Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have tried searching and could not find anything. I have noticed a slight engine knock or ping and was wondering what I could do to get rid of it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm experiancing kinda the same thing after she has warmed up and you sit in drive or rev. No knock in Neutral or Park. Just in Drive and Rev at idle. Is this what you're seeing too?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I hear mine when accelatering or going up big hills.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Try using 89 for a few weeks if no change i say see the dealer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Try using 89 for a few weeks if no change i say see the dealer.
x2 and make sure you go to the brand name stations, my personal fave right now is Shell. My bet is bad gas... I'd freak if my baby ever pinged or knocked.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The predator tuner said use brand gas and mobil knocked the least.

C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My engine knocks like described by Big Harm, under heavy accelaration - at about 4.5 to 5 k rpm- only have 1200 miles on the engine. it is a HEMI 5.7 in a 2006 fully stock no mods - I have been searching in vain for a hard answer to the problem- Used brand gas and different octanes just to see if it would change- it is still the same. Going to take it to the dealer on 3-8-08 will post results.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My engine knocks like described by Big Harm, under heavy accelaration - at about 4.5 to 5 k rpm- only have 1200 miles on the engine. it is a HEMI 5.7 in a 2006 fully stock no mods - I have been searching in vain for a hard answer to the problem- Used brand gas and different octanes just to see if it would change- it is still the same. Going to take it to the dealer on 3-8-08 will post results.
Do a search for "Hemi Tick" and see if that is what you have. Hemi's do have a normal tick.

As for the V-6, see below......

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Does anyone have some vids of engine knock or sound clips? I would love to know this sounds so I could identify it when I hear it. I want to be able to know if I am pinging.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have something very similar to this, but it is only when i first start my car and let it idle as soon as i get going it seems to go away. It sounds like a loose valve or something? Maybe bad gas? I use 91 maybe i will try to switch to 89 for a week or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do a search for "Hemi Tick" and see if that is what you have. Hemi's do have a normal tick.

As for the V-6, see below......
I have searched for weeks now , here and other dodge forums as well. The hemi tick is descibed as being heard at idle as well as throughout the rpm range of the engine with increasing speed as the engine speed increases.
My car just makes the denotation at max torque or somewhere around there. You WOULD think that someone by know would have a sound clip of all lovely Hemi sounds and a diagnosis with each- I have actually tried to capture this with a mic under the hood, but between normal engine noise, exhaust, wind and other road noise ( live in NYC) I could not seperate the noises from the rattling, ticking I hear.

thanks for your help however.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have some vids of engine knock or sound clips? I would love to know this sounds so I could identify it when I hear it. I want to be able to know if I am pinging.
Well i finally found the sound that I am experiencing , i guess it is normal because they would not advertise it- I thought it might be normal since I first heard it. Found it at youtube keyword / title " 300c dyno" , it is right before the end of the clip when the car is at top speed before getting of the gas.

Hope this helps others with the same issue- I just never heard it before- been a long time since my 1970 Cutlass.
:grin:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have searched for weeks now , here and other dodge forums as well. The hemi tick is descibed as being heard at idle as well as throughout the rpm range of the engine with increasing speed as the engine speed increases.
My car just makes the denotation at max torque or somewhere around there. You WOULD think that someone by know would have a sound clip of all lovely Hemi sounds and a diagnosis with each- I have actually tried to capture this with a mic under the hood, but between normal engine noise, exhaust, wind and other road noise ( live in NYC) I could not seperate the noises from the rattling, ticking I hear.

thanks for your help however.
Hopefully this will help. The first thread has an audio clip.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50442&highlight=tick+audio

http://www.rumblebee.org/viewtopic.php?t=15855&highlight=tick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts