Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS THERE A COMPANY THAT MAKES OR CAN YOU PAINT THE ENGINE COVER ON A HEMI THE COLOR OF THE CAR? I HAVE AN INFERNO RED AND WOULD LIKE THE ENGINE COVER TO BE THE SAME. IF YOU PAINT IT HOW LONG WILL IT LAST WITH THE HEAT FROM THE ENGINE? THANKS

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i did my engine cover this past weekend....way too easy if you take your time and are patient. i will post pics in a bit....i know bstower did his hemi orange it looked great. not too sure about the same color as your car though....i used spray paint and a clear coat and i love the way it came out and i am super anal about things looking right.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looking forward to the pics. Did you use a high heat paint? I noticed that it seems to get pretty warm, at least in AZ. I will be painting mine some time, I don't think Hemi orange looks right on a Go-ManGo orange car....

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
dupli-color high heat engine paint with a high heat engine clear coat... if i remember right it is good to either 400 or 500 degrees. i will get pics soon - i am waiting for the car to cool down to put the engine cover on. i let it sit out and cure for a few days. not done either - still trying to make a decision on chrome or not and then decal for the top...i have tons of ideas and not enough covers to try them on...lol

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/swilliams052601/album?.dir=8034

ok guys - tell me what you think? be nice its my first time....lol! i am going to take a pic tomorrow during the day - the last 3 didn't show the color or the gloss that well.

scott aka godaddy

oh one last thing...i need help on making a decision....should i go with a blue mopar M on the top piece with "mopar" in black lettering under it or should i go with a silver M and black "mopar"....also what about the chrome pieces for the 3 flare things on the each side...too much? any input would be cool!!!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Man you did a good job bro!....Is your ride midnight blue? Or is that just the color you prefered?

·
Registered
403 Posts
looks like you needed more sanding if any and other then that its pretty clean. I like the blue. How well does it match the factory paint?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
silver steal.....blue for all accessories....ie. mopar intake...i have blue for brake calipers also....so wet sand her.....i am scared to death to wet sand.

i decided to either go with red or blue for accessories and went with the blue b/c of mopar and blue.....stupid i know!!!!

oh pics 85 to 88 are before the clear coat also....i will get some day pics i think it looks better than those pics show.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Great job on the cover! Bet that took a while to tape up. Just might have to do mine in Inferno Red!! :clap:

·
Registered
403 Posts
no Im not talking about wet sand. It looks like the prep was not complete. I assume you primed but did you sand that smooth as you could? If so then yes a wet sand with 1000 grit should shine it up a bit but I see a orange peel surface it could be the monitor it just looks like it needed more prep? Regarless still NICE.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
hey goofy guy i took a look at the pics are you talking about pic 88...that is a reflection of my shirt (i had an orange shirt on).....hehe..it is that glossy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah, I used the Dupli-Color high temp spray paint. About 2,500 miles and it's holding up fine. I just had it off yesterday when cleaning the engine and gave it a close look.

Eventually, I'll probably redo it in Inferno Red. Or, more accurately, I'll probably buy another cover and do that one in Inferno Red. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
GoDaddy said:
hey goofy guy i took a look at the pics are you talking about pic 88...that is a reflection of my shirt (i had an orange shirt on).....hehe..it is that glossy.
ha thats frigin great man. Then kick ass man thats an excellent job you wanna sell em on ebay?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
ok someone posted a little while ago what orange peel is.....ok i am stupid. but the reason the cover looks like that is b/c the engine cover has that texture to it....so i did a very light sanding b/c i wanted to keep the texture...however when i did clear coat it...i noticed the texture faded a little b/c of the clear coat. sorry goofyguy i sounded like an idiot!!!!

it was my intent to keep it as close to original texture as possible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This may sound cliche but.. sweeet.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you want do paint the engine cover there is a company (www.22elite.com)that will do a core exhange. They paint and do what ever you want. There are a lot of options, but keep in mind to do this mod, keep the engine compartment clean. Here's a picture of mine, pretty much the same as the Charger cover. It is color matched to the car w, black pearl stipping and lettering. It also has a polished stainless top.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
looks great! i looked at their website, then looked at the price....then looked at other forum members cover. thought about it and what you see on my car was only $20 and a few days to get it the way i like it....still waiting on the chrome pieces for the three side flares and my decals for the top.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I agree with you. I've seen both styles DIY and sent out. Bottum line is what works for you and what you want to accomplish, who acres how we get there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts