Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I was drawn to this forum after having some problems with our 2006 SRT8 Charger. It seems like there are quite a few knowledgeable folks on this board. Well, here is what I have...

The car is squealing from the rear brakes and it turns out that the rear pads are almost worn out after 15k miles. After taking it to the dealer, they said that it was most likely caused by aggressive driving habits that in turn cause the ESP/BAS system to engage the rear brakes quite frequently. That makes perfect sense, however this is my wife's car and she has spent the last 15 months driving it around with our child of about the same age. So of course I don't think her driving is the true culprit.

The only other problem that we have is that the front tires wore down very fast on the outside edge (within 8k miles, about the time of the first rotation). We took it in to check the alignment (non-dealership) and it was fine. Again, that sounds like aggressive driving.

I find it hard to believe that the driving habits are the true cause of the premature tire and brake wear. My wife drove a Trans Am prior to this vehicle and we never had these issues. In fact, the Trans Am is 5 years old and still has the original rear brake pads. Overall, we service our vehicles on schedule and take good care of them.

Any ideas what may be causing these two issues or if they are related? I am at a loss. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
your wife is drag racing and you dont know about it!!??? hehe-it's not uncomon for the brakes needing to be replaced at 15k-and the out side edge wear is comon all so for the F1's-tire pressure checks are the key to getting 10 to 12.000 miles out of the fronts-36 to 38 psi seems to be the majic number for the front tires on the srt's

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
hehe-it's not uncomon for the brakes needing to be replaced at 15k-and the out side edge wear is comon all so for the F1's-tire pressure checks are the key to getting 10 to 12.000 miles out of the fronts-36 to 38 psi seems to be the majic number for the front tires on the srt's
I'd say alignment is a bit part of tire wear, and I'd be inclined to think a heavier car like an SRT8 is going to be more sensitive to tire wear. I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but I'm betting they have a huge permitted tolerance. I don't see any reason why an F1 should be accused of excessive wear because of its design, my original F1s on my WS6 (275mm wide) gave me 41000 miles of service before I removed them and sold them for $100 to some Mustang dude who was sick of ending up in the ditch every time it rained (I'm being totally serious here, by the way!).

Tire pressures were always 30-32 by the way.

Likewise: brakes at 15k? Jeez, I guess it depends on driving style but I'm at over 60000 miles on my original pads and rotors on my WS6 with plenty of meat left... and that's with a few road course sessions, quite a few drag days, and lots of stop/go and normal "fun" driving. If 15K is all one can expect to get from an SRT8... man, there's gotta be an upgrade available out there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with my wifes grocery getter. 30K miles, two sets of pads and a set of vented rotors covered by dealer due to recall....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts