Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 3000 miles on my 2007 RT R&T and it is going in to check out an engine oil leak. I thought at first it was the trans leak that everybody seems to get, but after I blotted the oil off the concrete I see it is engine oil. Put it up on ramps this evening, and can't tell where it is coming from. It looks a lot like a rear main leak or maybe oil pan gasket, I can only hope it is coming from higher up...valve cover gasket or oil pressure sending unit maybe? This sucks...oil consumption isn't outrageous but still can't live with a steady leak like this. Hopefully the shop can find it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yikes! Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: The dealership has had my Charger for two days now, I was having a tire rotation and inspection sticker done, they still haven't found the source of the leak. Apparently they used dye to verify it is an engine oil leak but don't see the source. Idling on the rack it doesn't leak, but take it a drive and it is leaking when you get back. Sounds oil pressure sensitive to me, but I guess it could be sloshing...maybe oil pan gasket? I fear rear main seal, I hope I'm wrong. I've found very little info on the internet about engine oil leaks on the 5.7's.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update #2: Three weeks have gone by since my first service appointment. Long story short: Initially they thought it was an oil pan gasket, on closer inspection found a torn gasket for the rear seal retainer. They pulled tranny, r/r'ed the retainer gasket, and put everything back together. Today found out it is still leaking. Chrysler has told them to pull tranny again, and pressurize the oil system through the oil dipstick to find the source of the leak. Looks like it may be a porosity in the block. This is on an '07 with 3300 miles.
I had to go from nice guy to dissatisfied customer with the service department, but looks like they are stepping up. Wish me luck. Block porosity means new short block at least, maybe whole new engine, I don't know exactly what they would replace.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That sucks man. I feel for you. With so few miles, I would have to push for a new car rather than engine replacement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sucks man. I feel for you. With so few miles, I would have to push for a new car rather than engine replacement.
While I would gladly trade my black R&T for an orange Daytona, I know that Dodge has financial guidelines they follow and they would never go for it. The dealership did offer me a car to drive while mine is laid up, but I declined for now. Three weeks without my Charger so far.

This is my 8th Chrysler vehicle, and of the three new ones, all three have had mechanical initial quality problems. :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow, that is messed up bro. Sorry to hear it and please continue to update us with new findings or outcomes...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update #3: Picked the car up at 7:30PM. The service guys stayed late to finish it up. They found that their own installation of the retainer gasket was messed up. They didn't have one in stock, but removed & siliconed the one that was in there. It isn't leaking right now, they have requested I bring it back in a couple of days to check it for leaks.

The service advisor cleaned the car himself, it is clean and perfect, the way I brought it in. So that much is pleasing.

We'll see how it holds up. I just hope they didn't find a porosity in the block and JB Weld it! For those interested, the tech removed and replaced the tranny in about 4.5 hours or a little less.

The drive home was awesome. He sure is running good.

I'll keep y'all updated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update #4: Drove the Charger to work and back today (100 miles or so) and it is leaking tonight. Same as before. I'm not going to let it go back into the shop until the dealership has a plan, that is, getting some factory support. I'll be darned if it is going to sit 3 weeks again while these guys try to figure out what to do.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I'm quite at Lemon Law status yet...the car does run, and the dealership is trying to get it fixed. I just don't want them wasting my time by trying the same thing over and over and it doesn't work. Sounds like a porosity or crack in the block to me. They couldn't find it with the tranny out, but it is possible that the way the block is stressed when the tranny is bolted up opens up the crack. If I'm right it would mean a new engine. I can't imagine that Dodge would spring for anything more than a new short block, with the dealership changing over the heads, intake, accessories, etc.

I hope I'm wrong and they can find something easier. But I've been hoping that for almost a month now.

It is a shame because the car runs good. The engine is quiet, good power, and get good mpg. I hate to mess with a "runner". But I can't have an unsolved oil leak either.

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any new news?
Not really. The shop is insisting the leak is coming from the rear main seal retainer housing gasket. They want to order the necessary parts and replace the gasket...again. Me, I don't believe in coincidence. Fix the same part twice and it still leaks...time to move on.

I bought the car in NC and their lemon law is 4 trips to the shop for the same problem, 15 business days without use of the car, and I'm entitled to a replacement. I really, really don't want to go that route, but we'll see.

I've talked to the dealer where I purchased the car (3 hours away) and they said bring it in. They were fairly horrified this has gone on so long, told me I should call Chrysler. They said if they get the car in their shop, that is the first thing they'd do.

I don't feel so bad about it since I'm driving the car again. It just bothers me when I see the spots on the garage floor.

By the way, the service manual says porosity in the engine block or crankshaft seal flange is a possibility.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Finally got some more answers today. The service advisor says the company wants to replace the short block. This is reasonable following the service manual guidelines. Apparently it could be a porosity in the crankshaft or the engine block. Since they can't be sure they will replace both.

I have a feeling it will take a while to get everything ready for the swap, but as long as I have the car to drive in the meantime I'm not TOO upset. It is leaving a pretty good puddle in the garage but I haven't had to add any oil in the last 1000 miles.

I'll let y'all know when they finally make the swap.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Update: Finally got some more answers today. The service advisor says the company wants to replace the short block. This is reasonable following the service manual guidelines. Apparently it could be a porosity in the crankshaft or the engine block. Since they can't be sure they will replace both.

I have a feeling it will take a while to get everything ready for the swap, but as long as I have the car to drive in the meantime I'm not TOO upset. It is leaving a pretty good puddle in the garage but I haven't had to add any oil in the last 1000 miles.

I'll let y'all know when they finally make the swap.
with 3300 miles on teh car i would tell them to keep it and give you another.

THREATEN THE LEMON LAW.

no kidding here.
tell them you want a new car period.

if they wont do that INSIST on a 100,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper.

get something for them keeping the car a month now

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I simply don't qualify for the lemon law. I bought it in NC, I would need 4 attempts to repair the same problem and 15 (business) days without use of the car.

I've had the car and been driving it the last two weeks, waiting for the dealership to decide what to do. If they drag their feet on the engine swap once they have the car, I'm going to start filing paperwork.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts