Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was reading over the owners manuel, there was a statement regarding the ESP stating to not ever turn it off. I found that odd, seeing as there's a button to deactivate it. Is is bad to turn it off? Anyone have any insight on this? I've shut mine off a few times before I noticed it, but now am reluctant to do so again.

jweland

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
ESP can be shut off but there is still a babysitter there....it is actually about 20% on at all times when in the off position....so it is really never off... the srt8's built after (august -based on many people) are the only chargers that actually ever have it off all the way.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have mine off about 1/2 the time I'm driving. If they don't want it off then don't put a button there for it. I wouldn't have nearly as much fun in this car if I couldn't turn it off. There's nothing like a nice fishtail on dry pavement in a rearwheel drive vehicle. I haven't had this much fun in a car since I was 16 and just got my license. Oh, I'm 42 years old now. Never thought I'd be driving like this at this age. LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe what you guys are saying, but why do they say not to turn it off then? Thanks

jweland

·
Registered
608 Posts
just stomp on it around a corner and I'm fishtailing big time.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
J, it's liability, plain and simple. If they say never turn it off, and you do, and fistail into dcos cop:), they have no liability. They know being able to turn it off is a huge selling point, that's why it's included.

It does not turn all the way off becuase its thought that most owners will never push it hard enough to find out its still there a little bit. This is why the SRT model has the full off mode. Becuase they know damn well any gearhead serious enough to drop that amount of coin is very likely to push the car that hard.

And before folks protest that SE, SXT, R/T, and Daytona owners do indeed want to push that hard, remember, your all not the "average" owners. The fact that your here says you are more into your car than the person who drops in, signs the papers and never pops the hood.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have been driving with the ESP off since I bought the car. Use Manumatic 99% of the time also. Sequence is... start the car.... put seatbelt on, turn off ESP, shift into 1st.... go, go, go. Had a Chrysler 300 for 17 months and always had ESP off. No problems. The only dif was that the 300 was a v6 3.5 and no Manumatic. I will however use ESP when its raining out... and snow will be here very soon.

Go for it.... "Yea, Its A Hemi"... so run it.

BTW... yesterday was the first time I was able to spin the tires from a stand-still. Not much... but wasn't able to do that before. So it must be true what they say..."its gonna get faster". I have 1200 miles on it now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
nCHARGE said:
I have been driving with the ESP off since I bought the car. Use Manumatic 99% of the time also. Sequence is... start the car.... put seatbelt on, turn off ESP, shift into 1st.... go, go, go. Had a Chrysler 300 for 17 months and always had ESP off. No problems. The only dif was that the 300 was a v6 3.5 and no Manumatic. I will however use ESP when its raining out... and snow will be here very soon.

Go for it.... "Yea, Its A Hemi"... so run it.

BTW... yesterday was the first time I was able to spin the tires from a stand-still. Not much... but wasn't able to do that before. So it must be true what they say..."its gonna get faster". I have 1200 miles on it now.
I have 890 mi on mine and I hear chirps more often now. ESP off, I get a good 5-6 ft burnout. It might be just in my head because of you guys but it seems to be getting faster and faster...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
IMO, ESP should be off all the time and on when the button is pushed not the other way around. It may be my imagination but I get about 1/2 MPG better with the ESP off in town. I tend to be easy off the line most of the time so ESP only hurts my driving. With the current gas prices I try to be even lighter off the line but quick "punch jumps" in traffic to make a lane change sure are fun.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Ron Mexico said:
I have 890 mi on mine and I hear chirps more often now. ESP off, I get a good 5-6 ft burnout. It might be just in my head because of you guys but it seems to be getting faster and faster...
(Guys, he's onto the brainwashing, turn the subliminals down a notch!!!!!!)

·
Registered
608 Posts
GLHS837 said:
(Guys, he's onto the brainwashing, turn the subliminals down a notch!!!!!!)
Hehe, funnt stuff, I just wish I could get mine so I could try some of this stuff :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hey Tire burners, jack rabbit starters and high speed drivers...
You can throw some of your excess money my way....
At $3.00 plus per gallon for gas and $200 each for tires I'm not doing much showing off
BUT IT SURE IS FUN...

·
Registered
743 Posts
brooks said:
wow, i must not be trying hard enough
i havent gotten a fishtail yet, or a good burnout
almost pushbutton burnout:
1) push ESP off button
2) put in drive or 1st.
3) apply left foot to brake, only enough keep car from rolling.
4) hammer the gas.

With this "lightest" amount of "power" braking the R/Ts should smoke the tires.

save some tires for later.

·
Registered
349 Posts
GS Motorsports has a mod out to totally disable esp and torque management for the 300c srt-8 and 300c,so I would imagine the same would apply for the chargers.Don't have to be for just srt-8, ITS for EVERYONE!!!Should be one really cool mod for everyone who wants "TO SEND SMOKE SIGNALS"!! :happy: :whistle:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I heard that if you pull fuse # 17 it shuts off the ESP all the way, I have not tried it though.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
But it also kills your ABS system. And sets a code, Id imgine.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I ran a dyno on mine. In order to disable ESP and BAS I had to remove #17 and #30. Still had the speed limiter though. Stopped at 127 mph.....249.9rwhp/305.5torque....and still climbing. Am gonna run another when the correct disablers on put on the market.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts