Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, im thinking about getting an engine clean on my 07 Charger and I wanted some opinions on whether there are some negatives on doing so??? One of my friends told me there nothing wrong with doing it but my dad (who is a car Fanatic), seems to think its a bad idea... :beerchug:

· Registered
20 Posts
Personally I would clean the engine yourself these new cars like my 2009 charger have way too many exposed electric wires running all through the engine if water gets to them it won't turn out well and could cause you some problems, I suggest do it by hand with some engine cleaning products and using some mothers brand polish on the metal tubes, I recently started cleaning my engine to get it ready for the socallx festival here's some photos

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

· Registered
5,560 Posts
I have never had a problem spraying down my engine bay with water. Do not use a high pressure stream or power washer. Other than that, don't have any worries about it. Modern cars are designed to be "weather proof". think about it, when you drive through a rain storm your motor gets wet, so whats the difference if you spray it with a hose? If you are that worried about it, you can blow it off with some air to help dry it.

· Registered
720 Posts
Be careful about getting water under the upper intake. If you get water on the wiring and solenoids for the MDS you will have problems. Been there and done it. There is a "Sponge" under the intake that holds water and makes a rusty mess of the solenoids. Also keep water away from the computer (by the fender) and fuse box.

· Premium Member
9,059 Posts
I go to the car wash, slightly warm engine. Spray it down with simple green, let it soak with the hood closed. Spray it with the sprayer, low pressure. I avoid the air filter and alternator. I then use the air dryer to blow off the engine. Our car wash has a big hose and nozzle for blow drying the car....

· Premium Member
1,191 Posts
So it's ok for the coil packs to get wet? I am wanting to scrub clean my 2010 Police Charger with low pressure water and soap. Figured I'd shroud the alternator and computer with aluminum foil, but am weary about getting coil packs wet.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
So it's ok for the coil packs to get wet? I am wanting to scrub clean my 2010 Police Charger with low pressure water and soap. Figured I'd shroud the alternator and computer with aluminum foil, but am weary about getting coil packs wet.
Just cleaned my 300C engine compartment, the way I've done it for decades.

I went to one of those coin-operated car washes, popped off the engine cover, and wrapped the exposed electronics with plastic and a little painter's tape (not too much, degreaser turns it into a gooey mess).

I sprayed everything down with foaming engine cleaner (either Gunk or Supertech, the Walmart house brand), let that sit for a few minutes then hit it with foaming spray from the hose (if it's a dual-pressure system, use the low pressure around your intake and electronics), then finally a clear water rinse with low pressure.

If you don't have much in the way of grease or oil deposits on the engine and it's just a dirt-and-dust cleanup, foaming spray and a clear rinse should do the job just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.