Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm probably about to ask something that's been talked about and possibly even solved because I've googled my problem but haven't really found a similar situation, but, for sometime now when I'm getting up to speed I'll hear what sounds like rattling/clattering coming from the front end, it comes on in the middle of acceleration up to speed and fades away once I am up to speed, it makes me think of valve clattering but it's not consistent with the engine rpms, it'll do it while it's shifting and the rpms lower the sound doesn't change. It wasn't real loud at first but now you can't ignore it, and just today as it was happening I let of the gas and it stopped and continued when I pressed it again while going down the road.
I plan on recording it the best I can and letting everybody hear it but it just sounds on the order of tapping or rattling, If I gotta replace the valves train I need to know before I get my tax check, I heard it could be the egr valve but I wouldn't know the symptoms of a bad electronic egr valve, if anybody has any clue on where to start looking to fix this I'd be very appreciative! The engine sounds so damn good and I hate how it's ruined by this noise.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
What year is the car, which engine and how many miles?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
A rattle is pretty distinct from Hemi tick or an engine knock. When my suspension was acting up it would rattle at the weirdest of times. One of those was below cruising speed. Normal acceleration or down from cruising speeds I would hear a rattle and thought at first I had a loos hood latch or hood hinges making the rattle.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
i would put a full can of Sea Foam to a full tank of high test to clean out and deposits left by using 💩fuel.
Great stuff to keep your fuel system clean
Can be bought at any parts store and enemies Wally Mart has it.
Y

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,898 Posts
Upload to utube and link us.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok here it is (I hope) I've never uploaded to YouTube before so I hope the sound quality is good enough to hear the rattling, let me know what you think!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Feels like it increases in frequency as you accelerate...hmm..

Wondering if it could be lifters - are you able to isolate which side of the engine the sound seems to be originating from when you raise the hood and go over each bank?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've tried replicating the sound in park and it won't do it, to me it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, someone from my work told me today it could be a pulley, but it doesn't change with engine speed it just fades in and out as I'm getting up to speed, that's the only time I hear it, I don't hear it immediately at take off and it fades out once I'm at the 40 or 50 mph range

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I'm wondering if it could be a failing water pump...

I'd wait to see if someone else can weigh in on this as well...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts