Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm new to this Forum.
Uhm, my dad owns a 2013 Dodge Charger SXT RWD with the 8-Speed transmission. hes had it about 6 month now, and has almost 8,000 miles on it. We've noticed that when he first starts it up,it idles up around 2,000rpm's and slowly idles down to about 1,100rms's. During that time, it makes a loud annoying whining kinda sound. Anyone know what this could be? Or does yours do the same thing? He says its the transmission. Sounds like an old pick-up with a stick shift transmission. Anyway, looking forward to y'alls replies. Thanks in advanced.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome! I think I know what ur talking about. Try this link, replace the dot com with .com and remove the space after charger. Anyway, if that link is what ur hearing, I think it's normal. My '13 w/ the 3.6 has made that sound since new. I've had mine 6 months with about 8k miles too. I think it's just the motor warming up and idling down.

http://www. charger****** dot com/showthread.php?p=1577199#post1577199

·
Registered
99 Posts
EDIT: Damn!..... It's charger f o r u m z for the link.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks. ^^^ I know it's been bugging both of us since he got it. He says he's gonna ask them about it when he goes to get his oil changed bit idk. Lolz. Just makes me wonder.. It only does it with the 8-speed, not the 5-speed... Does it make the same noise with the ram and grand Cherokee. Hmmm....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ur welcome. So, is that the sound your hearing from that clip? I don't understand when you say it's only the 8 speed and not the 5 speed. Mine has the 5 speed and my 3.6 makes that sound when first starting it or after sitting a while. Are you saying the transmission makes a noise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's exactly how it sounds. And yeah, we were thinking it was the transmission cause he test drove a 2012 with the 5 speed, and it didn't make that noise. But this one has been ever since he bought it. But we might be wrong. Idk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, that's exactly how it sounds. And yeah, we were thinking it was the transmission cause he test drove a 2012 with the 5 speed, and it didn't make that noise. But this one has been ever since he bought it. But we might be wrong. Idk.
Ok. Gotcha. It's weird that the 2012 didn't do it. Could be a number of reasons, but maybe the car was warmed up prior to you guys starting it? Chrysler could've adjusted something between the years for the 3.6 because I know early on it had cam phaser issues. I do wonder if its doing it on Jeeps, Rams ect that you mentioned.

On a side note.... Since we have the same motor and roughly the same mileage.....My water pump has been making a weird chirp sound that seems to come and go since about 6,500 miles. I have a video around her somewhere with the noise..... I'm just wondering if your experiencing that too? Have you heard that video yet? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know. They might've done something different or like you said, it could've been warmed up before we test drove it. And no I haven't heard that noise as far as I know. Don't know if dad has or not either. And I haven't seen that video either.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yup. No problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.