Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you self modified your 5.7 engine cover? I have a sublime Daytona and I was considering taping off the white Hemi lettering and using Dupilcolor Hemi Orange spray paint to make the cover look a little more performance oriented. I would clean it before applying paint, ofcourse. I just cannot see spending $250 for a custom cover when I may be able to do it myself. Has anybody played with these covers before? Any advise? I have always associated the hemi with its color, so I thought I would bring back some of that heritage. Thanks for any ideas.

-Justin

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Not yet but I plan too. Going to paint the dark section a flat black, since I dont like the charcoal color. Then I will tape off the Hemi orange sections, and the parallel lines, and paint them Top Banana. I probably wont do it for about 6 weeks though.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
i attempted mine, but goofed up. I'm going to get another cover and try it again though. i like doing things like that myself. plus, i was really impressed with what i made, even though it was goofed up, if still looked nice. make sure you spray a base coat of plastic primer or high temp primer, that where i goofed. the top of the cover didn't stick in one area and peeled the smallest bit and i wasn't able to get it to look right. you can hardly see it, but i want it to be almost perfect.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If your going to paint the plactic spray it with adhesion promoter from an auto body paint suplier they sell it in spray cans for the do it yourselfer. its the only way the paint is going to stick!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
If your going to paint the plactic spray it with adhesion promoter from an auto body paint suplier they sell it in spray cans for the do it yourselfer. its the only way the paint is going to stick!!!!!!
that's what i was talking about

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I removed my 5.7L cover and put a set of 6.1L covers on..

-R

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
778087864110_0_BG.jpg

I bought the regular grey one to paint & boxed up the original one.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
WOW I see I need to update this pic. I also have the purple Hemi stickers from Reflective Concepts on as well!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Iwas going to sugest Reflective Concepts... they might have something as in tape stipes and such , if you didn`t want to paint.

YES DO A PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTOR and you might scuffit with a scotchbrite pad.

Scott

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am in the process of painting mine now. In case someone doen't know this, you can remove the orange center piece before spraying it. I went to a custom auto paint store to match my Plum crazy paint. But I have a small problem. I put too much primer on(after the adhesive ) and it cracked. then I sanded. Now there are small craters that show through.:cry: I mean that you can see small potholes through the topcoat. How can I fix this before doing any more painting. Would a small amount of plastic filler work? I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here's mine.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Here are mine, took me several months to get it all done.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
i JUST PHOTOBUCETED IT tHIS MAY NOT SHOW IT SO WELL BUT YOU GET MY GIST.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm wanting to attempt this but the only paint company out here tried to tell me he couldn't mix Plum Crazy nor could either of us order it since it is so new. Can anyone help me with somewhere to get the paint, be it online or in Western Washington?? BTW the custom ones you guys are showing in this thread look awesome!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
PLUM CRZY 1074 - Suggest you get some auto body spot putty. It will fill in all those little spots and sand smooth.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm wanting to attempt this but the only paint company out here tried to tell me he couldn't mix Plum Crazy nor could either of us order it since it is so new. Can anyone help me with somewhere to get the paint, be it online or in Western Washington?? BTW the custom ones you guys are showing in this thread look awesome!!
PaintScratch.com

Great paint, perfect match in my Go ManGo. I must have gotten over eight cans already :grin:

·
Registered
197 Posts
PaintScratch.com

Great paint, perfect match in my Go ManGo. I must have gotten over eight cans already :grin:
Thanks man, and once again, very nice ride you have!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts