Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but didnt see this question.

When I bought my car the salesperson was "KINDA" explaining some of the features and when he said ESP he indicated something like "you'll get a little better gas mileage" when you have it off.

Does anyone know if this (or the opposite) it true?

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I searched but didnt see this question.

When I bought my car the salesperson was "KINDA" explaining some of the features and when he said ESP he indicated something like "you'll get a little better gas mileage" when you have it off.

Does anyone know if this (or the opposite) it true?

Thanks for your help!!
I think he's an idiot, like most salesmen. :lol:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think he's an idiot, like most salesmen. :lol:
Thats what I was thinking but wanted to see if anyone had any info..

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I think you would get less since you would be more tempted to get the car sideways

·
Registered
473 Posts
It being a traction control system and not an engaged drive wheel system (i.e. AWD), it shouldn't make a difference. Theoretically, less traction would mean less friction which would in turn mean less inertia (and so on and so forth dealing with movement), so I guess there could be an argument for it if one was so inclined to do so. However, I doubt your salesman was thinking that sporatically, so I'd be inclined to agree that it doesn't matter. Good science project tho. :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It being a traction control system and not an engaged drive wheel system (i.e. AWD), it shouldn't make a difference. Theoretically, less traction would mean less friction which would in turn mean less inertia (and so on and so forth dealing with movement), so I guess there could be an argument for it if one was so inclined to do so. However, I doubt your salesman was thinking that sporatically, so I'd be inclined to agree that it doesn't matter. Good science project tho. :)
:)Ya he wasnt that deep of a thinker:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
i guess he thought that esp keeps your brakes locked while you drive around. What a moron. Thats like saying if you boost your tire pressure to 40 psi you get 10 more horsepower. He probably doesnt even know what DOHC means!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I'm talking EXTREME cases here...

One of the techniques used by PCMs to pull power during traction control/stability situations is to pull timing on the engine (no idea if the Hemi does it, but I'd be surprised if it didn't... it's a much easier and smoother way to pull power). Pulled timing equals less engine efficiency (less MPG) so I can see where a salesdroid that was *slightly* more tech-savvy might put two and two together and come up with that theory.

But MAN you'd have to have that poor ESP working overtime to have it impact your mileage (I suppose the brakes kicking in to reduce the power to the ground might soak up some efficiency there too, but you'd have to be constantly at the limits of adhesion to have it affect MPG noticeably).

So I think in a very extreme theoretical sense, it's a plausible explanation but very unlikely in the real world.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Nah, your all thinking too deep, like he really is down into it that far? He's a car salesman:)

Betcha he just got ESP and MDS crossed up:) Anyone wanna bet against that one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.