behind me with his high beams on. There was no one in the middle lane, so to encourage him to pass, I slowed down a little, he stayed right behind me. I slowed down a little more (never hitting the break, just letting off the gas) he stayed right on my tail. So I continue to slowly slow down, not knowing why this @ss is sitting on my tail.. now I'm doing about 35 --- and his lights go on! I never knew it was a LOE!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts

Thorny: [after pulling car over] Do you know how fast you were going back there?
College Boy 1: Umm... 65?
Thorny: 63.
College Boy 1: But... isn't the speed limit 65?
Thorny: Yes, it is.
College Boy 3: [stoned] I'm freakin' out, man!

·
Registered
856 Posts
wow, this is terrible!......... I got pulled over for nothing either....but damn....for going too slow? wow....

·
Registered
933 Posts
I also think that your color stands out, you know like red...most cars blend into the crowd and yours is nice and stands out :) plus she's perdy...

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I will just send this so you can see my car.. imagine how often I am pulled over for looking like a "drug dealer" and searched, pulled over for being left of center 2 inches, going 3 over, even 2 over, changing lanes too many times in 200 feet (???), suspiscious activity, and noise ordinance (with my STOCK stereo)

Let's just say it's in the 3 digits.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Must... resist... agghhh!

I was only going between 60 and 65 in a 55.
You have me confused already.

I didn't slow down b/c I wasn't speeding,
Did I miss something?

...but, like I said in another thread, it really seems to pi$$ a lot of people off when you drive a nice, flashy, fast car.
So by your logic, officers are pissed off because you drive a D O D G E? It's not like we're driving Lambo's or anything spectacular.

I politely disagree that you were "profiled".

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Nothing against police officers, sometimes profiling ends up putting people behind bars who deserve it.

However, profiling someone for 5 years in a small town where all the police know me by name... is rediculous. They just don't like me. 5 or 6 of the 100 police officers here like me, the rest want me off the streets. Clean record, never been charged with anything cept ONE time wreckless endangerment... but it was dropped when officer failed to prove that I was going 97 in a 55 (1/8th mile from a stopsign) in a 1995 Ford Explorer v6 with 22's and 600lbs of audio equipment in it.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
For all 100 police officers to know me and to not like me, they would have had to have profiled me to pull me over (minus one WRECKLESS incident, where 100 cops were not present)

Also, "not liking someone" is not a driving offense, and is not a lawful reason to pull someone over. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
lol

Thorny: [after pulling car over] Do you know how fast you were going back there?
College Boy 1: Umm... 65?
Thorny: 63.
College Boy 1: But... isn't the speed limit 65?
Thorny: Yes, it is.
College Boy 3: [stoned] I'm freakin' out, man!

:smoke:
Supertroopers that movie is hilarious!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
NYT!!! I WAS LAUGHING my A$$ off.. I love that movie.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
........Isn't there a way to combine all these "I can't believe I got pulled over for breaking the law" threads into just one? <sigh>

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
There are minimum speed limits as well.
He said he was doing 50 in the right lane. I'm pretty sure the speed limits in NJ are 65 right? I highly doubt that the minimum speed limit is above 50, it's usually 45 I think. I know he said he didn't actually get pulled over until he dropped to 35 but that was a direct result of being tailgated on an empty highway (based on what the poster said, obviously I wasn't there). I think the cop was wrong for doing that.
BTW, birddog did you actually get a ticket or just a warning?
-J

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't know if it's just that the car looks like it's faster than it's going, or if cops just assume that I'm speeding b/c of the car....but the other day I had a cop flash his lights and sound his siren at me, then turned around to come after me!

I was only going between 60 and 65 in a 55 (normal for this area). The SUV in front of me was HAULING A$$. Going around a curve, we passed a cop coming the other direction...as he drove passed the SUV, he flashed his lights. I didn't slow down b/c I wasn't speeding, and I thought he was flashing the SUV...but as he drove passed me, he sounded the siren and flashed his lights again! Still kinda confused, I just kept doing what I was doing. BUT THEN I saw him turn around to come after me!!! I guess the gap was too far for him to catch up or he got another call or something b/c he didn't ever get close again. My fiance, who's a cop, asked him later if he was going after an orange Charger, and the cop said yes. Apparently he didn't think he clocked the SUV, but he clocked me at 67, so he was gonna come after me! 67 is not something most of the cops would've turned around and chased down a car for, but, like I said in another thread, it really seems to pi$$ a lot of people off when you drive a nice, flashy, fast car.

So you were speeding but using a standard excuse "I was going with the flow" with a second common excuse "everybody speeds through here".

If your fiance asked him if he was coming after you, why is it that you had to make an assumption about why he never stopped you (another call, the gap was too far). Maybe he spotted another non-speeder that he wanted to profile.

So if your fiance is a cop, does she acknowledge a lot of profiling going on in her department? I certainly would hope not. Frankly, I'm surprised she didn't tell you to stop whining and if you don't want to be "profiled", make sure that the black numbers on the speed limit sign match the numbers on your speedometer.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts