Charger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I filled my car at the local Petro Canada and noticed for the first time a non-obvious sticker on the pump, stating that
"fuel may contain a maximum of 10% ethanol"

I went through the car user's manual and found this:

CAUTION !
DO NOT use gasolines containing Methanol. Use of
these blends may result in starting and driveability
problems and may damage critical fuel system components.

Of course, Petro Canada's web site has a different opinion of their product:

"Some ethanol-blended gasoline facts:

* Fuels blended with levels of up to 10% ethanol, are safe for engine components, and do not require engine or gas-line changes in vehicles
* Since 1988, most automotive vehicles, sold in Canada, have been warranted to use ethanol- blended gasoline, at the levels of up to 10% ethanol. If you have concerns check your owners manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer
* Ethanol-blended fuels are not for aircraft. For two-stroke and four stroke engines contact the manufacturer to find out what precautions to take."

Interesting part is that Petro Canada still refers you to your car manufacturer. Lawyers hard at work, or valid worries ?

I am interested to see if any chemistry gurus in these forums can distinguish between:
* DC lawyers trying to avoid warranty lawsuit.
* Petro-Canada increasing their profit by reducing the volume of gasoline in their products.
* Real long-term threats to our fuel injection system.

Besides lowering your mpg as stated in the forum, is there any long-term threat for the car ?

...Ben...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Most gasolines sold have 10% ethanol now in my experience and it shouldn't harm your vehicle imo. I think it also said in the book that 10% ethanol was acceptable, but don't quote me on that.....could be imagining it.

Where is Arfur....lol.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the answer after having a hard second (third and fourth) look....

Manual cautions against Methanol, not ethanol.

The user's manual specifies:

Gasoline/Oxygenate Blends
Some fuel suppliers blend unleaded gasoline with oxygenates such as 10% ethanol, MTBE, and ETBE. Oxygenates are required in some areas of the country during the winter months to reduce carbon monoxide emissions. Fuels blended with these oxygenates may be used in your vehicle.

While MTBE is an oxygenate made from Methanol, it does not have the negative effects of Methanol.
The caution specifies:
CAUTION !
DO NOT use gasolines containing Methanol. Use of these blends may result in starting and driveability problems and may damage critical fuel system components.
Petro Canada's fuel:
... may contain a maximum of 10% ethanol
So ethanol sucks but is safe, Methanol is out.

...Ben...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts