Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2006 dodge charger V6 2.7L last Saturday August 4th from a car lot in Miami FL. Compared to other chargers we looked at this one seemed well cared for and ran great. Engine sounded healthy and transmission shifted smooth. 5 days after driving it off the lot it started making a consistent thumping noise when at idle in park. The next day the thumping was gone and the car delve fine. On the way home while on the freeway the car started making a VERY loud clanking noise and when at the stoplight the car rocked. Got the car home and the engine was smoking. The car would turn over but would not start at this point and are worst fear is a blown engine. We contacted the car lot and of course are getting the runnaround and told to call back next week. So now we are realizing that the lot that sold us the car will not take resoonsibility for selling us a POS and that we will have to repair this out of our pocket. So this morning, day 7, the car started and sounded fine... Not rocking and no noise. Of course we did not drive the car as we don't want to make the problem worse if that's even possible

So my question is if the engine was blown or threw a rod or whatever then would it have started right up effortlessly this morning, not making a sound and sounding healthy? What are your thoughts, opinions and advice??? Anything is helpful and greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
It clearly has a issue, my mustang ran for 4 days STRONG on 7 pistons, number 8 was GONE. It may start and sound "ok" NOW, but oil is thick, let it come up to temp and I wouldn't be shocked if it started. I would tow it to a dealer, get the cause and see if you can stop payment of the car. Try calling the place Monday, but it sounds like a shady corner buy here pay here spot...

·
Registered
745 Posts
If the engine went then the answer is no, it would not have started and ran fine. Can be a BUNCH of other things including an engine GOING bad.
Bad Gas
Water or foreign substance in the gas
clogged fuel filter
bad sensor(s)
bad computer
etc etc...
Do NOT drive the car until a mechanic checks it over or risk making it much worse.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
^ Not 100% true bud, like I said cars will take some abuse. My car popped and I drove it for 3 days and on the 4th I drove it to the dealer, my buddies TBSS spun a #6 rod bearing and still started up and idled for a minute or two...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lot does have buy here pay here however we got a traditional loan on the vehicle. And the down payment was placed with my debit cardm so there is no stopping payment... We called the bank and the check has already been sent to the car lot so we are now fully responsible in the banks eyes.

If it did throw a rod wouldnt we still hear the clanking when we started it this morning? And what do you think the chances are of having it rebuilt VS buying a used engine? Been looking today and the cost to purchase an engine is $2000+

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the engine went then the answer is no, it would not have started and ran fine. Can be a BUNCH of other things including an engine GOING bad.
Bad Gas
Water or foreign substance in the gas
clogged fuel filter
bad sensor(s)
bad computer
etc etc...
Do NOT drive the car until a mechanic checks it over or risk making it much worse.
It would be great if the problem was any of what you listed above over a bad engine but if it is one of the problems you listed I wouldn't think it would cause a very loud clanking noise?

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you signed a as is disclosure your s.o.l unless the dealership is nice and will help you out.

Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting the dealer to fix it.

To the person that said stop payment, really??? thats pretty ****ty and will more than likely land your ass in court, as im sure a contract was signed.

Its buyer beware on used cars, did you have it checked out before buying it?

It sucks but it does happen.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Something broke inside, NYC SRT8 is a good guy and I am in no way arguing but I would be it broke, I thought I remember the 2.7's having valve spring issues so it's totally possible that's your issue. But the reason it sounded ok this morning was the oil was cold and thick this morning, let it come up to temp and I would bet the issue comes back.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
If you signed a as is disclosure your s.o.l unless the dealership is nice and will help you out.

Good luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting the dealer to fix it.

To the person that said stop payment, really??? thats pretty ****ty and will more than likely land your ass in court, as im sure a contract was signed.

Its buyer beware on used cars, did you have it checked out before buying it?

It sucks but it does happen.

I would ABSOULTY stop payment till I tore through that contract with a fine tooth comb and saw what I could come up with....I didnt say NOT to pay them just buy some breathing room..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would ABSOULTY stop payment till I tore through that contract with a fine tooth comb and saw what I could come up with....I didnt say NOT to pay them just buy some breathing room..
We still owe $1000 on the down payment and we are considering stopping payment on the two checks we wrote for the remainder. It may be ****ty but it is also ****ty to nit stand behind a product you sold or at the very least communicate with us about the situation. We are being avoided. We are told every time we call to call back in 30 minutes or that the manager is with another customer. We were told by a salesman yesterday to call today and the owner will be here. So we did Better than that and went to the car lot. When we got ther "the owner was not in today" and were told to come back Tuesday. They are doing much worse and already got there $10000!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Man im not trying to be a ****, but lets put it this way, you sale your car to someone and days later it f's up.

Are you going to return there money? I'd say no. And if they put a stop payment on funds what would you do?? I guarantee you just wouldn't let it slide.

Fact is you bought a 6-7 year old car, with NO WARRANTY, what did you expect to happen if something went wrong?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man im not trying to be a ****, but lets put it this way, you sale your car to someone and days later it f's up.

Are you going to return there money? I'd say no. And if they put a stop payment on funds what would you do?? I guarantee you just wouldn't let it slide.

Fact is you bought a 6-7 year old car, with NO WARRANTY, what did you expect to happen if something went wrong?

Your right and I'd agree with you in most cases. However, if I owned any kind of business then I would no reputation is very important for longevity of the business. If the lot would respect us as customers and communicate with us then my feelings would be different. We were promised a 30 day guarantee on the engine and transmission. And unfortunately the snakes neglected to give us that signed document among a few other documents.

I'm from Washington state and maybe things are different up here but I've bad friends have cars break down a month after purchasing and the car lot taking some responsibility and covering half the repair costs. It's the fact that we are being brushed aside and avoided that pisses me off! The least they could do is tell is to **** off

·
Registered
462 Posts
Your right and I'd agree with you in most cases. However, if I owned any kind of business then I would no reputation is very important for longevity of the business. If the lot would respect us as customers and communicate with us then my feelings would be different. We were promised a 30 day guarantee on the engine and transmission. And unfortunately the snakes neglected to give us that signed document among a few other documents.

I'm from Washington state and maybe things are different up here but I've bad friends have cars break down a month after purchasing and the car lot taking some responsibility and covering half the repair costs. It's the fact that we are being brushed aside and avoided that pisses me off! The least they could do is tell is to **** off
I hope you can get them to make good on that 30 day deal. Sounds like maybe you would have something against them.

We have a lot of shady buy here pay here lots where i live, this goes on all to much.

I really do hope you can get them to stand behind the 30 day deal. Best of luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate your thoughts but this thread was intended for advice and opinions concerning repairs of the car. I was venting a bit when explaining the events leading to our situation now. We were hopeful for the Car lot to at least take partial responsibility however we are prepared to receive no help from them. We have already arranged to bring it to a reputable shop Monday morning...

If you have any other opinions on what could be wrong with the car please share!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks CL. I'm hopeful but not holding my breath. I'm pretty sure now that verbal guarantee was just a sales pitch. We will see. We are still taking it to the shop on Monday to get a diagnostics and estimate of repair... I don't trust the car lot to identify the problem correctly or fix it at this point.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Let us know what the shops says about your vehicle also how many miles are one it it seems the 2.7 only lasts about 100K or so then either gives out or starts having major issues.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Internet legal advice is worth what you pay for it...nothing.

Get a lawyer and get some sound legal advice for your situation and your documentation before you do something that makes a bad situation worse.

If you follow any advice you get here and get screwed, who's to blame? ;)

·
Registered
850 Posts
The really sad part of this, beyond what you have had happen so far, is you are going into a dealer or shop that odds are, is worse at telling you what is wrong as we are on here. IF you are very lucky, they will have a clue, but don't hope for it. If you walk in all scared and sheepish, you will be sheared..Make them show you how they know what is wrong and not just guessing..

After that, there are salvage yards with motors if needed too.

Griz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the car is at AAMCO now. They found that the wiring to the fan was rigged bad and the car had overheated even though the temp gauge did not indicate this. The wiring is being repaired and new coolant added at a cost of $480 :-( they said this must be done before determining whether or not the engine is still good or bad... I will keep you all posted

1 - 20 of 28 Posts