Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,682 Posts
Can it be done? Yes. Will it be a real headache? Yep.

What year 392?

Reactions: jc5013058

· Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
3,243 Posts
I love how no one researches BEFORE they spend the money anymore LMAO, always after. Yes you can do it. Yes it will bolt in to the car and the trans. No your weak open rear diff won't like it. Neither will your instantly substandard brakes. You will need 09 5.7 PCM with the 6.4 tune flashed into it and harness to use that PCM (has to have VVT). If you intend to use the active intake manifold then you'll need an rpm switch. If you're doing this yourself (which I doubt) then Hotwireauto can hook you up with PCM & harness work. Be prepared to shell out some $$. If you aren't doing this work yourself then be prepared to shell out even more $$ for a shop to do it.

· Registered
2022 White Knuckle Scatpack Charger
206 Posts
I love how no one researches BEFORE they spend the money anymore LMAO, always after. Yes you can do it. Yes it will bolt in to the car and the trans. No your weak open rear diff won't like it. Neither will your instantly substandard brakes. You will need 09 5.7 PCM with the 6.4 tune flashed into it and harness to use that PCM (has to have VVT). If you intend to use the active intake manifold then you'll need an rpm switch. If you're doing this yourself (which I doubt) then Hotwireauto can hook you up with PCM & harness work. Be prepared to shell out some $$. If you aren't doing this work yourself then be prepared to shell out even more $$ for a shop to do it.
Same logic with people who want to spend gobbs of money to upgrade and supercharge the 392 instead of just using the money to buy a hellcat with warranty lol going to spend more then it's worth just to bring it up to par with something you can buy without the headache and hassle

· Registered
2020 Charger Scatpack
110 Posts
I don't understand why you bought that engine which I assume costs a chunk of change and not be absolutely certain and informed about swapping it and doing your research an engine swap I know especially doing alone if so is not easy and you need to be 100% certain in knowing what you need and what you're doing it otherwise one wrong step and your screwed are you having a professional/shop do it? Right off the bat u should know your going to shelve cash for a rear-diff theres no way an 06 RT diff is handling 400+ hp unless you want it to go snap crackle pop

· Registered
2017 Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
3,646 Posts
Same logic with people who want to spend gobbs of money to upgrade and supercharge the 392 instead of just using the money to buy a hellcat with warranty lol going to spend more then it's worth just to bring it up to par with something you can buy without the headache and hassle
Not even remotely true. I have WELL above demon power for quite a bit less $$ than a new Hellcat with decent options and have options unavailable on either of the "upper trims" and have the power train to back up waaaay more power later on.

· Registered
206 Posts
Not even remotely true. I have WELL above demon power for quite a bit less $$ than a new Hellcat with decent options and have options unavailable on either of the "upper trims" and have the power train to back up waaaay more power later on.
Interesting what year is your charger? and how much did you spend? Im saying modern 392's that spend thousands to replicate hellcat power is what i meant if im not mistaken stock 392's can only handle so much power then you have to start essentially replacing entire components just to handle more power especially if running boost and such at that point might aswell get something with warranty if something breaks

· Registered
3,646 Posts
Interesting what year is your charger? and how much did you spend? Im saying modern 392's that spend thousands to replicate hellcat power is what i meant if im not mistaken stock 392's can only handle so much power then you have to start essentially replacing entire components just to handle more power especially if running boost and such at that point might aswell get something with warranty if something breaks
I have a '17 Scat Pack. The only things I don't have are 6 piston brakes and adaptive suspension.

After building 30+ hot rods I was finally at the point in my life that I could pay someone to build one for me. I talked to several builders, settled on one, dropped my car off and picked it up when it was done. I got a 1yr/ 30k mile warranty on it (although warranties aren't my worry) and drove away with 850rwhp and all factory options functioning. It's also set up to pulley down the f1a94, retune and add e85 to make closer to 1200rwhp and everything is there and built to hold that.

I spent roughly $36k on the build. I already had the car, which I paid (I think) $34 or $35k on brand new. It had 20k miles on it ans a year of factory warranty left on it when I dropped it off.

A new Hellcat (which won't come with some options like ACC) is at a minimum $80k (and that's being generous). To make the power I make now on pump gas, you'd easily dump another $8k-$10k into it and then hope the rear diff didn't grenade on the first launch with drag radials on lol.

· Registered
206 Posts
I have a '17 Scat Pack. The only things I don't have are 6 piston brakes and adaptive suspension.

After building 30+ hot rods I was finally at the point in my life that I could pay someone to build one for me. I talked to several builders, settled on one, dropped my car off and picked it up when it was done. I got a 1yr/ 30k mile warranty on it (although warranties aren't my worry) and drove away with 850rwhp and all factory options functioning. It's also set up to pulley down the f1a94, retune and add e85 to make closer to 1200rwhp and everything is there and built to hold that.

I spent roughly $36k on the build. I already had the car, which I paid (I think) $34 or $35k on brand new. It had 20k miles on it ans a year of factory warranty left on it when I dropped it off.

A new Hellcat (which won't come with some options like ACC) is at a minimum $80k (and that's being generous). To make the power I make now on pump gas, you'd easily dump another $8k-$10k into it and then hope the rear diff didn't grenade on the first launch with drag radials on lol.
Gotcha apologize for the ignorance on that topic I don't know much just what Im told by other owners very interesting information you bring up maybe when my warranty is up I might modify my scat theres a really cool shop here in Tampa called 1320 motorsports that does Pro charging and etc etc

· Registered
3,646 Posts
Gotcha apologize for the ignorance on that topic I don't know much just what Im told by other owners very interesting information you bring up maybe when my warranty is up I might modify my scat theres a really cool shop here in Tampa called 1320 motorsports that does Pro charging and etc etc
Whatever you do, make sure they do Mopars....and lots of them. Chevy and Ford builders/ tuners can and will FUBAR a Mopar in no time flat.

· Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
3,243 Posts
Don’t mean to hijack, have a question. On a pre vvt car is the 6.1 swap possibly easier and cheaper than any 6.4? Or having a stroked 5.7 built?
As another option.
Easier yes, as it is a non-VVT engine as well. Uses the same accessories. Stroker based on your 5.7 block is even easier; the only changes are internal. Cheaper not necessarily, 6.1's are getting scarcer (they were only in production for 6 model years) and a quality 5.7 stroker short or long block (plus labor if you can't do it yourself) isn't exactly pocket change. 6.4's on the other hand have been in production for going on 13 model years now in both SRT and truck flavors. The truck 6.4's are already getting cheaper and they have a good foundation to start with, just change cam and intake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts